Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

As mentioned in another thread, it is a really nice day weather-wise here in Adelaide today.

I'm enjoying the day off work, currently cranking a few tunes & enjoying a few beers both home brewed & commercially bought.

I treated myself to a 6 pack of Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale today. At $26.00 a 6 pack it ain't cheap, but worth every penny I reckon.

It's arguably my favourite commercial American style Pale Ale. Just divine to drink IMHO. joyful

For those who enjoy this style of beer, I'd urge you to try the Karl Strauss offering if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed. I see they have a few new beers in their listings since I last visited their website that may require some further investigation on my part.

Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Enjoying a few of these along with some LCPA's (very similar beers), & some home brewed Coopers 86 days Pilsner that I'm trying to leave alone to age further.

A very nice day all round. cool

Lusty.

I treated myself to a 6 pack of Karl Strauss Pintail Pale Ale today. At $26.00 a 6 pack it ain't cheap' date=' but worth every penny I reckon.

It's arguably my favourite commercial American style Pale Ale. Just divine to drink IMHO. [img']joyful[/img]

I can second that biggrin.

I have been slowly knocking off various IPA's at Uncle Dan's and saw six-packs of Pintail Pale Ale for $19.99! What the heck, I'll try those. Of course now that I'm in love with them they have gone back up, but they are an outstanding brew, and that comes after my extended IPA tour of the Uncle Dan selection!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in for a treat tonight!!!

Which was your favourite Paul? Inspired to brew a clone?

Last night my sister's housemate gave me a 6-pack of Carlton Cold that she'd picked up from somewhere. After an afternoon in the sun pruning a tree, I cracked a few, not knowing what to expect since I haven't bought Carlton Cold since about 12 years ago. Well, I got some watery flavours, with a hint of tomato juice and carbonic acid. I don't know what CUB is doing wrong, but even Coopers Birrell tastes better. Seriously!

Not a 6 pack, just a solo today. wink

I was having what most women might consider a "L'oréal" moment. Basically a "because I'm worth it" moment. lol

After swilling a few different home-brewed beers throughout the brew day, I felt I deserved a glass of something a little spesh.

I've done my best not to glutton the special collaboration brew Coopers did with the Lobethal Bierhaus here in SA back in late 2014 since I purchased a couple of cases of the stuff.

BotanicAle.jpg

I placed one of my remaining 3 stubbies in the fridge 2 days ago. Savouring this right now. biggrin The bulk of the hop character has dissipated, but still drinks very smooth & is certainly on the sweeter side. No hint of any alcohol though at the 5.6%ABV.

I must look into doing a brew using the French Triskel hop that was used as an experimental hop in this beer, that I can only believe Coopers wished to test here. ninja

I thought it was a great concept, & one the craft brew drinking fraternity certainly embraced, as stock of this beer disappeared very quickly. I'm not suggesting Coopers should collaborate on experimental brews, but wish they would exercise the commercial imprint of the Thomas Coopers Vintage Ale release as a vehicle to experiment & offer differing new beers of their own creation into the market place on a seasonal basis.

How hard would it be to produce 4 new beer releases each year to coincide with each season?

The remaining two, won't survive this years winter. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

So I lashed out today and bought a Sierra Nevada pale ale while picking up some HB supplies at Uncle Dans.

I just got home and poured it into one of my usual drinking vessels. I usually pass my glass to the missus when I open a beer to see what she thinks of it, so I did just that.

Her reply was "That's nice. Is that your Pale ale kit with the Cascade hops brew?" biggrin

Edit: Now she's trying a variation of Scottie's Styx River Pale

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12184/

Made with Light LME and US-05 @ 6 weeks old and she thinks it tastes better. I think it tastes bloody amazing.

Friday?...no it's Wednesday! Ohh well it's a day off work for me so WGAF! biggrin

I know quite a number of forum members have already sampled the JS Hop Thief V.7, but I hadn't as yet. So on an excursion out earlier today, I couldn't get the LC Pale Ale I was after, & spotted this one on the shelf.

Apart from the somewhat increasingly generic Munich/CaraMunich influenced malt bills I'm running into with mass produced so-called craft-type beers, it's a nice beer, & am enjoying it. happy

I'm almost at the end of my brewday, with my grain based hop boil wort chilling in the sink as I type this, so am looking forward to getting that & the extract based ingredients all in the FV & pitching the yeast so I can sit back & enjoy a few more ales. wink

Good tunes pumping atm, so it's all pretty relaxed. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

so i read back a few pages and couldn't see it mentioned yet...

PIRATE LIFE PALE ALE,

IMHO hands down the best pale i've personally tasted so far, knocked SNPA off the #1 spot on my personal favourites list.

comes in cans only, at 5.4%, even the tin is pretty snazzy with list of hops and malts on the rim.

just be prepared to-do time in long bay prison for armed robbery. over $35 a 6 pack i think.

only one or two places in newcastle stock it and you gota be quick, sells out in a a day or so.

gathering courage to try the 500ml pirate life IIPA next time i'm in the store....looks brutal.

also i was stoked to see dans still with plenty of return of the dead in stock. been grabbing a 4 pack when ever the missus isnt around, building a stockpile for the coming cold months. my fav stout going around atm.

I haven't been buying much beer lately since my production has picked up, but on the weekend I noticed that Dan Murphy's is now stocking Nomad beers (a brewery on the Northern Beaches of Sydney).

I picked up a Sideways Pale Ale and Jet Leg IPA; very nice love

The Sideways is only 4% but doesn't taste like it. A good session beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Pale ales seem to be very popular here!

I picked up a six pack of White Rabbit Dark Ale tonight, which has been my go to six pack for a few months now. I didn't think I liked darker beers much before I tried this - it has definitely been a game changer for me.

I agree with the comments so far on the JS Hop Thief as well - great drop. There is a James Squire bar in Brisbane that has all the JS beers on tap as well as small batch stuff they make there - the Hop Thief is my go to when the small batch stuff isn't taking my fancy.

I had some Newstead beers yesterday; the pale ale, IPA and amber ale. Not bad and very drinkable.

On Saturday I visited Akasha Brewery at Five Dock (Sydney) for their first anniversary shindig. They have some great beers. The anniversary beer they had on tap was called Wooden Leg, a triple IPA.

This was a 10% ABV that didn't drink like a super high ABV beer. Very dangerous (but tasty).

I went to Dan's earlier today to pick up a carton for tomorrow's brew day and the rest of next week as well (I got Budejovicky Budvar which I really enjoy), and while I was there I saw these four packs of Carling Lager. I've heard it referred to as basically the English version of our megaswills but I picked up a four pack anyway. I generally take others' reviews with a grain of salt until I try it for myself. One of my mates doesn't like Hobgoblin... imagine if I'd listened to him? lol

Anyway, I'll pour one soon and report back on whether it's megaswill or somewhat decent.

I also have 5 bottles of Cricketers Arms IPA which were given to me by a friend last weekend. Apparently her housemates bought them a while ago and nobody in the house liked it so they just sat in a cupboard. Might try one later or save it for tomorrow.

Cheers

Kelsey

Six Strings Brewery

Dark Red IPA

Absolutely beautiful beer

As the name suggests it's a dark Red in colour

6.0% and 51 IBU's

Very hoppy in taste and is my fav beer latelylove

Been drinking a fair bit of it over the last 12 months and always impressed.

I was given a mixed six pack today:

Anchor California Lager

Anchor Liberty Ale

Terminal Gravity Pale Ale

Stone Delicious IPA

Brew Dog Jack Hammer Ruthless IPA

Orkney Gold

It should be a good night love

Sounds good Hairy. I am a big fan of the Anchor Liberty Ale, it's a really well-balanced beer.

Last night at a restaurant they had the Anytime IPA from Temple Brewing Company on tap, so I had a few of those. Tastes more like a pale ale with a ton of late hops than an IPA, but really, really tasty!

I bought a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale yesterday to try for the first time. Unfortunately I tried one directly after drinking 2 schooners of my TC Bootmaker which I had dry hopped to the eyeballs.

At first the Sierra Pale tasted very bland and lacked bitterness, impact, aroma and fruitiness. By the time I had got nearly to the bottom of the glass it wasn't tasting too bad at all and I was enjoying it. Tonight I will try a couple on their own without any prior taste bud interference of a Bootmaker.

So far the Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA ranks as my favourite commercial beer followed by the Hobgoblin Ruby Ale.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out on a date with this girl last night; we went to a boutique beer bar and one of the beers we tried on tap was a Rogue double chocolate stout or something. Seriously tasted like a chocolate milkshake and wouldn't even have known it was 9% ABV or whatever it was. Very very smooth flavoured beer. I'd recommend it if you can find it!

I drank some reasonably fresh Hop Hog (bottles) and FM that is a REALLY good drop.

On tap I drank

Hop Tart which is apparently a slightly sour ale and Oh My what an amazing beer.

777 Imperial IPA big and dank and strong.

Zoo Feeder IPA which was a lovely IPA, big fruity flavours and oh so drinkable.

and last was Fresh in Season IPA which was actually a little underwhelming.... apparently a week from keg to tap but I don't know.