Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

A brined chicken roast was in order this weekend so a 1.7 kg fresh chicken went into a tub of brine for 12 hours in the fridge before being rinsed well then patted dry and refrigerated for another 6 hours.  Brine consisted of 4 L water,  200 g of kosher salt, 125 g sugar, 1 large onion finely chopped, heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic, teaspoon of black peppercorns crushed, some thyme, chives and bay leaves.  Bugger, forgot to put in two whole lemons cut in half and juiced but no biggie.   Brined chicken is velvet like tender and juicy when cooked.

A drowned, brined chicken looks disgusting but boy when it is cooked and on the plate you appreciate that little bit of extra work. 

It was cooked in my old charcoal Weber for 1 hour until 75-76 C inside the breast.

Roast Brined Chicken 16April2023.png

Brined Chicken 16April2023.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A brined chicken roast was in order this weekend so a 1.7 kg fresh chicken went into a tub of brine for 12 hours in the fridge before being rinsed well then patted dry and refrigerated for another 6 hours.  Brine consisted of 4 L water,  200 g of kosher salt, 125 g sugar, 1 large onion finely chopped, heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic, teaspoon of black peppercorns crushed, some thyme, chives and bay leaves.  Bugger, forgot to put in two whole lemons cut in half and juiced but no biggie.   Brined chicken is velvet like tender and juicy when cooked.

A drowned, brined chicken looks disgusting but boy when it is cooked and on the plate you appreciate that little bit of extra work. 

It was cooked in my old charcoal Weber for 1 hour until 75-76 C inside the breast.

That is indeed a thing of beauty 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

@Classic Brewing Co, what were you drinking with your schnitzel please?

It is Rose from BWS - Fresh and crisp with strawberry and watermelon fruit flavours. Enjoy this Rose for its flavour and refreshing finish.

Dan Murphy's sell it as well, also available are the Pinot Grigio & a Shiraz, all are very drinkable wines at $10.00 for a 2l Cask.

I keep them all of the time mainly for visitors, but They are pretty good for the price.

671543__16394.jpg

577119-1.png

577115-1 (1).png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It is Rose from BWS - Fresh and crisp with strawberry and watermelon fruit flavours. Enjoy this Rose for its flavour and refreshing finish.

Dan Murphy's sell it as well, also available are the Pinot Grigio & a Shiraz, all are very drinkable wines at $10.00 for a 2l Cask.

I keep them all of the time mainly for visitors, but They are pretty good for the price.

671543__16394.jpg

577119-1.png

577115-1 (1).png

Fancy names @Classic Brewing Co, back in my day it was called Chateau De-Cardboard 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have some nice bottles in various wine racks but sometimes I just drink whatever is left in various casks, the neighbours or guests have never complained about the quality of the wine, apart from those that don't bring any. 😬

Do you make wine at all?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

chips

On an old episode of The Cook and the Chef, Simon made Balti and Chips.... so we followed suit and made a Chicken Balti curry over chips.  Chicken and potato - no problems!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another pizza night with the photo taken before the last smothering layer of mozarella cheese. Very tasty ingredients with gherkins, olives, anchovies, capers, onion,  salami and fetta cheese. Loads of mushroom, but this disappeared under all the other tastes. I added chilli later on my half.

pizz with gherkins.jpg

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 11

26 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Another pizza night with the photo taken before the last smothering layer of mozarella cheese. Very tasty ingredients with gherkins, olives, anchovies, capers, onion,  salami and fetta cheese. Loads of mushroom, but this disappeared under all the other tastes. I added chilli later on my half.

Nice ingredients Jenny, fortunately I love Chili & heaps of Anchovies, apart from taste, I find it also looks more appealing, but then we all have to eat to our taste.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jennyss said:

On an old episode of The Cook and the Chef, Simon made Balti and Chips.... so we followed suit and made a Chicken Balti curry over chips.  Chicken and potato - no problems!

I went to a Chinese Restaurant in the bush once, it really was a General Store/Servo with a small dining room & takeaway attached,

It was right in of Outback NSW & they used to serve fish & chips etc & my Chicken Chop Suey with Special Fried Rice had a side of Chips with a bowl of tomato sauce.

I only ever ate there once! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:13 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Do you make wine at all?

@Red devil 44 I used to make both wine and beer back in my high school days, 1970's.  Made a nice rose petal wine for my mum from the various roses she had in her/our front garden at the time.  Obviously using the wild yeast that they contained, just like @Greenyinthewestofsydney has cultured up lately with his wild yeast beer.

By the time I racked if off a couple of times to reduce the sediment, we only ended up with 1 magnum sized bottle of sparkling "rose petal" wine for a very special occasion.  When we did finally get around to opening it and drinking the results, my mum absolutely loved it and, of course, as time and life dictates to us all, I never ever got to do another one for her.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

On 4/19/2023 at 7:54 AM, jennyss said:

pizz with gherkins.jpg

Good to see the gherkin making its return Jenny. Looks great!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1