Coopers Community

Brewing Equipment

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/70ltr-nano-brewery-304ss-brew-kettle-triple-base-pot/

Wow.

I wonder if this unit has a malt pipe etc. And interestingly the blurb mentions induction cooking is okay.

Is there a 2300 watt (10 amp) portable induction cook plate big enough to accommodate this kettle I wonder? It'd be a lot cheaper than running conventional electric set ups or even the LPG gas burner fired brew kettles- at least according to a quick search on the internet.......

https://byo.com/article/induction-brewing/

Yes there are 2300 watt portable induction cookers but they are orders of magnitude more expensive than 2100 watt portable induction cookers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Yes there are 2300 watt portable induction cookers but they are orders of magnitude more expensive than 2100 watt portable induction cookers.

Judging from the article on induction cooking, it claims 1800 watts is sufficient to get a rolling boil on 57 litres of water - if that's true then 2100 watts should suffice. I guess the only question that remains is the kettle too big for a portable induction hot plate? Apparently because the efficiency of induction heating is far superior to gas burners or conventional electric element heating, at least according to the article.

Edited by Tricky Micky

23 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Judging from the article on induction cooking, it claims 1800 watts is sufficient to get a rolling boil on 57 litres of water - if that's true then 2100 watts should suffice. I guess the only question that remains is the kettle too big for a portable induction hot plate? Apparently because the efficiency of induction heating is far superior to gas burners or conventional electric element heating, at least according to the article.

That question is beyond my ability to answer. Oh, I guess I could put some weight on it and see if it can bear it. I'd rather not risk my still relatively new cooker at this stage, though.

You could go to Bunnings, get one out of the box and stand on it. Don't tell them I suggested it.

• Haha 3

I got a phone call from a mate & he said a mate of his was a home brewer & loves Grolsch bottles for his home brew, he came around today & bought 50 from me & I helped him carry them to his car. OK I am thinking why I didn't charge him $2.00 each instead & $1.00 each.

Anyway, he is a good bloke & I have made a new friend, he doesn't mind a beer though. 😬 Now my kegs will be lighter when I check them next. 😂

20230730_124543.thumb.jpg.687021b5136d2d5988b85b26a2e51961.jpg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I got a phone call from a mate & he said a mate of his was a home brewer & loves Grolsch bottles for his home brew, he came around today & bought 50 from me & I helped him carry them to his car. OK I am thinking why I didn't charge him $2.00 each instead & $1.00 each.

Anyway, he is a good bloke & I have made a new friend, he doesn't mind a beer though. 😬 Now my kegs will be lighter when I check them next. 😂

20230730_124543.thumb.jpg.687021b5136d2d5988b85b26a2e51961.jpg

$1 per empty, $2 per full.

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just wanted to get rid of them, I  don't need heaps of bottles anymore. 

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

$2 per full

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bugger that, that's 22.5l of beer (450ml x 50) for $100.00!

I would want at least $5.00 each if they were full, besides, I give away enough beer 😬

I was referring to the beers that your thirsty mate was drinking. $1 per empty bottle, $2 per full glass.

Can I ask all you AG brewing gurus what else I would need to purchase as a basic bit of kit with this kettle - I'm assuming I might be able to get a malt pipe etc for this kettle (not sure though)....just a very basic start up kit. I'm really keen to see if a 2100 watt induction cook plate would get a rolling boil happening - not sure about the size of the kettle and how that might go on an induction plate.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/70ltr-nano-brewery-304ss-brew-kettle-triple-base-pot/

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

Can I ask all you AG brewing gurus what else I would need to purchase as a basic bit of kit with this kettle - I'm assuming I might be able to get a malt pipe etc for this kettle (not sure though)....just a very basic start up kit. I'm really keen to see if a 2100 watt induction cook plate would get a rolling boil happening - not sure about the size of the kettle and how that might go on an induction plate.

You can either get a false bottom or a basket mate, i'd recommend a false bottom as the baskets limit the amount of grain you can use.

400 Micron 304SS Mesh Brew Basket: Suit 70L Vessel - Cheeky Peak Brewery

446mm Grain Stopper False Bottom - Cheeky Peak Brewery

3cb06c5d-bb76-4171-9cb9-73a4ff43bd2d-600x547.png.2de7f9ae2e09e9d18f3d622cded7745b.png1c99e403-1840-42da-8671-04729710c595-600x400.jpg.6743582835278eb2c979c86939f53925.jpg

21 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

You can either get a false bottom or a basket mate, i'd recommend a false bottom as the baskets limit the amount of grain you can use.

400 Micron 304SS Mesh Brew Basket: Suit 70L Vessel - Cheeky Peak Brewery

446mm Grain Stopper False Bottom - Cheeky Peak Brewery

3cb06c5d-bb76-4171-9cb9-73a4ff43bd2d-600x547.png.2de7f9ae2e09e9d18f3d622cded7745b.png1c99e403-1840-42da-8671-04729710c595-600x400.jpg.6743582835278eb2c979c86939f53925.jpg

Thanks heaps Hoppy @Hoppy81. Excellent stuff mate! I could use both the false bottom and the basket right? As I'm basically doing with my 35 liter digi boil set up presently. I'd be hot cubing as well.

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Thanks heaps Hoppy @Hoppy81. Excellent stuff mate! I could use both the false bottom and the basket right? As I'm basically doing with my 35 liter digi boil set up presently. I'd be hot cubing as well.

No need to use both mate. I used a basket a couple of years ago and as said before, it just restricts the amount of grain you can use. My suggestion is just use a false bottom with a bazooka screen underneath that screws into the back of the tap, that is how i have set mine up anyway.

You can actually buy the mash tun package, i have this setup, just in the 170L size. NANO-X 70L Mash Tun - Cheeky Peak Brewery

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just on the subject of gear, I'm getting back into brewing again after nearly six months out, and I've gone through my parts cupboard.

To my delight I've found some nice goodies. O rings for keg posts, lids and gas and beer tubes. Enough to rebuild four kegs.

Stainless steel beer disconnects I meant to use ages ago, four of.

Lots of fresh beer line for kegs. Lots of other little goodies including an all grain recipe for a Cream Ale, ready to crush and go. Its almost like an early Christmas.

Fermenter and Keg fridge getting a good birthday clean, kegs washed out..........and I'm back in the game.

Ive kept my Ink Birds running all this time and they are behaving beautifully. I'm pumped.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just on the subject of gear, I'm getting back into brewing again after nearly six months out, and I've gone through my parts cupboard.

To my delight I've found some nice goodies. O rings for keg posts, lids and gas and beer tubes. Enough to rebuild four kegs.

Stainless steel beer disconnects I meant to use ages ago, four of.

Lots of fresh beer line for kegs. Lots of other little goodies including an all grain recipe for a Cream Ale, ready to crush and go. Its almost like an early Christmas.

Fermenter and Keg fridge getting a good birthday clean, kegs washed out..........and I'm back in the game.

Ive kept my Ink Birds running all this time and they are behaving beautifully. I'm pumped.

Awesome, looking forward to some photos 🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Back on R&R and this turned up this morning, good timing.

‘Helped a mate move house last break so he gave me a small bar fridge as thanks, so going to make another small Kegerator with the parts I ordered.

‘I have 2 x short 9kg kegs that fit nicely in this, so will install 2 taps.

‘Once finished I might give it to my brother to use, no charge, as he always admires my Kegerator & Keezer.

‘Don’t think the lovely bride would want me to have 3 systems,  already have 2 and a total of 6 beer taps, that’s enough.

I will give him the 2 x 9kg kegs also.

They are both full also with a Heineken Clone, so he will be off to a good start. 
‘Going for good brother of the year award. 🤣🤣

Also purchased the Hydrom for myself, so will brew an AG and give it a go, & a new thermometer for my Kamado Joe. 

IMG_4333.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Back on R&R and this turned up this morning, good timing.

‘Helped a mate move house last break so he gave me a small bar fridge as thanks, so going to make another small Kegerator with the parts I ordered.

‘I have 2 x short 9kg kegs that fit nicely in this, so will install 2 taps.

‘Once finished I might give it to my brother to use, no charge, as he always admires my Kegerator & Keezer.

‘Don’t think the lovely bride would want me to have 3 systems,  already have 2 and a total of 6 beer taps, that’s enough.

I will give him the 2 x 9kg kegs also.

They are both full also with a Heineken Clone, so he will be off to a good start. 
‘Going for good brother of the year award. 🤣🤣

Also purchased the Hydrom for myself, so will brew an AG and give it a go, & a new thermometer for my Kamado Joe. 

IMG_4333.jpeg

Good one RD, I haven't seen the Hydrom before, they look interesting.