Coopers Community

Brewing Equipment

Today is the day I've been looking forward to for months. Today I picked up my fermenting fridge.

IMG_20231103_185736599.thumb.jpg.56689c9cf7830eb9507b80786a1664b9.jpg

It needs a bit of a clean but that won't take long. It's nice to finally have it in it's place in the brewery. First thing I did (well, 2nd, first was take out the shelves, etc) was grab the tape measure and figure out what I could get in there. There's enough space for both the large and small fermenters, plus the handy cool storage space below.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

In my opinion your wasting your time with measurements using credit cards etc. Reason being grains are all different sizes. I have had plump gladfield grain which is almost twice the size of the joe white or barret burston grain. I eyeball the grain. Adjust the gap. Put in 100gm or so then run it through. If I'm not happy I'll readjust. 9 times out of 10 it's perfect just eyeballing.

Thanks  Greeny.I 

4 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Yep if you are happy with the milled grain from the LHBS then just experiment a little with the mill and some grain and try and replicate the milled LBHS grain. If you mill it too fine you risk a stuck mash and sparge, to overcome that problem a handful of rice hulls added to the mash will help.

You are really aiming to crack the malted barley to allow the mash water to get to the inside of the grain, but to retain the husk of the grain fairly intact to act as a filter in the mash and sparge.

Yeah I have been using rice hulls from the start of my AG journey.

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

Today is the day I've been looking forward to for months. Today I picked up my fermenting fridge.

It needs a bit of a clean but that won't take long. It's nice to finally have it in it's place in the brewery. First thing I did (well, 2nd, first was take out the shelves, etc) was grab the tape measure and figure out what I could get in there. There's enough space for both the large and small fermenters, plus the handy cool storage space below.

Looks good, you are on your way to temp controlled brewing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kegory said:

It looks like my westinghouse.. it will also make a perfect kegerator as it will fit 4 kegs nicely 👍🏻

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good AK, they also look expensive. 

Tell me about it. $420 for the mill and another 40 for the board. Needless to say, I have high expectations. The trial run looked good, how it really performs remains to be seen on the next brew day.

• Like 2

Just now, Aussiekraut said:

Tell me about it. $420 for the mill and another 40 for the board. Needless to say, I have high expectations. The trial run looked good, how it really performs remains to be seen on the next brew day.

Wow, that much! It does certainly look good though, I assume it is self-driven - no drill.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Wow, that much! It does certainly look good though, I assume it is self-driven - no drill.

Yes, no drill or anything. Supposedly it can grind 1.7kg/min but that is academic because the hopper only holds 1kg. I guess until I come up with some contraption to make it bigger, it'll be a case of adding to it as it grinds away. Mill settings are easy as. Just a turning wheel with a lock to change to one of 10 pre-set settings. The motor speed can also be set to what works best. I ran a handful of wheat malt through to test because the grains are smaller and seem to fall through the cracks a little easier. It seems to just crack the grain on the widest setting, just as we want it to be. No sign of flour, which is good. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, no drill or anything. Supposedly it can grind 1.7kg/min but that is academic because the hopper only holds 1kg. I guess until I come up with some contraption to make it bigger, it'll be a case of adding to it as it grinds away. Mill settings are easy as. Just a turning wheel with a lock to change to one of 10 pre-set settings. The motor speed can also be set to what works best. I ran a handful of wheat malt through to test because the grains are smaller and seem to fall through the cracks a little easier. It seems to just crack the grain on the widest setting, just as we want it to be. No sign of flour, which is good. 

Well, if it is a Grainfather so it must be good quality, as you may have seen @do not consume (Beachy} sent me one which was very kind of him.

I can't tell what brand it is, but I assume the Kegland plastic board will fit to it. I have never used one, but I recently bought a 21v cordless drill so I will start from there,

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well, if it is a Grainfather so it must be good quality, as you may have seen @do not consume (Beachy} sent me one which was very kind of him.

I can't tell what brand it is, but I assume the Kegland plastic board will fit to it. I have never used one, but I recently bought a 21v cordless drill so I will start from there,

Yeah, I have seen it. It looks a bit like my old one. I have it mounted on one of those white plastic boards from Kegland and that was perfectly fine.

That's one of the things I like about this forum. If somebody has some gear they don't need, they pass it on to others. I've been given things and I have given things. That's what I call a community 🙂 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I have seen it. It looks a bit like my old one. I have it mounted on one of those white plastic boards from Kegland and that was perfectly fine.

That's one of the things I like about this forum. If somebody has some gear they don't need, they pass it on to others. I've been given things and I have given things. That's what I call a community 🙂 

Totally agreed, it is a great place to be, I am coming in for my sixth year & I hope there are many more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

i am looking at getting a geared 3 roller mill from kegking  what peoples thoughts on them  Thanks in advance cheers

25kg bags here we come

my thoughts spend a alot more on a millmaster  they are flute roller and will  crush , but then if i was spending that money i would be purchasing  either the grainfather  electric mill   or   maltzilla  

but  the 3 roller mills will work great  just a bit more fiddly setting them up  to the desired crush for your system    and if you keep the rollers clean   they last  a fair while   ,  i have the 2 roller mill  and works great

• Like 1

5 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

i am looking at getting a geared 3 roller mill from kegking  what peoples thoughts on them  Thanks in advance cheers

25kg bags here we come

I have a Kegking 3 roller mill, and so far it has performed flawlessly. It has a baseboard as standard and is a very good unit.

Of course the Australian made Millmaster is an awesome unit, but it comes with a very hefty price tag. I would recommend that if you have the cash go for the Millmaster, if not the Kegking 3 roller mill will work OK.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 8:01 PM, Kegory said:

I'd been looking around for my next fermenting fridge for quite some time. The current one stopped working so it's basically just been a big esky. Yesterday a friend posted on Facebook she'd had renovations done and her perfectly working fridge no longer fits so she's giving it away. Coincidentally it's also a Westinghouse. Due to it's size and the big freezer I'm going to make it my beer fridge and convert my current beer fridge to fermenting duties.

IMG_20231122_082513.jpg

• Like 6