Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

G'day Mark

I'm am compelled to inform you that with your history of drinking beer with IBUs like 65, and ABVs of 8.5 and 9, you will now be required to do a "Scottie" and change your forum identity. You will now be known as B11.

Haha, I don't think I'm quite at that level yet. The strongest beer I've brewed so far is 6.8% and I'm pretty sure Ben classifies that as a session beer.

I grabbed a bottle of Double Trouble over the Xmas break and it was a huge beer, sweet & spicy at the same time - 167 IBU & 9%, it even came with a pair of 3D glasses cool

I really think you should track down one of these Phil:

mikkeller-1000-ibu-2.png

Actually it was Indooroopilly. The lovely blonde Canadian barkeep said it had recently had extensive renovations (so I have no idea what it looked like before) but I was very impressed. And the meals looked really good too. If you haven't been recently, Blotter, it may be worth another visit.

I think there may be a new style in the draft 2014 BJCP Style Guidelines for that one, Brownsworthy. IIRC, it's Category 99(z): Industrial Solvents.

I have been there recently actually, probably about 3 weeks ago. It doesn't really look much different to what it did before the renovations, I think they just sort of spruced up what was already there. I have had meals there before which have been pretty awesome.

Usually I'm driving past in a bus only wishing I could be sitting there having a pint of something. lol

I honestly have no idea why breweries even bother making beers like that. There's no way they could possibly bear any resemblance to being the slightest bit enjoyable to drink. If it really is that high in IBUs the balance well.. what balance? You might as well just go and eat a bag of hop pellets, because that's probably what it tastes like. sick

It is a theoretical IBU figure based on a formula rather than the actual lab tested IBU.

I thought there was a saturation point of iso-alpha acids in a beer. So you may have a formula predicting an IBU of 200 but the actual lab tested IBU may be 100.

Good marketing though wink

I made an IPA that Beersmith calculated to be 100 IBU, honestly can't really pick up a bitterness difference between that and a more run of the mill 65 IBU IPA that I normally make.

It's hoppy as you'd hope. Hoppier than the average IPAs I make.

I thought there was a saturation point of iso-alpha acids in a beer.

Yes I thought it was about 120 or so. Having said that I'm sure if you throw in 10 times the hops you would need to make of a calculated 100IBU beer you would get a more hoppy tasting beer. An IBU is a bit of a fuzzy thing to translate into how a beer is perceived I guess.

I honestly have no idea why breweries even bother making beers like that. There's no way they could possibly bear any resemblance to being the slightest bit enjoyable to drink.

Just a gimmick to get people to buy them I guess. I'm curious as to what it would taste like but I value my tooth enamel too much to try.

I bought 4 beers tonight:

Erdinger Hefeweizen - I have had this plenty of times before and it is a classic wheat beer. Beautiful love

Victory Hop Devil IPA - not a bad IPA but it didn't taste very fresh. I guess the transportation didn't agree with it.

Left Coast Brewing Trestles IPA - this smelt and tasted like flowers. Very florally. Not bad.

Wicked Elf Porter - Wow. Just Wow. One of the best Porters I have tried. This is a smallish brewery out of Port Macquarie and they produce some really nice beers.

I bought 4 beers tonight:

Erdinger Hefeweizen - I have had this plenty of times before and it is a classic wheat beer. Beautiful love

Victory Hop Devil IPA - not a bad IPA but it didn't taste very fresh. I guess the transportation didn't agree with it.

Left Coast Brewing Trestles IPA - this smelt and tasted like flowers. Very florally. Not bad.

Wicked Elf Porter - Wow. Just Wow. One of the best Porters I have tried. This is a smallish brewery out of Port Macquarie and they produce some really nice beers.

Good selection Hairy! I almost grabbed a Hop Devil off the shelf at lunch time today, and have always wanted to try the Wicked Elf Porter. I think you've motivated me to go and get one tomorrow.

I tried a couple of German beers I found in the local independent supermarket.

Fruh Kolsch - very light with some nice fruity notes in the aroma and taste. Refreshing and enjoyable.

DAB Dortmunder Export - Grainy aroma, very sweet, not much bitterness.

Both were absolutely crystal clear. But, to make up for the lack of tasty flavour I just had to open one of my not so crystal clear Saisons ... that hit the spot!

Yep Wicked Elf Porter is pretty kickarse. If you can find the Mornington Porter, it's another beautiful beer.

Last night Archive beer bar had a Stone and Wood night on, where they were showcasing this limited release range of six "beers of the earth". They included Czech Pils, ANZ Pale Ale, American IPA, ... well you can read all about them here lol

Anyway, I tried the Pilsner, IPA, Pale and Porter last night, and I thought they were all quite nice. The pale ale was probably my favourite of the lot though.

Popped down to the local Vintage Cellars to get some beer to last the day, and the young lady wanted me to try a new beer they only got in yesterday. It's a pale lager called Doss Blockos. Interesting presentation too; the 330 ml bottles come in one of those cardboard six packs, but each stubby is also individually enclosed in a brown paper bag. (I've taken some pics but can't post them until next week).

The beer is very flavoursome with hops, but only a light-moderate bitterness. As opposed to most lagers, colour wise it's probably classed as a light copper, but very clear. Very nice and IMHO well worth a try. Don't have my specs at the moment, but it looks as though it's 4.6%, and made by East 9th Brewing Co., St Kilda. Vintage Cellars 6 X 330 ml bottles $20.

Edit added: OtBat, do you reckon that all people in St Kilda drink their beer out of bottles in brown paper bags? Just off to put my asbestos-free flame suit on.

00-DossBlockos.jpg

G'day fellas,

Just kicking back after work and having a couple of Stirling Castle IPAs it's a limited edition collaboration from Australian Beer Co. and Robert Percival whom won the IBO International Young Brewer of the year 2013/14 has a base of pale and amber malts, English hops for bittering then finished with Australian hops and is 6.5%.

Not bad at all plenty of malt sweetness the hop flavour/aroma/bitterness is imho not really at IPA level for me, more like a hoppy pale though I like it, it doesn't go down like a 6.5% beer it's very easy to drink quickly more like a 4.5% beer though I've only had one.

Cheers

...it doesn't go down like a 6.5% beer it's very easy to drink quickly more like a 4.5% beer though I've only had one.

They're the ones I have to be careful about. Smooth' date=' enjoyable, really easy drinking, and then suddenly it's hard to get out of the chair. [img']biggrin[/img]

mmm, just trying to hold off as long as I can before I crack my first Pirate Life Pale Ale that's been sitting in the fridge since yesterday...grabbed em from the old spot cellars and I must say they have quite a nice selection of crafties in there now. They are quite a different taste, I've not had anything similar before and I reckon I will try to clone it sooner or later. If you see them in your local give it a try...definitely one of my faves now love