Coopers Community

Brewing Equipment

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I only collect gear with beer branding on but nothing wrong with other stuff & I ain't got a wife so what goes in, stays in. 🤠

I’ve got a few beer branded shirts from overseas trips, Lowenbrau, Sierra Nevada, Tetleys, Heineken. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good one RD, it's funny, we mention the Rabbit Hole to newbies, but these days it's just a new toy for the cot. 🧰

You hit the nail on the head mate, now looking at a pizza oven on market place 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah got a lot of Maiden gear actually, too much my wife says 🤣🤣

When I was about 14  I bought the Power Slave album, i did dishes, washed cars, mowed lawns to buy it. Around  40 years now. That album begun my love affair with Iron Maiden.

To this day, Fear Of The Dark is still my favourite song ( from another album obviously )

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pale Man said:

When I was about 14  I bought the Power Slave album, i did dishes, washed cars, mowed lawns to buy it. Around  40 years now. That album begun my love affair with Iron Maiden.

To this day, Fear Of The Dark is still my favourite song ( from another album obviously )

@Pale Man Powerslave & Seventh Son are my two favourite albums, I like Book of Souls also. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I had  drink with a neighbour tonight & he found this in his shed, it was his father's,  looks pretty old, it will just go on a shelf in the bar room, too old for modern day brewing.  🤣

20240214_185533.thumb.jpg.275a80f7f10780994feba016ae69ca4e.jpg20240214_185555.thumb.jpg.fc43f55b8be57e4f01b227db4e878ddf.jpg

Olinda Brewing & Winemaking supplies came out Circa middle of 1968 and were around for several years up until the mid 1970's.  I used to use their stuff when I was brewing bootleg beer and wine for my high school parties back when I was a teenager.  See here.

They were doing extract tins before Coopers, and I could buy them at the local hardware store.  Getting my hands on quality malt or malt extract was hard as a kid in those days.  Hops were a bit easier to get but by the time you did get your hands on some they were pretty stuffed as the cones were only stored and sold in brown paper bags back then and I tried to brew using left over / hand me downs from adult brewers who used to palm them off onto me.  Used home breadmaking yeast most times as I did not have the funds or access to good brewing yeast.  Mum's old white sugar tin used to get attacked on brew days.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I had  drink with a neighbour tonight & he found this in his shed, it was his father's,  looks pretty old, it will just go on a shelf in the bar room, too old for modern day brewing.  🤣

Just remembered another recent post.  🤣 

If you did use it, it would only give you an approximate ABV reading. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking about getting a filter for my lagers but I'm not sure if I should bother. Is the extra step and the extra bit of kit that needs cleaning worth the results? Most lagers get pretty clear with the aid of some finings but sometimes, a little bit of haze remains. In ales, I don't care too much about it and if the beer is cloudy, then so be it. But with lagers, I am a little picky. 

Is there any detrimental effect when using a filter? Does it strip more than just yeast and proteins from the beer?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've been thinking about getting a filter for my lagers but I'm not sure if I should bother. Is the extra step and the extra bit of kit that needs cleaning worth the results? Most lagers get pretty clear with the aid of some finings but sometimes, a little bit of haze remains. In ales, I don't care too much about it and if the beer is cloudy, then so be it. But with lagers, I am a little picky. 

Is there any detrimental effect when using a filter? Does it strip more than just yeast and proteins from the beer?

@Aussiekraut , I have a filter and used it a few times but the extra work in sanitising it, purging it and afterwards cleaning and sanitising it again for storage became a PITA.  And if you use it off a pressure fermenter that still has some carbonation left over from the cold crash, then the beer in the filter just foams up, which brings me to my next point.  The losses from a standard non-pressure FV are over two litres unless you force out the remaining beer in the filter with CO2 from your gas bottle.  I made up a jigger to do that but still the extra time overall was not worth it.  

Nowadays I cold crash for at least one week before kegging and then store the kegs cold and under serving pressure for three to four weeks and they are as clear as.   Note too that I do not use any finning's except for Whirlfloc at last five minutes of the boil.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That should keep you going for a while RD, how are you of for socks & undies. 🤣

Hop socks are all good, (socks are good too thanks) 🤣

I can show you my jock drawer if you wish. (It is organised in colours 🤷‍♂️), I like to be organised, what can I say. 🤣🤣

IMG_5016.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No new equipment but I finally set up my WiFi mesh and now I have reliable telemetry from the RAPT pills inside the fermenters, inside the fridge, in the place furthest away from the router, surrounded by metal roller doors and a brick wall. I love it. The change went smoothly because I left the wifi name and password the same. The only device playing silly buggers was of course a Windows computer. What do you expect 😂

• Like 5