Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Picked up some beers from Dans:

Hop Thief 8 - I loved the 6 but was a little disappointed with the 7. The 8 is much better; I like it. The first thing you get is a big hit of Cascade.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA - I tried this in the U.S. (Where it was much cheaper). It's a really nice IPA. A bit smoother than the Big Eye but I am not sure which I like better.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up Weihenstaphaner Bayrisch Dunkel, snags are on the menu tonight.

Picked up a bottle of Mountain Goat American style Pale Ale last week, the one with strange blue/green color scheme. Do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket. Poor.

Zywiec Porter- Was a long time coming, and as good as you would expect it to be.

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout- Ok. Never had one since as good as the first one i had- chocolate and smoke.

Picked up an assortment of beers on Sunday, most of which i hadn't tried before and a couple of goodies worth shelling out for again.

1. Pirate Life IPA - a cracking beer this is specially if you like West Coast IPA's. Simcoe, Centennial and Riwaka punching my tastebuds

2. Pirate Life/Hopco colab NZ Pale Ale - a real hop forward Pale that's in IPA territory as far as hops are concerned, but malt takes a backseat.

3. Pirate Life/Golden Era Records colab Golden Ale - as expected this was a hopped out Golden ale. Hilltop hop hoods! Nice smashable beer with Summer and Amarillo featured.

4. Boatrocker Alpha Queen Highly Hopped pale - i have enjoyed all the beers I've had from these guys in Braeside,Victoria and this was no different. Worthy.

5. Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA - This is the 2nd beer I've tried from this brewery in California. This beer reminded me of Big Eye although a sweeter backbone. Shiteloads of US "C" hops i suspect. The other one of their's ive tried was a blood orange gose which was ok, but the only beer of that style I've tried so i can't say much.

6.Eel River Brewing Co. Emerald Triange IPA - another Cali brewery, but i haven't tried this yet. Anyone else had any beers from these guys?

Cheers,

Luke

• 1 month later...

Scored three of the Pirate Life line up for my birthday.

9DA3D87D-2395-4646-961C-104B69FE8202.jpg

My favourite is the Pale Ale. Great balance, lovely fresh hoppy flavour and aroma.

The IIPA is a favourite amongst the beer heads and I can see why. At 8.8% and 500mL, it is one that is better shared. It totally blew away my taste buds for the night. It is all I had.

The IPA is solid but third on my list.

Was put on Friday night in the city/Darlinghurst. Finished the night with Fixation IPA from the Unicorn Hotel. Holy sheetballz! Very memorable and may have knocked Feral Hop Hog off my IPA ratings list

I had a 6-pack of James Squire Hop Thief 8 and a 6-pack of Coopers Pale Ale over the weekend of finals footy (AFL).

The Hop Thief was ok, better than No. 7, although I remember No. 6 (Simcoe and Colombus from memory) to be better still.

The Coopers really hit the spot though. I like my hoppy beers to have a good whack of hops and if they don't then I find something beautifully balanced and drinkable with decent mouthfeel like a CPA to be much more enjoyable. It's a great beer.

Edit: to commiserate after the Roos loss on Saturday night, I sampled a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail with a splash of water. So good!

• 1 month later...

Relaxing this evening after a busy day of chores, gardening and housework, I enjoyed 'Unicorn Tears' from Hopdog. Their description is:

Rarer than hen’s teeth' date=' and more obscure than a Mr Bungle album, this is Unicorn Tears. Brewed with a blend of five different malts and an ANZUS treaty of hops, then wild fermented in oak for four months. This wild ale captures all the funk, tartness and character of the past five beers that have also spent time in the same barrels, and then adds its own je ne sais quoi. It’s wild, sour, oaky, fruity, citrusy and intense in aroma and taste. Give it the love it deserves, as nothing is sadder than a crying unicorn.[/quote']

It was a bit tart, a bit oaky, pretty funky, nice and dry and really enjoyable. A great beer!

I picked up a four pack of Gage Roads Little Dove on Friday night.

It is a really nice drop. A bit more bitter and hoppier than a pale ale but not quite as much as current IPAs. Go back 5 years and you would call it an IPA. Bracket creep has set in.

I picked up a four pack of Gage Roads Little Dove on Friday night.

It is a really nice drop. A bit more bitter and hoppier than a pale ale but not quite as much as current IPAs.

"Judged CHAMPION BEER at the 2016 Australian International Beer Awards."

I think I might be trying this! biggrin Good find Hairy! cool

Go back 5 years and you would call it an IPA. Bracket creep has set in.

Yep. I've been noticing this over the last 4-5 years. New world APA's that drink like IPA's & vice-versa. sideways

I think by using the tag "New World" it gives breweries an out against the style guidelines. whistling

Consumer: "Hey mate your Pale Ale tastes a little on the bitter side!"

Brewer: "That's coz it's a 'New World' Pale Ale!" biggrinwink

Ahh..........where would we be today without marketing? tongue

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Moa+Cherry+Sour+2015.png?format=100w

MOA CHERRY SOUR

2014 VINTAGE

Style: Cherry Lambic

ABV: 7%

Bottle Size: 375ml

Serving glass: Tulip

Moa Cherry Sour 2014 Vintage is a barrel fermented and aged cherry sour beer. Brewed with a wheat beer base and whole Marlborough cherries harvested in December 2014, with 12 months in a combination of tank and barrel on both the skins and stones, cherry flavours are very upfront. Farmyard characters are evident from the Brettanomyces yeast and it is tart rather than over acidic. A food friendly beer well matched with Brie or aged Gouda.

Wow. Yum yum. So nice and tart.

Had a few IPA's tonight,

I called into First Choice Liquor and picked up a six pack of Coronado Islander IPA. Another beer from San Diego and it is sensational love

If you liked the Stone IPA then you will enjoy this one too.

Thanks Hairy for the recommendation. A great example of a west coast IPA. Piney bitterness love

http://coronadobrewing.com/beer/islander-ipa/

Lakefront brewing Fixed Gear Red IPA

Caramel, piney flavours,yum

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/beer/year-round/fixed-gear

Parrotdog Bitter bitch

Bitter, malty, tropical aromas. Loved this one.

http://parrotdog.co.nz/beers/bitterbitch/

Cheers,

Dave.

I had a couple of Pact Beer Co. Mt Tennent Pale Ales tonight. I've had this beer a few times before and it is quite nice. The bitterness is about right for this style of beer, with plenty of citrus hop flavour and aroma. I can taste a touch of light crystal malt for some subtle sweetness. I don't pick up much yeast character at all. While it's not complex it is an easy drinking and nicely hopped beer.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 6 pack of Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale tonight, partly because I wanted some glass bottles so I can give away my stuff to friends and partly just to try something new. It claims big dry hop additions and in the vein of APA's, but I was pretty underwhelmed. There is some nice fruity, piney aroma and the mouthfeel was nice and it was a little malty, just nothing really special. I should've spent an extra $3 and got the SNPA. I dont know why, but half way through the glass, I was having a smell and was reminded of seaweed...

Anyway, I had three and then went back to my homebrew!

I haven't had an Atomic Ale for a while but I always found it a little hit and miss. Sometimes it was very nice (never outstanding though) and sometimes it tasted like it wasn't quite right.

I bought a case of Casey's Lounge beer today; I didn't need the beer but wanted to support a local brewery.

http://www.caseysbeer.com.au/

It is a nice, easy drinking beer perfect for summer. Hopefully we get a few more breweries out in Western Sydney.

Perhaps not a Friday night, nor technically a 6-pack, but tonight I'm having a Thursday night tasting session of half a dozen or so beers. Tsssk tssk, school night and all.

On the menu, a range of beers produced by San Diego brewery Ale Smith.

IPA

Nut Brown Ale

Anvil ESB

Grand Cru - Belgian style dark ale @ 10% ABV

Horny Devil - Belgian style golden ale @ 10% ABV

'Lil Devil - Belgian style ale.

20161115_143914.jpg

I treated myself to a sixer of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

What a drink!

Absolutely love it, but at 7.2 %, you have to be careful.

Just one a night after a few home brews does the trick..

Must be the Citra hops that I love so much about this one.

I am yet to brew with Citra but every beer I have had that's had it I have really liked.

Can never seem to get them at my LHBS or online...?

60-odd IBUs in the Torpedo but to me it doesn't taste bitter just full of flavour.

Can't believe I have turned into a hop head in just over a year of homebrewing!

Cheers

James

Perhaps not a Friday night' date=' nor technically a 6-pack, but tonight I'm having a Thursday night tasting session of half a dozen or so beers. Tsssk tssk, school night and all.

On the menu, a range of beers produced by San Diego brewery Ale Smith.

IPA

Nut Brown Ale

Anvil ESB

Grand Cru - Belgian style dark ale @ 10% ABV

Horny Devil - Belgian style golden ale @ 10% ABV

'Lil Devil - Belgian style ale.

[img']https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100554595/20161115_143914.jpg[/img]

Very nice!!!

I treated myself to a sixer of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA...

G'day James,

I'm a fan of this beer, but like you don't find it particularly bitter. I believe it's an all-malt recipe, so I think it's the malt needed to hit 7.2% abv balancing out the hops needed to get 60+ IBUs. The 7.5% 60 IBU Galaxy IPA I am drinking now is in the same ballpark and just tastes nicely balanced and hoppy.

Cheers,

John

Well it's not quite Friday, and I prefer to space tastings of new beers out so I can fully appreciate the brew. Plus I bought these on Wednesday and only got around to posting the pics now!

891FA863-50B6-40B8-BDA9-8565589D67F7.jpg

and

EA850E53-AD5F-4878-AA4E-BDF809DCD0CF.jpg

I samples the Anchor Steam on Thu night to compare it to my Steam Beer. Not my favourite style of beer and I am happy that the Cooper's recipe gets in the ballpark of the real thing! Following the advice on this forum of pitching 2 x packets of Californian Lager yeast definitely helped there.

Tried the Modus Operandi on Fri night. WOAH. Great beer. I loved the pine and citrus combo and will definitely be back for more. May even pay a visit to the brewery one day.

War Hog and the 55 Pale Ale in the fridge to enjoy tomorrow after a big day on the water. Probably will crack the War Hog... and then fall asleep!

I have a confession to make innocent

I had my last game of basketball for the year last night, playing in a tin shed after a day of 38 degree heat. After the game I had a Miller Chill and I liked it surprised

I'm blaming the hot conditions that made it very drinkable.