Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

51 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Double batch of Aussie Lager. 8.5kg grain, 45l mash and 10l sparge water. Just shy of two very full cubes.

IMG_9832.thumb.jpeg.7593435b6da48281f98ce4b864429163.jpegIMG_9833.thumb.jpeg.3c8a911ad27b00b7a20f3de3ae032073.jpegIMG_9837.thumb.jpeg.8cf4d07890a551343811fad4092277e5.jpegIMG_9838.thumb.jpeg.21ac2aba7a1bdd73994a9b07ef6b8ae0.jpegIMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.fd9ad618d540eedecfe193abd563e936.jpegIMG_9840.thumb.jpeg.6416daeabccee742962fa7c59c0e3acc.jpeg

How are you finding the Gen 4 Brewzilla AK as compared to your Guten? I think thats what you had previous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

How are you finding the Gen 4 Brewzilla AK as compared to your Guten? I think thats what you had previous.

Generally, all is ok. It's the finer details that I need to work on. There are a lot more bells and whistles on the BZ, I didn't have with the Guten. The latter was a more simple device and in the end a tad easier to handle. I'm still getting used to the BZ but I think I am winning. 

• Like 4

Brew day on Saturday 20th Jan, batch #110 AG #67, it was another @ozdevil's USPA of 44 L.  Got two cubes now cooled and sitting here waiting to go in the FV. 

If I can get the new 58 L SS Kegmenter unpacked, all cleaned up and sanitised in time then it will go in that for the virgin ale batch. Will be using US05 yeast again for this brew and will do a pressure ferment on it to see how the yeast handles higher temps and 15 psi of pressure.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day on Saturday 20th Jan, batch #110 AG #67, it was another @ozdevil's USPA of 44 L.  Got two cubes now cooled and sitting here waiting to go in the FV. 

If I can get the new 58 L SS Kegmenter unpacked, all cleaned up and sanitised in time then it will go in that for the virgin ale batch. Will be using US05 yeast again for this brew and will do a pressure ferment on it to see how the yeast handles higher temps and 15 psi of pressure.

I hope it all goes very well Al for the 58l ss Kegmenter virgin run . i must brew  my us pale ale again  that was a ripper of a beer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, that's probably enough for you for a few days. 🤣

Nah it will ferment under pressure whilst I am on shift, then keg in a few weeks when back on break. 
‘It will certainly be fermented in the 14 days I am away, probably 11 day ferment, 3-4 day Cold Crash, then keg. 

• Like 3

Brew day today batch #101 AG #68 another 44 L of my Carlton Draught clone and again using some toffee malt.

Trying a higher mash temp this morning of 69 C and was not watching closely enough as I was heating it up from 45 C to the next mash step of 69 C on gas and it slipped up to 76 C before I caught it and cooled it back into the zone.  Been caught before due to being distracted and it has not had any effect on the beer as not long enough at the high temp, but we will see what the numbers and efficiency come in at later.

• Like 3

OK Brew Day all done, and numbers came in a bit over predicted, pre boil G +2 and post boil G +3 so instead of being a 4.7 % ABV beer it will now likely be a 5 % ABV.  Mash E = 85.0 % and BHE = 81.3 %.  Post boil volume came in at +2.1 L up so might get enough wort left after filling two cubes for a yeast starter which should be about right if I water the starter leftovers down to lower the SG with about half a litre of boiling water, we will see.

• Like 4

Recipe: Sour

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 7.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          50.0 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.63 L        
5.00 g           Sorachi Ace [11.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           3          7.8 IBUs      -             

Philly sour yeast
Some fruit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@ben 10 , very low bitterness there, is that a characteristic of a sour?

For and on behalf of @ben 10, yes it is.  Other than 1 at 20 IBU, all of my sours are less than 12 IBU.  I was admittedly, just following recipes.  I suspect that if you do a high bitterness, it might clash with the sour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

For and on behalf of @ben 10, yes it is.  Other than 1 at 20 IBU, all of my sours are less than 12 IBU.  I was admittedly, just following recipes.  I suspect that if you do a high bitterness, it might clash with the sour.

Thanks, yes, my logic was giving me an uppercut when I asked that question so all good.  Ta!

• Like 3

A double batch of mid strength pale ale. Starting to figure out the BrewZilla, its settings, volumes etc. Another double batch on Sunday and I should be able to get things going again. Still need something quick but I’ll see.

IMG_9868.thumb.jpeg.06e55399f0bba94bdb75cc03a87bb195.jpegIMG_9871.thumb.jpeg.6929239d0e9086ba3637239e424ed7fb.jpegIMG_9872.thumb.jpeg.548c0047bca7df1422cb6a54709108e4.jpegIMG_9876.thumb.jpeg.b10c7ab8e385dffc354fb6260393ae41.jpeg

• Like 7

Brew day started this morning, another 150 Lashes clone for 44 L.  This is batch #112 AG batch #69.

It will be cubed up to cool off then dropped in on top of the US05 trub after my 44 L of OzDevils USPA is kegged tomorrow.  Might have to get another couple of kegs or back off production a bit ha ha.😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

I have about 60 grams of hallertau mittelfruh  hops and I want to make a 23 litre pilsner has anyone got an idea for a no chill AG recipe?

What beer seeds (grains) do you have BB?

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day started this morning, another 150 Lashes clone for 44 L.  This is batch #112 AG batch #69.

It will be cubed up to cool off then dropped in on top of the US05 trub after my 44 L of OzDevils USPA is kegged tomorrow.  Might have to get another couple of kegs or back off production a bit ha ha.😁

Brew day done and dusted including clean up.  Took my time today so was a relaxing brew day.  Pre-boil SG came in at +4 and post boil SG also came in at +4 so, instead of a 4.5 % ABV it will turn out closer to a 4.9 % ABV unless I water it down a tad.

Recipe efficiencies predicted a mash efficiency of 85 % and a brew house efficiency of 81.3 % but batch figures were up, being actual ME= 94% and BHE = 85.0 %.  I think it's because I do a very thin mash, i.e. a high volume of mash water (45 L) to grains (8.3 kg) and stir the mash about every 10 minutes or so.

Sparge is about 18 L at 76 C.

I also do the first step of the mash at 45 C for 20 mins then 69 C for 60 mins before a 10 - 15 mins mash out at 76 C.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks for the reply mate I found one on brewfather

All good BB.  As you are probably aware, @Otto Von Blotto is the GOD of Pilsners on this forum so maybe bounce any questions you have off his expert knowledge.

• Thanks 1