Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

17 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Back to basics with a 450g rib fillet and potatoes fried in dripping

image.jpeg.c1f2c86222498319158254eb07f54cfa.jpeg

Looks ace Charlie!  Those spuds look beautiful. Apparently chips in beef dripping are the best. The dripping holds the heat better than any oil. As I filter the oil back into wine bottles it wouldn’t work for me unfortunately though.

I think Boozer has a point though Phil…. I could understand that each time you see raw meat you might associate it with me , but this one hasn’t been cut 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

Looks ace Charlie!  Those spuds look beautiful. Apparently chips in beef dripping are the best. The dripping holds the heat better than any oil. As I filter the oil back into wine bottles it wouldn’t work for me unfortunately though.

I think Boozer has a point though Phil…. I could understand that each time you see raw meat you might associate it with me , but this one hasn’t been cut 🤣

Yeah, I would have just assumed it still had a pulse under the gravy 🤣

The best roast potatoes are those cooked in Duck fat IMO, we have an Aussie Co that produces this product & I use it a lot, it has a nice clean, no fat. no grease taste. I have done chunky almost wedges type chips in the oven with it as well & the are nice & crisp.

https://www.luvaduck.com.au/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I would have just assumed it still had a pulse under the gravy 🤣

The best roast potatoes are those cooked in Duck fat IMO, we have an Aussie Co that produces this product & I use it a lot, it has a nice clean, no fat. no grease taste. I have done chunky almost wedges type chips in the oven with it as well & the are nice & crisp.

https://www.luvaduck.com.au/

I use duck fat (goose is even better apparently but I can’t tell the difference) for roasties too. 
I see you can get confit legs there too. Nice change to chook, but they are rich, so you don’t want them too often.

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

I use duck fat (goose is even better apparently but I can’t tell the difference) for roasties too. 
I see you can get confit legs there too. Nice change to chook, but they are rich, so you don’t want them too often.

Yeah, I forgot to mention Goose fat, it is similar, but I prefer Duck, it is also available in Woolworths & specialty stores here.

I agree about confit, way too rich for me.

941177_1.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:25 AM, Cheap Charlie said:

Back to basics with a 450g rib fillet and potatoes fried in dripping

Poor little neglected brussel sprouts! I would have them first, specially with the butter on them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, Oldbloke said:

Just found this thread.  Slow cooked venison the other day. Using a lamb shank recipee. Was pretty dam good. Sorry no pic. Perhaps next time. Lol

@Oldbloke , my mate used to be (still is to some extent) a deer hunter.  He would sometimes drop in back-straps of venison from time to time and I used to cube it up and put it in a Tupperware tub and drown it in port and fresh crushed garlic.   A few days later would make venison shashlik's out of them with added onion, capsicum, pineapple and mushrooms and BBQ them over charcoal.  As the meat cooked the port oozed out and caramelized on the outside.  Absolutely delish when washed down with a nice full bodied red or two.  😋

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jennyss said:

Poor little neglected brussel sprouts! I would have them first, specially with the butter on them

Have to agree with you @jennyss .  My mum used to serve up boiled cabbage and sometimes Brussels sprouts to us as kids and I hated them.

Now if they are dished on the plate they are the first thing I pounce on.  They have to be steamed just right though to be very good.  Some people dish them up when they have been boiled/steamed far too long and are a bit mushy.  Still to this day cannot come at steamed or boiled cabbage but!

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Balchin Groper bloody beautiful, one of the best eating fish you can get in my opinion!

Can you please give me your GPS co-ords for your fishing spot/mark or what?  That looks absolutely yum, yum yum.

Are they better than Coral Trout?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Hanger steak. Quite a cheap cut but really tasty! 
Yum

Yes, it is a tender cut, I remember it form years ago.

Usually that cut is not always available as I remember years ago my father-in-law was a butcher & he used to call it 'butchers' steak' as mentioned in this article. I would imagine there are a lot of people who don't know what it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanger_steak

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Balchin Groper bloody beautiful, one of the best eating fish you can get in my opinion!

IMG_1355.jpeg

Many years ago before Blue Groper was protected. My uncle who was a pro fisherman gave me some battered groper. It was in big thick slabs, firm white and so bloody delicious. I still think to this day its the tastiest fish Ive ever eaten.

• Like 6

On 5/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, iBooz2 said:

Can you please give me your GPS co-ords for your fishing spot/mark or what?  That looks absolutely yum, yum yum.

Are they better than Coral Trout?

My old man’s the one that has the gps marks! I would say probably about the same depending on your point of view??

It’s up there with the wa Dhu fish but expensive if you want to but it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

A bit cheating with restaurant grub,  a flat iron, a Wagyu and a rib eye. Decent price (£90 for three, only a g-n-t and a glass of  Malbec in terms of booze), and decent tucker

Doh! Forgot the photos

76682f6b-3977-4149-8bf9-9c4b8a975182.jpeg

b9840c60-8a88-4127-a3a8-679fd8c9d35b.jpeg

e12eb606-05d1-4120-b00b-1e43fff1811a.jpeg

407ed2ae-4d1f-40b4-839d-f4d5ca733c03.jpeg

• Like 2