Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Just a 4-pack, and a little disappointing. It was the Balmain Brewing sampler pack, comprising of their Summer Ale, Pale Ale, Pilsner and Bock. The Summer Ale was watery and lacked flavour. The Pale Ale as well. The Pilsner was nice and refreshing after an afternoon of housework and gardening. The Bock had a nice malt flavour, but was too toned down to be a real Bock.

The Balmain Pilsner is the only one I (sort of) rate too.

I have a beer advent calendar from Booze Bud so it has been good trying a few different beers. Some I have tired previously (including the Balmain Pilsner) but some I am new to.

Tonight's beer is a Mismatch XPA. I had tried it at GABS and remembered it being a nice beer. It is actually a great beer, really enjoying it.

Not a Friday and not a 6-pack, but definitely worth a mention. I was picking up a case of Dr. Tim's excellent cans today and happened upon a 750ml bottle of Bridge Road Chevalier Biere de Garde tucked away in the back of the cooler. Remembering I really enjoyed this at a tap takeover a year or 2 back, I jumped at the opportunity to grab it as well. Sampling it this evening, it has not disappointed one iota and is an absolutely beautiful beer.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Pirate Life. Yes I a bit slow on the up take and my old mate Lusty was onto this ages ago. I've sampled the Throwback a couple of times on tap at the Custom's House but this week I found out that Cool Wines stocked them so I picked u[ a six pack of the Throwback and the Pale.

The throwback is a winner, even though it comes in a tinnie - mind you the packaging is something I like and can imagine it gives the brewer much more advertising flexibility than the stubby format.

The Pale; I reckon its a tad too bitter, I can smell the Cascade but the flavour is overwhelmed by the bitterness. Perhaps its just me but seems a bit harsh. However I polished off three of them without too much trouble and the after taste is quite enjoyable.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

i keep going back to the same beers for the most part

had a session at the Wheaty on weds night and had a few new beers for me

Left barrel brewing " pay hoppage " Brett IPA - nowhere near as tart as i thought it would be , very enjoyable

WBC - Picnic Assassin Saison very dry finish , very very moreish and easy to session

WBC - " the claw " Black IPA - had to go back for more !

It's a Pirate Life again. Another six pack of the Pale Ale and a six pack of their Golden Ale. The Missus grabbed these for me and initially I was disappointed to see a Golden Ale as JSGA is not one my favourite beers anymore.

That disappointed disappeared with the first mouthful, many times better than the James Squire.

The Pirate Life boys like their beers bitter and I must admit I really enjoy the moreish aspect of these beers.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Grabbed a 6 pack of Dog Days from Dans a couple of days ago and only just got around to having a couple. I must say, the first one had me questioning whether I was up to it, drank it straight from the tinnie and I wasn't sure it was for me. The next was poured into a glass from the freezer and I tell you what, what an improvement it made. The aromas of this beer is amazing. I was quite shocked after tasting it to them see how pale it was too. I'll save the other 4 for tomorrow since it's meant to be another stinker here in Brisbane tomorrow.

I had a 5 Barrells Milk Stout and it was fantastic! Very smooth and just the right amount of sweetness. Actually it's the first milk stout I've ever had and I think I'll be going back for more! I also tried a BrewDog Session IPA 'Dead Pony Club'. Another impressive beer, very hoppy but with a nice malt backbone to support it.

Unfortunately the current 6 pack of SNPA I got must be one of the bland ones that pop up every now and again. The last ones had that 'wow' factor, but these seem to be lacking the same hop aroma and flavour... The best before is July 2017, but I dont know if this is too old or not.

Its a Pirate Life - The Pale Ale the second six pack is as Hairy says an amazing beer - two can sitting on the back veranda and I picked up all the hop aroma and flavour. The Golden Ale is superb, this is without doubt the best Golden Ale I've ever sampled. .

Its enough to make a man give up making his own innocent

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Its enough to make a man give up making his own innocent

That or inspire a man to keep chasing the dragon and brew one on par with Pirate Life PA!

Scottie it is one of my favourite commercial brews as well. So much so that I am going to brew my own Cascade Mosaic ale, based on a recipe that Xenon posted on here.

So my two mixed sixes I got for Christmas are finished. I tried to space them out to 1 per night, and it took a lot of resolve to do so!

Last of the list was Exit Brewing's Saison. I've only ever tried saison at a bring-a-brew night at the local LHBS. It was good then and it was good from the Exit Brewing bottle. Very interesting yeast flavour. Enough to get my interest and to savour the bottle. Not enough to get me to put down a saison. 1 bottle was a good amount; I don't think I want a whole batch of it.

1483907324_57_501.jpg

I picked up a few beers this weekend just gone.

The Founders Redankulous was fantastic love

I was a little disappointed with the Pirate Life IIPA. I really liked their pale ale but this one just didn't do it for me.

I'm trying to get on board with this "Friday Night Six Pack" idea. Started last Friday wit a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale and followed up with a Stone & Wood Green Coast Lager.

I didn't enjoy the Pacific Ale - to much Galaxy (I think from memory) for my "Tooheys New conditioned" taste buds.

I've just downed 5/6 of the six pack I bought at 5:30 (7:30 now). Not something I will buy again. I prefer what I am making now.

A good thing (I thought) was that it was a non-twist top bottle - even though it is only 330ml, however have you ever tried to get the label off?. I soaked the last lot in Sodium Perc. and the label didn't move. had to peel it off myself. Highly resistant label with strong glue. Good marketing ploy, I suppose. Eventually peeled it off.

Too early to go to bed, so back to the home brew!

John

S&W Pacific Ale is one of my favourites. Although I can only have about 4 or 5 before the 'passionfruit' starts getting too much for me.

I put all my bottles in the dishwasher with bottle wash detergent on the hottest cycle possible. The moment its finished I get in a get the labels off before they stick again. Gage Roads, Burleigh Brewing and S&W bottles are all very difficult to get labels off. I am slowly building up my collection of Sierra Nevada bottles though so I will only use them once I have enough. Plus the labels come off them easy as too.

Anyway, my Friday 6 pack consists of

Balter XPA

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

Sierra Nevada Beercamp Tropical IPA

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

Founders All Day Session IPA

Brewcult Get Down American Brown

Not a 6 pack and not Friday either but I had to go grab some new PET bottles from Dans today as I CBF cleaning the ones I have so while I was there I grabbed the Weihenstephan 3 Pack With Glass gift pack as I am yet to have any of these. I will say....... The Hefe is not to my taste. To the point that I am contemplating pouring the remaining half pint down the sink sick

Not overly looking forward to trying the Kristal now.....

Not a 6 pack and not Friday either but I had to go grab some new PET bottles from Dans today as I CBF cleaning the ones I have so while I was there I grabbed the Weihenstephan 3 Pack With Glass gift pack as I am yet to have any of these. I will say....... The Hefe is not to my taste. To the point that I am contemplating pouring the remaining half pint down the sink sick

Not overly looking forward to trying the Kristal now.....

The Pils was top notch so I'm back on board...... for now.

Went to Yarra Glen today for work.

Yarra Glen IGA is great for beer choices!!

https://napoleone.com.au/shop/beer/esb/

A great Aussie made example of an ESB.

Yum love

I like it when breweries give you a heap of information about the beer' date=' it even includes the timing of the hops and the yeast used.

Lusty won't drink it though because it is bittered with Magnum, too boring [img']whistling[/img]

Lusty won't drink it though because it is bittered with Magnum' date=' too boring [img']whistling[/img]

Ha. It ain't boring! Very smooth bitterness, low carbonation. Very more-ish.

http://sixpoint.com/beers/cycliquids/hi-res

F me sideways! Wow. What a drink w00t

Any high octane hop head out there, buy it and drink it!

Cheers,

Dave.

I've been out of action for a few days hiliking in Tasmania.

I stopped at Seven Sheds Brewery on the way out to Cradle Mountain. Willie Simpson wasn't there but the regular brewer was and he was pretty chatty. I picked up a few beers. The regular beers weren't bad but the seasonal ones were pretty good.

They make some beers with the ingredients they grow on site. The Legget IPA was nice and also the Kriek with local cherries. I really liked the smoked scotch ale using peat from Lark Distillery.

I also tried a few Iron House beers whilst down there. I really liked these; nothing earth shattering but very well made beers.

Lusty won't drink it though because it is bittered with Magnum' date=' too boring [img']whistling[/img]

Ha. It ain't boring! Very smooth bitterness, low carbonation. Very more-ish.

http://sixpoint.com/beers/cycliquids/hi-res

F me sideways! Wow. What a drink w00t

Any high octane hop head out there, buy it and drink it!

Imagine how excited Dave will get when he drinks a beer without Magnum in it! tonguelol

biggrin

Aroma: Magnum is a bittering hop with no distinct aroma characteristics.

Magnum is mind-numbingly boring. rightful

Next!

Lusty.