Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

On a Friday night i usually settle back and have a mixed 6 pack of beers that i handpick from Dan the mans, reason i do this is for recipe and ingredient ideas [biggrin] ok and to get half shot before i switch back to my homebrew [roll]

So Far

Stoke Dark by the Mc Cashen family Nelson NZ

notes very smooth dark beer missing the Nelson Suavin i was expecting (maybe their nelson organic hop isnt the sauvin) rated a 3 out of 5

Tui East India Pale Ale also from the land of the long white cloud. Dissapointing beer has none of the characteristics of an IPA lacking in all departments especially "HOPS" 1.5 out of 5

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Cal USA

wow i cracked the lid on this and citrus/pine nose shot straight at me i immediately cried out Citra [love] and buckets of it. This beer is 7.2% and i am going to recommend it highly to the hop heads amongst us. Not everyones cup of tea (or beer) but for for me its a 4 out of 5. Will do a coopers IPA and load it up with Citra in the near future and see if i can get close.

3 more samples to go [bandit]

4 out of 5 for the Torpedo(WTF), you heathen[devil] . If that's not a 5/5 well .....well...well.....i'm lost for words. Can't ferken believe it!......4/5 Jesus I don't know.(I'm now walking away shaking my head)......4/5[crying]

4 out of 5 for the Torpedo(WTF)' date=' you heathen[devil'] . If that's not a 5/5 well .....well...well.....i'm lost for words. Can't ferken believe it!......4/5 Jesus I don't know.(I'm now walking away shaking my head)......4/5[crying]

haha someone loves The Torpedo [biggrin] me too

Points lost for price and i am yet to taste the perfect beer but yeah maybe a 4.5 in hindsite seeing as my next 3 were pretty good as well.

Atomic Pale Ale from Gage Roads in Perth an American Style Pale that is a nice beer. Another one using Citra but it doesnt blast your taste senses like the Atomic, if was to take a guess at the other hops i would probably go with Cenentennial. Light malty flavour which is a little lean for me but a nce beer all the same.

3.25 from me

I think a Coopers Pale Ale Kit with some Citra, Centennial and maybe a Amber Malt Extract would make a nice brew.

Timothy Taylor Landlord Strong Pale Ale from West Yorkshire U.K. I realy like this beer ,very smooth with nice hop aroma and combined with a smooth Malt taste. Their water is from a pristune Knowles spring and it shows in the makeup of the beer. Hops are a blend of Golding and Fuggles

3.9 on this one, i would try a Coopers Pale with a dose of good malt and some Goldoigs and Fuggles and i just might sneak in a shot of Citra (this hop has really got me going)

Theakston Ales Old Peculiar from North Yorshire U.K Brewers since 1827: Dark Ruby in Colour with the slite hoppy taste of Fuggles and a nice Malt texture to the beer. I liked this beer alot 5.6% ABV i wouldnt have picked the Alcohol content if i were to guess it would have been lower so i would have to be careful drinking this one its quite moreish. Avery nice Ale indeed i would go with using a Coopers English Bitter kit and an Amber malt and hopped up with fuggles.

3.7 from me very nice Ale

next was bed [lol]

I too bought a mixed 6 pack to sample, although I had to buy a couple of Euro lagers for my wife so I only get 4 [crying]

I have a Matso's Pearlers Pale Ale and Matso's Smokey Bishop to try tonight. I will let you know how they go.

As for the Torpedo, subtle it aint. Maybe I am just soft but I find it too full-on. Yeah, I'm probably soft.

The Timothy Taylor Landlord on the other hand is a lovely beer. I really enjoy that one, just not the price.

Tony' date=' does Dan Murphy change the price for a mixed 6 pack, or do you just pay the per bottle price?[/quote']

Hi Phil

You can get a 10pack of mixed and they will give to you a 10% discount, buying a mixed 6 is expensive to say the least, but i like to sample different brews for some recipe ideas.

I cracked open the two Matso's beers last night.

The Pealers Pale Ale was a quaffable beer. It was a light bodied pale ale that was more of a session beer. I would call it inoffensive.

The Smokey Bishop is a dark lager and I detected no smokeyness. Perhaps the Bishop was smoking something when he made it. It wasn't too bad, maybe a little thin for a dark beer.

I was looking forward to some bacon too!

Dan Murphys is a horrible choice for stout or porter. They have a grand total of one international porter - Zywiec - which is hardly ever in stock and they don't even stock Southwark. The stout selection is equally poor. 1st choice is about the same. I'd rather have a six pack of Guinness Foreign Export, but then I'd have to pay $50 for it or $150 for a carton (online order). And don't even get me started on the ridiculous prices . . . . which are designed to gouge in Australia.

I can't stand most (if not all) pale ales, Sierra Nevada pale ale tasted like a pine tree mixed with pine o clean and a hint of soap.

Dan Murphys is a horrible choice for stout or porter. They have a grand total of one international porter - Zywiec - which is hardly ever in stock and they don't even stock Southwark. The stout selection is equally poor. 1st choice is about the same. I'd rather have a six pack of Guinness Foreign Export, but then I'd have to pay $50 for it or $150 for a carton (online order). And don't even get me started on the ridiculous prices . . . . which are designed to gouge in Australia.

I can't stand most (if not all) pale ales, Sierra Nevada pale ale tasted like a pine tree mixed with pine o clean and a hint of soap.

I dont which DM you frequesnt but mine has a complete selection of stouts and plenty of Zwyiec and stocked to the hilt with international beer.

I find Pale Ales interesting, not my preferred drop but ido love the hop additopns, I love IPA's and being a hop head from way back i like to work out what the hops being used are. If you thing the Nevada tastes like Pine then stay away from Citra hops you will be 100% dissapointed

Hey Gang,

I have to say that The Torpedo IPA is an amazing drop! I have been thinking of trying to create an extract brew in the same line. The hops in this brew are as follows; Magnum (biittering), Magnum & Crystal (late hops), and Magnum, Crystal& Citra (dry hop). I don't have the Crystal in stock but I might substitute with good ol' Cascade.

As for the Seirra Nevada PA. This is my personal favorite Pale Ale. I have recently created an extract clone that is to be bottled today![cool]

Hey Gang,

I have to say that The Torpedo IPA is an amazing drop! I have been thinking of trying to create an extract brew in the same line. The hops in this brew are as follows; Magnum (biittering), Magnum & Crystal (late hops), and Magnum, Crystal& Citra (dry hop). I don't have the Crystal in stock but I might substitute with good ol' Cascade.

As for the Seirra Nevada PA. This is my personal favorite Pale Ale. I have recently created an extract clone that is to be bottled today![cool]

Thanks for the hop list on the Torpedo Chad, i hunted it down on their site yesterday as well, now all thats left is the quantities the add times and get me one of the torpedo hop adders [lol]

I dont which DM you frequesnt but mine has a complete selection of stouts and plenty of Zwyiec and stocked to the hilt with international beer.

I find Pale Ales interesting, not my preferred drop but ido love the hop additopns, I love IPA's and being a hop head from way back i like to work out what the hops being used are. If you thing the Nevada tastes like Pine then stay away from Citra hops you will be 100% dissapointed

Look up dan murphy's online. Enter stout. 13 results. Nothing international of note. Porter. 2.

Look up dan murphy's online. Enter stout. 13 results. Nothing international of note. Porter. 2.

Dan Murphys online? joke right? i never use it, as its only an idication of what availalbe for internet purchase.

Each store is a franchise, the minimum they must stock for the franchise is whats online. Go into your local store, i am surrounded by 3 and they all stock differently. Dont use what DM's offer online as an idication of what is available in store as its a false indication especially of the surrounding stores where i live, online vs store stock? they are chalk and cheese.

I usually frequent Dan's but this time went to 1st Choice.

I didn't check Muddy's percieved axis of evil beforehand but there was a maniacal laugh coming from the office at the back.

I went to 1st Choice because they were offering 20% off a mixed 6 pack. I would buy from the devil if he (or she) was offering a 20% discount [devil]

1st Choice have that 20% off a mixed 6 pack of international beers as a long term offer. The stock varies a bit but there is always something interesting (they currently have the Brewdog range at my local - proof you can actually use too many hops!)

I don't doubt they are fundamentally evil though.

Dan