Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Sounds great' date=' I'll have to look out for some. Enjoy your 2015 ESVA by the way ... I too bought a 6 pack and enjoyed a few of them tonight while I watched the 1998 NBA playoffs Eastern Conference finals game 7 and reminisced on what could have been if my Indiana Pacers had managed to overcome Jordan's Chicago Bulls.[/quote']

Or if they had Larry Bird (younger version of course) as a player rather than a coach.

Little Creatures Return of the dread I agree with Hairy though I do think it's better than best extra also Founders All day IPA one of my new favourites lovely malt flavour with enough bitterness and hop flavour / aroma.

Tried Dogfish Head 90 min Imperial IPA, which was voted no.1 in the top 100 IPAs by some website I'd seen, certainly not no.1 to me it was good though just too bitter and tasted every bit the 9% beer it is. Not a lot of hop flavour / aroma just all bitterness and alcohol flavour still trying to uncurl my tongue.

Also went to the Prince of Wales hotel and they had 2013 ESVA on tap so I had to have one and it was delightful lovely and malty a hint of nail polish it'd certainly aged well and then dropped into the Grain Store and had a Bling Bling IPA and a Little Bling both absolutely beautiful though I enjoyed the Little Bling more because I thought the hop and malt flavours presented better.

Cheers

Little Creatures Return of the dread I agree with Hairy though I do think it's better than best extra also Founders All day IPA one of my new favourites lovely malt flavour with enough bitterness and hop flavour / aroma.

I don't think I said that Return of the Dread was better than Coopers Best Extra Stout, I think I said it contributes to Australia's growing list of great stouts.

Although I could have said it. After a few of those 7.2% beers I could have said anything.

And Founders All Day IPA is a nice drop.

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA - crystal clear, nice hop aroma, decent bitterness. Too easy to drink, I could get through quite a few of these.

Little Creatures Return of the Dread Stout - full bodied, smooth, rich and moreish. Really tasty! Looks like I am going to have to up the ABV to 7% on my next Oatmeal Stout attempt to get something like this.

I bought a couple of six packs on State of Origin night (shut your mouth Kelsey tongue) and I am having a few tonight.

I picked up a sixer of Samuel Adams Boston Lager as part of the Dan Murphys $10 deal. It is a nice' date=' creamy lager (Vienna?) with a decent body but it is a little on the sweet side and had to stop at two.

The other was the Founders All Day IPA. I really like this beer. It is more of an extra hoppy pale ale as it lacks the firm bitterness of an IPA but it is easy to knock these down.[/quote']

How did I miss that? Oh well, moment's passed now.. lol

I tried Sam Adams Boston Lager a couple of years ago and had the same thoughts. Little sweet for my tastes.

I did enjoy the Founders All Day IPA though when I tried that one. They have a "breakfast stout" which is really good too.

A 6 er of Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Hoppy Lager.

Yum.

A 6 er of 2015 ESVA' date=' very nice and easy drinking.

Well done Coopers. What are the hops this time?[/quote']

The driving hop variety of the Vintage this year is Melba. Developed by the master hop breeder of Ellerslie Hop Estate, a Coopers Vintage was foremost in his mind when developing this variety. Melba imparts a spectrum of stone-fruit and citrus flavours.

The other hop varieties used this year are Ella and Vic Secret, both of which have been added late into the brew to maximise and accentuate passionfruit, peach, and spicy flavours.

Styrian Goldings and Cascade have been selected for addition after fermentation, to provide additional balance, depth of flavour and to enhance the spicy, floral and fruity undertones.

biggrin

• 1 month later...

G'day all,

Just kicking back with a couple of Red Rye IPA variations.

First was Sierra Nevada's River Ryed Rye IPA which has a lovely bite from the rye though it kind of overpowers the hop bitterness and flavour but still quite nice indeed.

Then was 4 pines new release their West Coast Red Rye IPA, a Keller Door Small Batch, which is freaking bloody amazing!!! It's warm and inviting with enough bitterness and hop flavour / aroma to compete with the spicy bite of the rye and kind of a little sweet.

It's just been released to NSW bottle shops and soon to be unleashed in QLD if you see it, and don't mind an IPA, bloody well grab one and get it in yer belly OK.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with that written about the Return of the Dread - Little Creatures just keep on putting out really fine drops

Whilst in Perth last week I picked up a 4 pack of the Bootleg Brewery Speakeasy IPA. Wow!! Magnificent! In my opinion the best hoppy ale brewed in Australia that I have had the pleasure of drinking. And not a high alcohol beer either

If you get the chance, definitely one to savour

• 4 weeks later...

My Saturday 6 pack ... this week is Canberra Beer Week, so I avoided the big event and went down to the Duxton for the Bridge Road tap takeover and enjoyed some really tasty beers. They also had a Chestnut Pilsner that I was keen to try, but this had sold out already.

1. Little Bling IPA - pretty good and more balanced than I expected. Did a good job of not tasting like 'thin' hop juice for a mid 3% beer with heaps of hops.
  2. Chevalier Saison - very light in colour with nice esters (I got pear fairly strongly). Would be really nice in the middle of summer.
  3. Chevalier Biere De Garde - very smooth and malty with subtle spice flavours.
  4. Fat Man Red Suit Big Sack Red IPA - right on the mark, tons of big, fruity hop character and just the right amount of malt richness for my tastes.
  5. Robust Porter - very, very tasty! Smooth and chocolatey. Almost my favourite of the lot!
  6. (back at home) my home-brewed red lager - I thought this might pale in the company of what I had tasted earlier, but I really enjoyed it in it's own right. I found plenty of smooth, rich, clean malt flavour nicely accentuated by the Centennial hops. My only complaint is that the hop aroma is pretty mild.

My Saturday 6 pack ... this week is Canberra Beer Week' date=' so I avoided the big event and went down to the Duxton for the Bridge Road tap takeover and enjoyed some really tasty beers. They also had a Chestnut Pilsner that I was keen to try, but this had sold out already.[/quote']

The Chestnut Pilsner is pretty good. I have tried it on tap and a bottle and both were tasty. I wouldn't say there was a strong chestnut flavour to it but that is probably a good thing.

• 1 month later...

No it's not Friday night, nor am I drinking a 6 pack of commercial beer, but when you have a very late shift start tomorrow, it may as well be! biggrin

On a rare venture outside the cave, I went & picked up some beer finings to use on a brew I have on the go, & while I was out I thought I might treat myself to a couple of higher end commercial brews.

The first of which I have consumed was the Mismatch Brewing Co. Extra Pale Ale. The reason I picked it up above others on the shelf is that says it uses purely maris otter & a medium crystal for the malt grist. The other reason was/is because it uses one of my favourite hops (Riwaka), & two I would like to use in a brew, they being Rakau & El Dorado.

Really nice depth of malt character & use of the hops on what is a fairly simple recipe base & approach. Enough so that I think I could probably come up with a reasonable clone within a couple of brews if trying to replicate it. It's a lovely beer in the malt & hop spectrum I like for the American version of a Pale Ale so despite it's rather boring/un-inviting label, if you see one on a shelf in you local bottleshop, trust in the fact it will be a nice beer to drink. It also has a nice 'kick' at 5.8%ABV that I also enjoyed.

The other beer I purchased was the 2015 Coopers ESVA. The malt character of this beer is really quite incredible, & I don't care what big American IPA or Belgian big malt commercial beer one might like to compare & throw up against this beer, it really is an exceptional beer to drink.

This time around, the only sore point (that I've not experienced ever before) was a lack of head development & retention that is normally accompanied with this beer year after year. sad My bottle may have been an isolated case though. Apart from that, the beer using the newest hop influences tastes absolutely terrific! love

Why Coopers currently put 4 of their 5 toes into developing & colaborating brewing international beer labels & beers representative of local megaswill trends & not a bigger percentage of said toes into developing ale beers that made them famous in the first place & the envy of other commercial breweries, is very much a mystery to me today. unsuresad

Everything Coopers have done in the past to produce a high standard of ale brew in this country is currently being undermined & treated with some contempt by the other major breweries in this country. I just wish Coopers would either through marketing, or perhaps through brewing a new beer representative of current trends, send a message about what a true Aussie Ale is & should be.

I thought the way Coopers dealt with Canadian Club's attempt at tearing down beer (from a marketing standpoint) a few years back was pretty cool & got the message across. cool

Perhaps it's time they dealt with the other two major beer brewers in this country in the same way before the greater public believes the alternative ale brews (in particular) they are drinking are really representative of what an ale beer is supposed to be. wink

Sorry for the late rant, not sorry for the passion.

Lusty.

The Chestnut Pilsner is pretty good. I have tried it on tap and a bottle and both were tasty. I wouldn't say there was a strong chestnut flavour to it but that is probably a good thing.

BTW Hairy' date=' thanks for your thoughts on that, only just saw this post now. If I see it in the one good bottle shop for craft beer left in Canberra (the other one near my house closed down - I must've not been buying enough) I will grab it to sample.

The other beer I purchased was the 2015 Coopers ESVA. The malt character of this beer is really quite incredible, & I don't care what big American IPA or Belgian big malt commercial beer one might like to compare & throw up against this beer, it really is an exceptional beer to drink.

ESVA is a very unique beer on the Australian landscape, and I for one am really glad Coopers keep making it. It's always good and the 2015 version is fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a Friday night but I am enjoying a few Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs I picked up from a supermarket in Santa Monica. This is a top beer (and very cheap here, in comparison) love

Also had a couple of Pacifcas at the LA Clippers v Thunder basketball game at the staples Centre last night. And had a Bud Light at the LA Kings v San Jose Sharks ice hockey match at the Staples Centre tonight.

Pretty ordinary beers but wanted to brag about the experience.

Not a Friday night but I am enjoying a few Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs I picked up from a supermarket in Santa Monica. This is a top beer (and very cheap here' date=' in comparison) [img']love[/img]

Also had a couple of Pacifcas at the LA Clippers v Thunder basketball game at the staples Centre last night. And had a Bud Light at the LA Kings v San Jose Sharks ice hockey match at the Staples Centre tonight.

You're just being a real bastard now, StonerSloth. Go back to learning your lines for your next video!

Not a Friday night but I am enjoying a few Ballast Point Sculpin IPAs I picked up from a supermarket in Santa Monica. This is a top beer (and very cheap here' date=' in comparison) [img']love[/img]

You're just being a real bastard now, StonerSloth. Go back to learning your lines for your next video!

Sorry, I haven't got time. I have to get ready for drinking ordinary beer at the Christmas night Lakers v Clippers NBA game.

I am also going to a 49ers game but the beer list at Levis Stadium is pretty impressive.

I will check out some breweries in San Fran and San Diego and report back.

Stoner Sloth signing out.

...Also had a couple of Pacifcas at the LA Clippers v Thunder basketball game at the staples Centre last night. And had a Bud Light at the LA Kings v San Jose Sharks ice hockey match at the Staples Centre tonight.

I hope that's not going to be your 'staple' diet of beer while you're over there in the states Hairy? tongue

When the wife & kids go to Disneyland' date=' tell them it's not really your thing & shoot up to the Pacific Northwest for a few days! [img']tongue[/img] biggrin

I hope you're enjoying yourself over there! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

It is still Christmas Eve here so I am sitting back and relaxing with a Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale. About $5 Aus for a 500ml bottle and it is a really nice hoppy strong ale.

Also have some Bear Republic Racer 5 IPAs in the fridge to chase it down.

Merry Christmas all.

Until now I have never wanted anything from Julie Bishop. But now I have to petition her to cut off diplomatic relations with the USA and refuse entry to anyone flying in from there. Don't 'spose I can hope you choke on your chrissie turkey too.

Have a nice day in the ICU, Hairy, and a very messy christmas.

1. I will sneak in via New Zealand (and pick up a few beers on the way).

2. Turkey is for Thanksgiving. We are having chicken and ham.

3. It won't be messy. I have to drive through LA traffic to downtown LA for the basketball so sparkling water will be as fancy as it gets for me.

I went to a place called Stout Burger last night. Awesome burgers and about 20 beers on tap and 50 in bottles. My biggest gripe with a lot of US beers is that they are always high in alcohol. Of the 20 beers on tap, I reckon that 80% of them were over 7.5% ABV. My first was a session IPA at 4.7% but second was a Mosaic DIPA at 9.8% w00t

My biggest gripe with a lot of US beers is that they are always high in alcohol. Of the 20 beers on tap' date=' I reckon that 80% of them were over 7.5% ABV. My first was a session IPA at 4.7% but second was a Mosaic DIPA at 9.8% [img']w00t[/img]

You're helping Ben10 plan the itinerary for his next holiday with every post. tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

My biggest gripe with a lot of US beers is that they are always high in alcohol. Of the 20 beers on tap' date=' I reckon that 80% of them were over 7.5% ABV. My first was a session IPA at 4.7% but second was a Mosaic DIPA at 9.8% [img']w00t[/img]

You're helping Ben10 plan the itinerary for his next holiday with every post. tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

They tend to be big and hoppy beers, so right up Mr 10's alley.

Went to the Cannery Row Brewing Co in Monterey tonight; 73 beers on tap w00t

I had:

Green Flash West Coast IPA

Lagunitas IPA

Dogfish Head India Brown Ale

My wife had a Firestone Pivo Pilsner. All very nice beers.

But my favourite so far has been the Speakeasy Prohibition Ale. A beautiful hoppy amber ale love