Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

I've been drinking a bit of the Shlenkerla smoked doppelbock because the bottles are great, it's on special at liquor legends and the beer is fantastic. Drank one on Friday and went back for more Sunday.

Also had one of these Tassie soured spelt ales... I liked it. Also came in a great bottle. My collection is growing.

It's not Friday, but I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm going to use this evening as a Friday Night of sorts. tongue

First pretty cold & wet day here for a while.

Currently enjoying a few "Black & Tan's" Coopers style (Coopers Stout + Coopers Sparkling Ale).

Most enjoyable. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Had a couple of Vale IPAs tonight, which I found to be a bit lacklustre unfortunately. Had a fairly prominent lychee aroma, tasted ok with some decent hop flavour and a touch of caramel malt, but the body was a bit thin and it didn't have great length of flavour at all.

Had a couple of Vale IPAs tonight' date=' which I found to be a bit lacklustre unfortunately. Had a fairly prominent lychee aroma, tasted ok with some decent hop flavour and a touch of caramel malt, but the body was a bit thin and it didn't have great length of flavour at all.[/quote']

I'm guessing they were out the bottle John? unsure

I felt much the same way last time I drank them from the bottle. But fresh from the tap at a decent lively bar, different story. At that sort of bar I will quite happily seek them out & drink them all night long. The "Vale Ale" (Pale Ale) of theirs despite not much talk lately about it, is still a very nice beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day Lusty,

Yes they were out of a bottle, and I don't exactly know how fresh. The BB date was a few months away, but if that was 12 months from bottling then I'm not surprised, any 9 month old American-style IPA is not going to hold up well, and this may not have been stored well.

I haven't seen it on tap unfortunately, but if I do I will definitely grab a pint based on your endorsement!

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Dan Murphys for a bit of a splurge and picked up:

Weihenstephaner - 1516

Moo Brew - Single Hop

Young Henry's - Newtowner

Moon Dog - Holdem' Hay Time

Moon Dog - Slice of Heaven

Morland - Old Golden Hen

Sierra Nevada - Hop Hunter IPA

Sierra Nevada - Otra Vez

Belhaven - Scottish Ale

The 1516 is a cracker of a beer. But the Holdem' Hay Time is awful; sickly sweet. Not a patch on Big Shed's Golden Stout Time love

Stopped by Dan Murphys for a bit of a splurge and picked up:

Weihenstephaner - 1516

Moo Brew - Single Hop

Young Henry's - Newtowner

Moon Dog - Holdem' Hay Time

Moon Dog - Slice of Heaven

Morland - Old Golden Hen

Sierra Nevada - Hop Hunter IPA

Sierra Nevada - Otra Vez

Belhaven - Scottish Ale

The 1516 is a cracker of a beer. But the Holdem' Hay Time is awful; sickly sweet. Not a patch on Big Shed's Golden Stout Time love

I'm interested to see what you think of the Moo Brew Single Hop. I've tried it once but had to drink it straight out of the can, so I might pick up another pack to give it a proper go.

I tried the Moo Brew Single Hop last night (out of a glass) and it was a very well made beer. I was expecting something a bit thin and one dimensional but it is quite malty with a decent body. The hops are pronounced but not over the top and is really balanced. The malt is supposed to be a locally grown product but the hop was Enigma.

It is a great session beer that you could easily drink a few of.

I tried the Moo Brew Single Hop last night (out of a glass) ...

Cheers Hairy, I bought a couple as well. Poured into a glass it looks very pale and extremely clear and like it might not deliver flavour. It's a fairly dry beer, but as you say, there is some nice malt flavour. The Enigma hops do give it a bit of a 'Passiona' edge, but there is sufficient bitterness (as compared to say a S&W Pacific Ale) and other flavours from the hops in there to remind you that you're definitely not drinking Passiona.

Quite tasty, and looking forward to one with lunch. It will be welcome after cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming and mopping the house, doing a couple of loads of washing and cleaning the cats meal quarters and restrooms!

Just picked up some Noisy Minor and Fortitude Brewing beers for a session tonight.

Fortitude Brewing Drifter Endless Summer Ale

Fortitude Brewing Toasted Lager

Fortitude Brewing Pacer 2.8 Light Pale Ale

Noisy Minor ANZUS IPA

Noisy Minor Admiral Ackbar Anti Imperial Red Ale

Has anyone ever had these?

Hope I'm onto some winners!

Cheers

Just picked up some Noisy Minor and Fortitude Brewing beers for a session tonight.

Fortitude Brewing Drifter Endless Summer Ale

Fortitude Brewing Toasted Lager

Fortitude Brewing Pacer 2.8 Light Pale Ale

Noisy Minor ANZUS IPA

Noisy Minor Admiral Ackbar Anti Imperial Red Ale

Has anyone ever had these?

Hope I'm onto some winners!

Cheers

I have tried the Noisy Minor ANZUS and recall it being a decent drop. Nothing too memorable but very drinkable.

Beware of the Admiral Ackbar though, it's a trap!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I was out & about yesterday & grabbed a couple of new beers to try along with another 4pk of the Mismatch XPA.

The two new ones were...

Pirate Life IPA 6.8% ABV

Big Shed Brewing "Californicator" West Coast IPA 7.5% ABV

Pirate Life IPA: Poured in a glass (as usual). Lovely aroma & flavour. Piney, Citrusy & a hint of tropical. Golden in terms of colour, with a good mainly Munich inspired malt flavour, Firm bitterness that lingers. Simcoe, Centennial, Riwaka. Delish!

Big Shed West Coast IPA: I opened the 330ml bottle & had a whiff. Little to no obvious aroma. So I poured it in a glass. Had another whiff, & again very little in the way of aroma. Hmm...I began to think I'd wasted $6.00 on a crappy IPA. How wrong I was at that point. I then had a good swig. OMG!! Massive flavour! Big, dank, massive malt & hop flavour! I couldn't believe it was the same beer! Deeper colour & more crystal influence than the Pirate Life IPA. Columbus, Cascade & Chinook. Impressive, moreish! Interesting front label. whistling

After these two, I was certainly humming, so only had a couple of the Mismatch XPA's which I again enjoyed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have really like the couple of Big Shed beers I have tried, although they were a little unusual. The Golden Stout Time is great.

I also tried the Mismatch XPA at GABS based on your previous comments. Nice drop!

Had a longneck of STONE IPA.

Wow, what a drop. Big, dank, bitter/dry finish.

Pine/Citrus flavour.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, is my yardstick of what to measure IPA's against. I think I've found another number 1.................

Cheers,

Dave.

Had a longneck of STONE IPA.

Wow' date=' what a drop. Big, dank, bitter/dry finish.

Pine/Citrus flavour.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, is my yardstick of what to measure IPA's against. I think I've found another number 1.................

Cheers,

Dave. [/quote']

I love most of the Stone Beers; they make awesome IPAs. I went to their brewery in Escondido (just out of San Diego) and it was one of the best breweries I have been to. It had a massive beer garden that had a little creek running through it with deck chairs scattered around. A great way to drink beer!

I called into First Choice Liquor and picked up a six pack of Coronado Islander IPA. Another beer from San Diego and it is sensational love

If you liked the Stone IPA then you will enjoy this one too.

I also bought a Speakeasy Session IPA and a Lakefront Fixed Gear Red IPA.

The Speakeasy was quite hoppy and bitter but probably needed a bit more body than the 4.5% ABV beer provided. Nice drop though.

The Fixed Gear had a nice malt profile but the hops had all but disappeared. Probably didn't travel well.

I love most of the Stone Beers; they make awesome IPAs. I went to their brewery in Escondido (just out of San Diego) and it was one of the best breweries I have been to. It had a massive beer garden that had a little creek running through it with deck chairs scattered around. A great way to drink beer!

I called into First Choice Liquor and picked up a six pack of Coronado Islander IPA. Another beer from San Diego and it is sensational love

If you liked the Stone IPA then you will enjoy this one too.

That sounds awesome Hairy, very envious.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Coronado Islander IPA. I'll look out for it!

Cheers,

Dave.

I recently picked up a 4 pack of BrewDog Punk IPA cans. Hopped to the eyeballs, not a bad drop but I thought the malt didn't come through enough for me due to the major hop influence.

I also bought some Timothy Taylor's Landlord ale and thought it was an absolutely first class beer. I actually thought that beer couldn't get any better than it but have since been told that the the cask served TTL in Britain is way better than the bottled product we get here. Head and shoulders over the BrewDog Punk IPA in my opinion. But then again 2 different beer styles.

I find the Brew Dog Punk IPA to be a nice beer for having a few; I guess a session beer.

But I agree with you about the Timothy Taylor Landlord; probably my favourite beer. I would to go to the UK and try it fresh.

Only a two pack, Tasmanian Craft Beers.

Iron House - Porter

Last Rites - Dead Man's Revenge Black IPA

The Porter was nice, not spectacular, very similar in Malt make up to the White Rabbit Dark Ale, not the same hop presence.

The Black IPA love, this is a good one. Bitter, nice backbone at 6.5%, and a hop aroma and flavour that I can't pick, listed as classic American hops 0n the label.

I am loving what Tasmanian micro/boutique breweries are delivering.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...

I called into BWS on Saturday to buy a Coopers Stout (it was a nice night for it) and when I got to the counter I was given a can of beer for free w00t

It was a Tun Mid. Possibly the worst beer I have ever had in my life sick

I really don't understand why they had to give them away whistling

I love the Ballast Point Big Eye. Especially when you get a batch that is relatively fresh.

I picked up a few beers on the weekend.

Two Birds Sunset Ale - I prefer this on tap but it is still a nice malty, biscuity ale in the bottle.

Mountain Goat Pale Ale - nothing memorable but you can drink a fair few. Easy to drink.

Plus I picked up a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as they were on sale. The bottles are good for reusing too. When I used to bottle my beers I couldn't be stuffed using stubbies as it doubled my work wink

But now that I keg, bottling a handful of stubbies at the end works out well.