Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

A very enjoyable Friday Night 6 Pack catch up with DavidB44.

One correction - my IPL was the Galaxy Pale Ale that is the most recent of my beers bottled. 1.5weeks in bottle. I will have to do with beer again with 2017 Galaxy hops as I think it was let down with old hops.

The Belgian quad was phenomenal. One of the most complex beers I have tried in the past few months. I am becoming quite the fan of Belgian beers. Another session soon, and I will bring the actual IPL (NZ Cascade and Amarillo)

On the odd occasion I like to venture out & buy a few beers I haven't tried before. Usually because I've either read or heard good things about them.

Craftbeers.jpg

They were all nice beers in their own way, but the standouts had to be the Epic DIPA 'Hop Zombie' followed closely by Dale's Pale Ale. In that bunch I'd have to put BrewDog's Punk IPA in third with Epic's Pale Ale. All four of which were pretty solid beers ranging from 6.5% - 8.5% ABV.

The Last Rites brew & Stone's 'Go to IPA' were nice beers more session-able at lower ABV's.

The first two were very impressive (IMHO) & I will look deeper into how they are constructed to perhaps brew a clone of them down the track.

Most enjoyable. joyful

Also wanted to give the Old Spot Cellars @ Salisbury Heights a plug as their craft beer selection is definitely the largest on the north side of Adelaide, & arguably now the largest & most diverse in the state. HUGE range & very impressive! cool

Definitely worth your time to check out.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Friday night I was relying on the kindness of family for a few brews, and what was available was Great Northern Lager. I was truly blown away by this beer. I mean I was flabbergasted that a commercial setup could produce a beer so uniquely shithouse. Everything about it was terrible but I drank em all anyway tongue.

Seriously a can of OS Lager and BE1 would've been a lot nicer. Makes you wonder.

Made up for it by having a supplementary Friday last night, Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA - lovely brew for a kit beer, the grapefruit cordial notes won't be to everyone's taste but I felt like the malt and dry hops were strong enough that after a couple it all felt right. Also had a couple of the Challenger Brown IPA (craft ROTM), really nice drop.

• 1 month later...

Well this is the first year that I have been gifted the Beer Advent Calendar. Seems there are a few kicking around, but I got the Beer Cartel case.

The beer for 1 December is one I haven't had before (I hope this theme continues throughout the month). It is an XPA from Black Brewing Co in Margaret River, WA. 6% ABV, 43 IBU according to the label. It's certainly got a lot of hops in it. Dank ones from what I can pick out, not overly citrus. The malt bill has a good chunk of crystal malt in it, possibly some Munich too as it holds a richness to support the hops. Not bitter, which is right as it is supposed to be an XPA, but certainly heavy on the late hops for flavour and aroma. Love the bottle, it's almost black, probably part of their branding.

I'll keep all of the bottles from this advent calendar so I can remember what I had and they look good for bottling some home-brew in 330mL bottles. Great start to the month.

Oh and I was pondering how to fit in my alcohol-free days for each week with an advent calendar. Was planning to double up on some days but my wife told me it's bad luck to miss an advent calendar day; so December is going to be a month of indulgence. I may have to up the exercise to offset drinking every day.

It looks like I have the same calendar. I found the Black Brewery XPA to be quite malty but leaning towards sweet malt. It’s not a bad beer but not overly impressive. It could probably do with a little more bitterness. I have just put tomorrow’s beer in the fridge; I am looking forward to that one wink

An Aldi has opened up near me and I picked up a 12 pack of North of Nowhere pale ale for $17.99. It is made for Aldi and tastes a bit sick

Had a bottle of Mash brewing Copycat IPA last night and was surprised at how good it was.

Not sure why I was surprised, just wasn't expecting to be so good.

Reminiscent of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, good balance of malt and hoppy goodness, bloody nice!

And West Aussie as well!

Cheers

James

An Aldi has opened up near me and I picked up a 12 pack of North of Nowhere pale ale for $17.99. It is made for Aldi and tastes a bit sick

Thanks for taking one for the team Hairy, I have been wondering about that beer after seeing it while grocery shopping. I think I'll give it a miss, given that they sell 12 packs of Coopers pale as well.

Thanks for taking one for the team Hairy' date=' I have been wondering about that beer after seeing it while grocery shopping. I think I'll give it a miss, given that they sell 12 packs of Coopers pale as well.[/quote']

I saw the Coopers there; that would be the smart choice. The Aldi pale ale is sickly sweet, like it is under attenuated. Very unbalanced. Even my wife couldn’t drink it.

I still have 10 left sad

• 1 month later...

Thanks for taking one for the team Hairy' date=' I have been wondering about that beer after seeing it while grocery shopping. I think I'll give it a miss, given that they sell 12 packs of Coopers pale as well.[/quote']

I saw the Coopers there; that would be the smart choice. The Aldi pale ale is sickly sweet, like it is under attenuated. Very unbalanced. Even my wife couldn’t drink it.

I still have 10 left sad

I agree about the Nowhere but I quite liked the Aldi pale ale. But that was before I started home brewing and tasting some other craft beers.

On the other hand beware the Tui East India Pale Ale (4%) Aldi were selling. Tasted like water. Here's its website blurb: "The pillar of Tui, and quite literally the beer the brewery is named after, this drop has been winning gold since its debut at the Palmerston North A&P show in 1904. Sometimes scoffed at for not even being an East India Pale Ale by “modern standards” this light, crisp, and slightly malted beer continues to win the hearts of New Zealanders and visitors alike."

I'd agree about the "not even being and East India Pale Ale"

Anyone tried Butcher’s Bride Session Pale Ale (4.2%)? Aldi is selling it today in six pack.

The blurb: "Australian craft session pale ale brewed with American west coast hops and carapils malt. 4.2% alc/vol."

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-liquor/liquor-detail/ps/p/butchers-bride-session-pale-ale-6-x-330ml-1/

Aldi has the six pack @ $9.99.

Dan's has a case of a Butcher's Pride Pale Ale @ $96 a case. However, it doesn't say 'session' and has an ABV of 4.9%. So I'm thinking the Session is a lower alcohol version. It gets confusing because the Urban Brewing Company website has the ABV @5.1% and no mention of 'Session'.

http://www.urbanbrewco.com.au/beers/

Interesting find there DonPolo. I had given up on buying "craft" beer from Aldi as all were cheap and equally as terrible. I'll buy this six-pack for $9.99 and give it another try.

I haven't heard of Urban brewing company before either. They certainly aren't a microbrewery with the 12,000 hectolitres brewed last year! I couldn't find which large multi-national beverage company oversees their production (but didn't look that hard).

Not expecting miracles, but $9.99 I can bear to part with. Then I'll drink some of my home-brew if and when the Aldi beer is terrible

Interesting find there DonPolo. I had given up on buying "craft" beer from Aldi as all were cheap and equally as terrible. I'll buy this six-pack for $9.99 and give it another try.

I haven't heard of Urban brewing company before either. They certainly aren't a microbrewery with the 12' date='000 hectolitres brewed last year! I couldn't find which large multi-national beverage company oversees their production (but didn't look that hard).

Not expecting miracles, but $9.99 I can bear to part with. Then I'll drink some of my home-brew if and when the Aldi beer is terrible[/quote']

Couldn’t help myself. Bought some and I reckon it’s about 3.5 out of 5. Malty almost toffee quality good bitterness, maybe a little thin because this type of beer usually has a bit more alcohol. Be interested in what real afficianados would say.

Urban brewing, it turns out is owned by the Rockpool Dining Group with Neil Perry as one of the Chief Executives. The group itself is owned by Quandrant Private Equity which owns Car Dealership, Automotive Parts business, a Pet Food company, tourism firms and other stuff.

Still I reckon at $9.99 a six pack when you’d probably pay that for a schooner of ‘craft beer’ at a bar is a bargain.

Bavarian Bier Café and Fratelli Fresh is also a part of the group and you can get the Urban Brewing beers there too.

The Butchers Bride is OK but is a bargain at $9.99 per six pack. One of their other beers is the Devil's Daughter Double IPA at 5.5% ABV and 40 IBUs unsure I don't think Double IPA is the best description.

Bavarian Bier Café and Fratelli Fresh is also a part of the group and you can get the Urban Brewing beers there too.

The Butchers Bride is OK but is a bargain at $9.99 per six pack. One of their other beers is the Devil's Daughter Double IPA at 5.5% ABV and 40 IBUs unsure I don't think Double IPA is the best description.

Yes quite a big group over 30 restaurants/bars I hear.

The Butcher's Bride at Aldi is the 'Session' Pale Ale. So it is 4.2% as opposed to 5.1%. I couldn't find any reference to the session ale in any of the websites/reviews so it must be relatively new and/or a special order for Aldi?

Perhaps it was a stuff up in the brewing process so they packaged the batch and sold it cheaply to Aldi with a new label.

Wow would they do that? Would have to be a very big batch to justify the expense of commissioning completely new artwork and packaging. But is suppose it is entirely possible.

Went to local Fishbone Winery today for lunch.

Had one of their collaboration beers with Rocky Ridge brewery. Had the shipwrecked IPA.

True to style, bold, hoppy and sitting at around 7.6%

It was a bloody fantastic brew.

If anyone is around the marg river area I suggest popping in there for a taste.

Then went and picked up a 6 of colonial brewing co Pale Ale. Great everyday Pale.

Cheers and have a great weekend

Captain

I grabbed a 6 pack of the Aldi Session Pale Ale to try. It has a best before date of 3/1/2019 which would make it a couple of weeks in the bottle, so pretty fresh. It had quite a nice malt character, although is definitely too sweet. The malt character reminds me of an under-bittered Vienna lager. There's a nice touch of large hop aroma and flavour, a bit more of that and a better balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness would make it a nice beer.

To compare, a Coopers Pale Ale was much more satisfying, mostly because of the better balance and touch of cleansing bitterness, albeit at few $ more and half a percent higher abv.

Cheers,

John

Went to local Fishbone Winery today for lunch.

Had one of their collaboration beers with Rocky Ridge brewery. Had the shipwrecked IPA.

I wonder if they are paying Canadian Eh!L royalties? tongue

Shipwreck IPA

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Nice one Lusty.

I’m also glad I didn’t find the couple of dead sailors at the bottom of my glass.

Cheers,

Captain

I grabbed a 6 pack of the Aldi Session Pale Ale to try. It has a best before date of 3/1/2019 which would make it a couple of weeks in the bottle' date=' so pretty fresh. It had quite a nice malt character, although is definitely too sweet. The malt character reminds me of an under-bittered Vienna lager. There's a nice touch of large hop aroma and flavour, a bit more of that and a better balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness would make it a nice beer.

To compare, a Coopers Pale Ale was much more satisfying, mostly because of the better balance and touch of cleansing bitterness, albeit at few $ more and half a percent higher abv.

Cheers,

John[/quote']

On holidays down the coast and went to the local Aldi. If you are talking about the Butchers Bride Session Ale then we I’ll have to taste it again. I wouldn’t have said it was too sweet. Anyway it was sold out so I’ll have to wait until I return home.

I’ll probably end up buying the Cooper’s because there is nothing else except a Peroni Red. Am I right in saying that it is just a commercial Italian beer with a bit more malt?

While bottling my latest batch tonight, i tried a Pirate Life Pale Ale for the first time. Not bad at all, i was a little suprised how dark it was though. It reminded me of my American Amber Ale, probably because they both contain Mosaic hops and crystal malt. I had the Throwback IPA the other week, and i think i liked that better, it didnt seem overly bitter whereas the Pale Ale did

• 2 weeks later...