Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

Awesome, and I am sampling the Nomad Brewing Co. Long Trip Saison as I type - lots of interesting ingredients in this one and the end product is delicious!

Man, Saison is a great beer style, wish I had discovered it sooner! And thanks mate, your posts in the last few months definitely helped steer me in the direction.

If Tony was still around I'd ask him to change the title of this post, I think it has transgressed Friday night six packs to include anything Craft on any night.

So in that vein I'd like to tell you about this one - Seven Sheds Elephant Trunk, a strong Belgian Ale.

I'm really not sure I am a fan of things Belgian, even though I have some lineage in that direction, but it tends to pull you in. I'm not sure if it is the Spicy Cherry or the 7% ABV, but after my first I was thinking of tipping the rest. But here I am still going and contemplating the ways of the world.

Not going to brew one in a hurry though, I've got plenty of my Saison to see me through.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

If Tony was still around I'd ask him to change the title of this post' date=' I think it has transgressed Friday night six packs to include anything Craft on any night.[/quote']

Ah yes partly my fault for that! Enjoyed another lovely Black Heart saison courtesy of my wife ... followed up by a Moo Brew Belgo. Tried them out in my new Spiegelau tulip glass, very nice!

Since we have hijacked the thread I will run through some beers I had in the weekend.

I went to Melbourne for the weekend and tested out a few beer bars/restaurants.

Friday was dinner at Beer Deluxe at Federation Square. My wife bought me a tasting paddle but couldn't really remember what was on it. The one she told me was a lager tasted distinctively like an American Pale Ale biggrin

I finished the night off with a Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock. This was a sensational beer, one of the best I have ever had love

I went to Young & Jackson for lunch on Saturday. It was very disappointing. I always thought this was supposed to be one of the best craft brew pubs but half the taps were CUB beers. There were two prices listed for each beer and I asked what each price represented. The response was "small and large" not pots and pints. I had a Y&J Pale Ale which was like an Australian Pale Ale. Nice but not really memorable.

Saturday dinner was at Cookie. Great food and a great selection of beer. I started off with a Bridge Road Chestnut Pilsner; very refreshing. Then a pint of Moon Dog Jukebox Hero IPA; I really enjoyed this beer. I was hoping to finish with a Rodenbach but they had run out so I went with a Boon Kriek instead. I like sour beers/lambics but the Krieks always taste like cherry sherbet to me. Still nice though.

Anyway, Cookie is pretty cool.

Hi Hairy. smile

I finished the night off with a Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock. This was a sensational beer' date=' one of the best I have ever had [img']love[/img]

Forgive my poor understanding of German language, but if I actually knew what that beer was, I could be somewhat impressed with your comments based on what category it falls into. sideways

You're getting slack Hairy. Lately a lot of posts here about sampling commercial brews, less posts to do with your actual home brewing. whistling

Hairy's Intermittent Access Diners Guide To Beer Drinking

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

I still mainly drink home brew but I have cut back on my intake of all beer. So my supplies are lasting much longer.

I haven't brewed for about 3.5 months so I think I need to start giving away more beer.

I got that impression from recipe posts of yours over a period of time.

I hope all is OK health-wise Hairy given recent comments by Philbo about his own situation. unsure

Despite some obvious shyacking at times' date=' always best intentions with my comments. [img']rightful[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I still mainly drink home brew but I have cut back on my intake of all beer. So my supplies are lasting much longer.

I haven't brewed for about 3.5 months so I think I need to start giving away more beer.

I hope all is OK health-wise Hairy given recent comments by Philbo about his own situation. unsure

Despite some obvious shyacking at times' date=' always best intentions with my comments. [img']rightful[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

It's all good mate. I just decided to get fitter. I watched what I ate, cut back on beer (but not give it up) and got more exercise. I lost about 24kg and I haven't felt this trim since I was in high school. Although I am sure I put a couple of kgs back on this weekend in Melbourne biggrin

I will be back into regular brewing next year and will give more beer away to friends and family.

Cheers,

Anthony.

It's all good mate. I just decided to get fitter. I watched what I ate, cut back on beer (but not give it up) and got more exercise. I lost about 24kg and I haven't felt this trim since I was in high school. Although I am sure I put a couple of kgs back on this weekend in Melbourne biggrin

I will be back into regular brewing next year and will give more beer away to friends and family.

Congrats Hairy, that's some achievement. happy

Hats off. cool

P.S. Holy S@#t I just realized I used my 2000th post on you Hairy! devilpoutylol

Anthony.

Awesome' date=' and I am sampling the Nomad Brewing Co. Long Trip Saison as I type - lots of interesting ingredients in this one and the end product is delicious!

Man, Saison is a great beer style, wish I had discovered it sooner! And thanks mate, your posts in the last few months definitely helped steer me in the direction.[/quote']

Heyyy,

Last night I had an 8 Wired "Saison Sauvin", this the first beer I've had with a lot of Nelson Sauvin. I can understand why some people wouldn't like this hop but given that my favourite wine is Sauvignon Blanc it is right up my alley. This brew was wine upfront followed by that saison yeast tang. I really enjoyed it so if you like NS give it a crack.

I may even have to do an extract brew with a heap of NS in the near future.

I also had a Bridge Road Enigma Pilsner last night as part of their Advent Beer Calender (25 days worth of Bridge Road Beers). I'm not the biggest lover of Pilsners however they are growing on me and this one was delicious. Subtle tones of lemon & strawberries for the Enigma hops.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Last night I had an 8 Wired "Saison Sauvin"' date=' this the first beer I've had with a lot of Nelson Sauvin.[/quote']

Cool, I will have to give it a go! I think I've seen it in one of the bottle shops around the place. Haha this is awesome, you guys keep helping me find even more saisons to sample biggrinbiggrin

I may even have to do an extract brew with a heap of NS in the near future

Go for it! I did a pretty simple partial mash NS recipe that's hitting its straps now. Some wheat malt and some pilsener malt but mostly LDM, a California Ale yeast and lots of NS. It turned out great, a really nice fruity summer ale. It's pretty hoppy, so I reckon just straight up LDM + plenty of NS would be very tasty too.

Cheers,

John

I also had a Bridge Road Enigma Pilsner last night as part of their Advent Beer Calender (25 days worth of Bridge Road Beers). I'm not the biggest lover of Pilsners however they are growing on me and this one was delicious. Subtle tones of lemon & strawberries for the Enigma hops.

Cheers + beers' date='

Mark[/quote']

Hey Mark

That sounds like a great calendar I wish I had one.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thanks for your replies Magnaman & John.

Scottie - if you have an Instagram account search #beerdvent and you can check out all the Bridge Road Beers from the advent pack.

So far (among others) I've enjoyed the following:

- Posse Smoked Winter Ale; 9 malts + oats + chestnuts.

- Aurora Australis Quadrupel; collaboration with Nogne O, aged in red wine barrels.

Their first ever Imperial Stout is also coming up in the box as well as their B2 Bomber Mach 4.0 (Belgian Black IIPA).

Cheers + beers,

Mark

It's friday' date=' but only 1,

Sierra Nevada 2014 hoptimum

Yum yum yum...............

Piney, citrus,great mouthfeel. 100 IBU's,10.4% ABV, drinks sooo smooth.

Recommend to any hophead out there. [/quote']

I've got one in the fridge chilling down right now. Excited w00t

Hoptimum was too hoppy for my tastes.

I have been doing a fair few mised 6s with hop hog and Feral's Germsn IPA. Been enjoying them.

lately I have just grabbed a 6 of Hop Thief. The Drive thru at Unley on Clyde has them for $17.

Accordingly, my bottle supply has increased.

• 4 weeks later...

It's only Thursday, and it's not a 6 pack, but I suspect I won't be awake tomorrow. At all. After gathering a new passport and visa for the Eurozone, I popped down to the bottlo after deciding I've never been to Belgium.

Got them home yesterday and they've in the fridge for 24 hours, so this afternoon I intend going on my trip. (The photo from my phone is crap, but I suspect it will be even more out of focus by 6 pm). I've even loaded up the bedside table with industrial quantities of panadeine and water. I know this would be B10s normal breakfast, but I'm not used to 9% and 7% beers.

20150108_130355_zpst6efbk4s.jpg

Wish me luck, and if I don't post anything on Friday (or ever again), you'll know what happened.

Don't say goodbye; so au revoir (Useful tip #51: Too much of a good thing maybe is too much.)

Phil

Edit: This stuff must be high octane. I haven't even opened one of them yet and it turns out that not only is the Erdinger German and not Belgian, but the Chimay is only 7.3%.

...I've even loaded up the bedside table with industrial quantities of panadeine and water. I know this would be B10s normal breakfast' date=' but I'm not used to 9% and 7% beers...

...Wish me luck, and if I don't post anything on Friday (or ever again), you'll know what happened.

Don't say goodbye; so au revoir (Useful tip #51: Too much of a good thing maybe is too much.)

Phil[/quote']

Toughen up Princess! lol (I've been patiently waiting for an opportunity to use that line since you switched your avatar! biggrin)

They should go down a treat P2. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Lusty.