Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

34 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Nope, hate it.

My first oak beer was the Gunn & Innnis Oak Beer and it tasted like I was chewing on wood. I couldn't drink it.

Now I can do beers with subtle oak flavours but anything pronounced is a bit of a turn off.

Just now, Beerlust said:

Too many sours mate? 

No, just don't like it. Not for me. Had a S & W barrel aged porter that was okay until it warmed up then it was horrid. The oak was overpowering..

@Hairy's Flanders was barrel aged but that was not noticeable for me under the acid.

Like Hairy said you can dial it to a level that suits the individual.

To me it needs to be a background flavour, not dominant. Sorta like using vanilla in beer. If you put too much in it becomes sickly & horrible to drink.

Everyone likes different things & definitely each to their own on this one. 👍

I'll send you up an oaked IPA someday with a subtle hit of oak & see what you think.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to visit a mate in the industry that has recently been promoted to the Manager position of his store, so wanted to show some support & have a chat then spend some money in his store. Spent $65.

I bought two craft beers among what I spent.

https://www.shapeshifterbrewing.com.au/shop/azacca-single-hop-pale-ale

After some good comments by brewers on this forum about the Azacca hop I wanted to taste a single hop beer made with it. The Shapeshifter single hop beer was really lovely to drink. The aroma & flavour attributes are both very good. I'm unsure of how this beer was bittered with the hop so do not know how well it carries as a bittering choice if long boiled. It's a really nice hop & has given me a few ideas about how I might like to use it in my own brews in the future. 😎

https://sierranevada.com/beer/torpedo-extra-ipa/

My revisit of this IPA has just blown me away & re-affirmed some recent comments I've made about earlier thoughts I've posted about this beer. It is absolutely delicious!

For a balanced American styled IPA, I have not tasted a better beer in this space yet. Seriously outstanding & I hope while the brewery continues to operate, they NEVER stop making this beer.

When my current IPA is finished fermenting & is kegged, I'm gonna brew a slight variation of this beer. Bittering addition of Magnum will be subbed for Warrior, late additions of Magnum will be subbed with Bravo.

The potential end result seriously has me drooling. 🤤

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lagunitas-IPA.jpg

I heard a bit about these guys over the years, but have never seen one in any bottle shops here in SA before today. I wasn't going to keep walking when I spotted these.

American hops with an English IPA approach I thought. Really nice. My sorta IPA.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I heard a bit about these guys over the years, but have never seen one in any bottle shops here in SA before today. I wasn't going to keep walking when I spotted these.

American hops with an English IPA approach I thought. Really nice. My sorta IPA.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I haven't tried one here but they are everywhere in the US. It's good to go into a non-craft beer bar and still have that as a choice. Nice drop!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Lagunitas-IPA.jpg

Cheers,

Lusty.

These are in my local BWS now.  Was unsure but now will give them a go in the name of research!
I usually find that US beers that rate well on US websites are a bit disappointing by the time  they get to Oz, due to not being the freshest. 
But do love a good American IPA, will give it a crack .

Cheers

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of limited releases at my “local” at Brendale Brewing. 

The Pils is fairly hoppy but still feels like a Pils. Nice beer.

The stout is smooth, robust, chocolatey, toasty but not burnt. Nitro has gone missing somewhere, think it must have been the big rush of gas when I opened the can, but none the less a really good stout.

Lets see what the rest of the night holds.

956B690A-68DD-44BD-8587-2691BF483044.jpeg

BCC03137-A943-4F7E-A868-1C6FA0184812.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So Sauce Brewing from Marrickville opened a brew pub in Cairns a couple of weeks ago. A mate from Brisvegas was up last week so we checked the place out. They had some nice styles on tap that aren't usual for here - Black IPA, Gose, and the like. Very nice. My favourite Japanese restaurant is upstairs so we adjourned and had something to eat and drank a heap of sake. Back down to Sauce for a few more and then checked out the attached bottle shop. 121 different beers, of which a great deal were stouts! Yum! I had only tried three of the beers they had on offer. Nek minnit, I walked out with the most expensive 6 pack I have ever bought... The cider was for my missus because I was thinking of her when I spent so much, right guys? 😉🤣

20201005_123807.md.jpg

• Haha 1