Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Hey Lover. I don't know if the recipe's been changed or not (but the comments in that link you posted aren't the kindest I've ever heard crying).

I'm going to stick with my review and maybe that just shows my taste lies in the places B10 wipes. I really do think it is a great beer, and I'll certainly be very happy to buy some more. Interesting info about the CCA link though.

Cheers, Phillo.

Hey P2.

That was over 2 years ago now. No intent to offend. I provided the link rather than re-iterate it here for that reason. innocent

Perhaps give their marketing department a call P2, & ask if they can place a picture of Miranda Kerr on the bottle label. That will guarantee that at least two people are drinking it if you read Hairy's comments in that thread link I provided! biggrin

If you enjoy it P2, then to hell with what your internal organs think I say! tongue

Za tva-jó zda-ró-vye my Russian mail order escapee bride! wink

Lusty.

No probs, Lustful. Absolutely no offence taken, though if Hairypits wants that on the label, he'll have to ring himself. She does nothing for me. i'll be asking for Hugh Jackman love

PS. Since I'll be home Sunday night, I'll have to stop dressing in pink. Time for new avatar I think.

Hi P2.

Unless Arvo lager has gone through a major revamp in the recipe department since its release back in 2012' date=' taste preferences aside, I'm afraid I can't go near the stuff! [img']sick[/img]

I posted an information thread to warn others about it back then.

Arvo Beer (The New Megaswill)

Everyone's tastes are different, & this is just my 2 cents worth to the conversation.

Coincidentally the exact amount of money I would consider a fair trade to part with for a carton of the stuff. Actually NO, I'd rather keep the 2 cents! tongue

Oooooowh, a bit rough putting it on the same mantle with the Artisan Reserve Pilsner! surprised

Lusty.

Is it the Apocalypse already? unsure

I agree with everything that Lusty said above. surprisedsurprised

And still no Miranda Kerr on the label so I am still not buying it tongue

G'day Oh Brown one with the keen eye! wink

Well I've just found my new favourite beer Murray's FRED IPA nice and golden in colour with plenty of hop aroma and flavour and not real bitter would be great to session though at $11.90 each it might get a bit dear!

Why not try to brew it or something close to it? As homebrewers this is what it's all about. Finding a commercial beer or beers we like to drink' date=' then replicating or surpassing it as a brew of our own! [img']cool[/img]

The info contained in the following link & subsequent link plus what you tasted at the glass should help to get you into the same ballpark.

The Crafty Pint: Murray's Fred West Coast IPA

Go after it Brownsworthy!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just a quick heads up if anyone likes Asahi. I dropped into Liquorland today (I think that's the crowd that are usually close to the Coles supermarkets and owned by them), they had the 4 stubbies and 2 glasses pack on special for $10 per pack (the sign said the usual price was $15). The only drawback with the glasses is they are a frosted translucent type rather than the clear glass.

Cheers.

Samuel smith's Imperal stout. 7% abv.

(Not really stout weather, but a client gave me one today! It would be rude not to drink it!)

Beautiful chocolate flavour. Roast barley on the nose. An absolute pleasure to drink. Recommend to any stout drinker.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran out of my Fruit Salad ale and am struggling to drink my original kit lager (one at a time is enough followed up by something nicer), also waiting for my Pacific Ale which was just bottled.

So I caved and bought a carton of LC Pale Ale but got to talking to the bottle shop attendant about the White Rabbit Pale Ale which was in the fridge in six packs only.

He recommended it and swapped a LC six for the White Rabbit.

It is a Pale Ale Belgian Style whatever that means.

Lot's of yeast flavour to the taste and yeast aroma on the nose.

Very little hops that I can detect although the blurb says "a sprinkling of new world aromatic hops"

Can't say I like it although I have always rated the Dark Ale.

Glad I didn't end up with a carton.

Tonight I'm sampling a couple of British IPA's.

Fuller's India Pale Ale

Very malty, real honey aroma and flavour. Bitterness is nicely balanced, but very little aroma hops.

Samuel Smith India Ale

Beautiful, beats the Fuller's hands down. Again very little hop aroma but very nice caramel, malty flavours with perfectly balanced bitterness. I could drink so much of this!

Tried a few over the last few days due to research?/and a couple of good wins on the horses.

Smiling Samoyed IAP and 12 paws APA, nice.

Franziskaner Weissbier, Very nice.

Erdinger Weibbier Lovely.

James Squires Amber Ale, meh ok.

Australian Brewing co, APA very nice and Pilsner wasn't bad as well.

Sorry but the stand out was the local! Southwark stout!!!

love it.

more please.

Burleigh Brewing Dream Date.

Well F.Me sideways.

Oh what a brew. Nailed whatever they were attempting with a friggin nail gun.

So nailed if I was Jesus I'd be scared.

I am sure he is safe. Have you seen The Big Lebowski? Nobody f@#ks with the Jesus devil

I tried this beer a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure what to expect but what I found was unexpected unsure

Surprisingly good!

Hey Dudes

It was Friday Lunch Time at Jack Greene on Salamanca. Had a large beer and a tasting paddle, all off the tap.

Little Creatures Pale Ale - we all know how good this one is.

Panhead Supercharger APA - My impression was Cascade, like a supercharged LCPA. I may be off the mark as it is a NZ beer and the website speaks of Grapefruit and Pine. However rate beer speaks of Centennial, Simcoe and Citra so my unsophisticated palate was close.

Alpha Pale Ale - Damn I was after variety and Cascade type flavours were shining through again but not as dominant as the Panhead or the LCPA. Turns out from the Website its a Fruit Salad Ale.

Ruby Tuesday - Is this a Malty Lager, its certainly not a red ale? It is malt driven with no significant hop aroma or taste. Check the websites and its an Amber Ale hopped with Hallertau.

Pick of the bunch, sorry Australia, Panhead Supercharger American Pale Ale.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad to be home to good beer. Just about every night was Friday night in Singapore with my brother-in-law.

I had plenty of Asahi, Sapporo, Heineken, Carlsberg, Tiger, Kilkenny, Erdinger etc. By far the nicest (widely available) was Erdinger weiss & dunkel and Guinness Foreign Extra. I raided the supermarkets to try random beers with mixed results. Amidst some pretty forgettable beers the ABC extra stout was surprisingly ok, but the Amsterdam Maximator (an Imperial Pilsner style apparently) was absolutely terrible. Craft beer costs a bomb there, but the nicest I tried (Coedo sweet potato red/amber ale) was really very tasty. Anderson Valley oatmeal stout was also very smooth and delicious.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Smith Street Taps hawker stall who are on a mission to bring slightly more affordable craft beer to Singapore. Good to save something for next time ...

Had some nice whiskey though, the Macallan 18 years is fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I was out & about (rare) earlier today & came across a newly established craft brewery brand made locally here in SA.

Pirate Life Brewery

Their 5.4% APA is delicious. It's a darker malted APA with good influence from crystal malts & a good whack of hops & a stiff bitterness. Very nice! cool

Their very unique 3.5%ABV IPA (YES 3.5%ABV!!) is quite incredible for the ABV level it is brewed to. Is it comparable to a 6%ABV+ IPA, no it isn't.

Is it the best representation of the IPA style in a 3.5% beer you will EVER drink, YES IT IS!! coolcool

Right now, on this planet, this is the best 3.5%ABV beer available (IMHO). Awesome! Simply awesome!

Both are cracking beers, but for what they are aiming to achieve with the low ABV IPA, that is one of the most outstanding beers I have drank.

Expect to see beers from this label on your shelves in the near future. These guys know their S#@t!

Very impressive. happy

Lusty.

Lusty, those beers look good and I like beer in cans. That session IPA would be adults only and Rated Argh! tongue

Browny, I like some of the Six String beers but haven't tried that one. Have you been to their brewery? It is a good set up; I will have to go back there again.

Anyway, I thought I would buy a beer today. I don't really drink during the week and missed St Patrick's Day. So I decided to get a longneck of Guiness export stout. I have tried their draught stout many, many times but never this one. I have to say it is very disappointing. A bit watery considering the 6% ABV and a harsh roasty bitterness.

But at least it is an authentic Irish beer brewed in Australia by Lion crying

But not all BUL is wrong. I bought my wife a couple of Carlsbergs which is brewed by Coopers. I think these are better than the imported beer. Very fresh and a pleasant tasting beer.

G'day Hairy,

Haven't been down there yet, they're on the central coast aren't they? They do some lovely beers and will have to head down sometime.

I will be going back to Murray's on the Easter weekend for my birthday though. They have a new Chocolate Easter Bunny beer id like to try and a new session IPA named ED, FRED's younger cousin allegedly, that I'd like to have a few of I think it has citra and cascade hops.

Cheers

G'day Hairy' date='

Haven't been down there yet, they're on the central coast aren't they? They do some lovely beers and will have to head down sometime.

I will be going back to Murray's on the Easter weekend for my birthday though. They have a new Chocolate Easter Bunny beer id like to try and a new session IPA named ED, FRED's younger cousin allegedly, that I'd like to have a few of I think it has citra and cascade hops.

Cheers[/quote']

The Murray's beers sound nice. I notice that Shawn Sherlock isn't there anymore and he is setting up a brew restaurant in Newcastle.

Shawn Sherlock

Yeah, Six String is on the Central Coast, not far from Erina Fair.

I bought a six pack of the new James Squire Hop Thief 7 tonight. It is the new release with Galaxy and Mosaic hops.

It is a nice beer but I don't think it is a good as version no.6.

Last night I had a taste of Hargreaves Hill Phoenix Imperial Red Ale. It is a 9.8% ABV beast of a beer but, Wow! This was a very malty and moderately hoppy beer and one of the best I have had for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to drop off mum's car for a service this morning, so to fill in 3 hours I wandered up to the local shopping centre and walked around for a while. Tried to find some things to do, so I got a haircut, wandered around aimlessly, bought some stuff for She Who Must Be Placated ('cos she took me by surprise on Good (?) Friday by texting me a "happy 29th anniversary" message), and then ran out of ideas.

Then attached to the shopping centre I found a bar called the Pig and Whistle and I was saved. This is what followed:

Speckled Hen: probably my favourite of the lot. It was obviously the first that went through the beer line today, and without fibbing, it took well over 10 minutes to get the glass down to less than 50% head. And the funny thing was even for an English Bitter the beer itself was grossly undercarbonated. But the balance of the beer was just wonderful -- very malt forward yet still quite bitter and lovely flavour. I gotta try to make something close to this.

Stone & Wood Pacific Ale: just slightly disappointed about this one. I've read many reports here about this one that have raved, but maybe because it was from a keg it may have been a little too young. Lots and lots of flavour (maybe too much) and aroma. Don't get me wrong though, I certainly wouldn't refuse another one.

Hop Thief No. 7: I wasn't a huge fan of the #6 with columbus and simcoe (I was definitely in the minority there), but just loved this one. Nice upfront flavour and not as much bitterness as the previous version allows the flavour to really shine through.

Kosciusko (?) Pale Ale: a huge surprise and a really lovely beer. Great balance for a pale ale between malt and hops, moderate bitterness, and great hop flavour and aroma. This would be rated as my second favourite of the bunch after the Speckled Hen, but then again I'm an ESB addict.

By this point I'm having so much of a good time it was tempting to tell the service people to fork off when they rang to say the car was ready.

I had a good mate over on Friday night and we had to pick out three beers each to share, the line up went like this:

Scape Goat Pale Ale (Big Sky Brewing, US) I enjoyed this one, it had great body and a sufficient amount of hops. If it was my first beer of the day I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more but I had a homebrew pale ale beforehand which is bursting with Nelson Sauvin so the Scape Goat was a bit of a come down in the hop department.

Quiet Deeds Session Ale – This beer is made to be chugged. Very low bitterness and body thanks to an all Pilsner malt base and lots of dry hopping with citra, galaxy and one other hop I can’t remember. Does its job as a session ale.

Sour Feijoa Wild Ale (8 Wired, NZ) – This beer was the 2013 version and has been wine barrel aged. It does everything it says on the label, surprises you first with the sweetness of Feijoas followed by a big sour hit and then finishes with funk from the wild yeast. Amazing beer, especially at 9.5%.

Hop Devil IPA (Victory Brewing, US) – Very sticky hop flavour but not much aroma from memory.

Two to the Valley IPA (Newstead Brewing, AUS) – A quality inoffensive IPA from Brisbane which dials in at around 60 IBU. Would like to try again with a clean palate.

The Bollox Double IPA (Bacchus Brewing, AUS) – This is a black DIPA and from memory is a blend of two different IPAs. Huge sweet hop aroma and lots of fruity flavour that finishes with a touch of smoke. Really good beer from Brisbane – 8%.

The mate that I drank with wasn't a big fan of IPA's a few months back but it's safe to say he's warming up to them now ;)