Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

5 hours ago, jennyss said:

I'm meeting a friend for breakfast at 8.30 this morning. After checking 'What's on the menu', I am very hungry. Think I'll have Eggs Benedict with Salmon. 

Good choice! I’m off to Ireland so will be bound to have an “Ulster Fry” or two, but eggs Benedict with salmon sounds healthier 👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Isle of Dough oysters. Out of the sea this afternoon. Outstanding!

They look pretty good Stquinta, I used to love oysters, but I got really crook years ago so I haven't been back for any more.

If I do, I will have to sneak up on them Kilpatrick style & take it from there. It's ironic as the Oyster Bar at the marina is less than a 1km from here.

• Like 1

Forgot to post this as I have been away travelling. 

Made some spicy fruit buns for Easter and baked them in the Weber family Q.  They are exactly the same as hot cross buns just without the cross.  Basically Cinnamon, mixed spice and dried sultana's and sugar added to the dough.

Hot Cross Buns without the cross.jpg

• Like 5

It's been a while since I've made a home-made pizza, and I was just hanging out for a chilli job.  The HSSH was out galivanting so it was my choice for dinner as she would not be home and it was all mine.

Also done in the Weber family Q on a pizza stone.

Pizza14April2023 Chilli just for me.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They look pretty good Stquinta, I used to love oysters, but I got really crook years ago so I haven't been back for any more.

Its really disappointing when people get a bad oyster and get crook, putting them off.

If you get them fresh unopened from the sea that day like I do, the chances of that happening are a million to one. Mother natures finest seafood at its absolute best. Some seafood factories and restaurants have a lot to answer for the way the store and serve oysters. And charge an arm and a leg for something that should be half the price. I'm passionate about South Aus oysters.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Its really disappointing when people get a bad oyster and get crook, putting them off.

If you get them fresh unopened from the sea that day like I do, the chances of that happening are a million to one. Mother natures finest seafood at its absolute best. Some seafood factories and restaurants have a lot to answer for the way the store and serve oysters. And charge an arm and a leg for something that should be half the price. I'm passionate about South Aus oysters.

I was travelling along the far west coast of SA & had lunch in one of the seafront marinas in one of the larger towns with a damsel I had met the night before & she suggested it, we ended up eating about 3-4 dozen assorted oysters & several bottles of wine but I knew it was the oysters that made me crook.

I have been eating oysters for years especially at the Marina Oyster Bar in Glenelg & always been fine, they source them from Coffin Bay.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was travelling along the far west coast of SA & had lunch in one of the seafront marinas in one of the larger towns

Thats my point. Ive only ever eaten oysters from a restaurant once, and that was at Glenelg. They were good, but bloody pricey.

Ive eaten probably thousands of oysters in my lifetime and all have been fresh, unopened and plucked that day. Never been crook once. 

I can still get them for 10 bucks a dozen, and they're not small.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Thats my point. Ive only ever eaten oysters from a restaurant once, and that was at Glenelg. They were good, but bloody pricey.

Ive eaten probably thousands of oysters in my lifetime and all have been fresh, unopened and plucked that day. Never been crook once. 

I can still get them for 10 bucks a dozen, and they're not small.

Fair enough, I have had them fresh out of the sea many times in different places & I agree it can be dodgy ordering them at just any pub/restaurant but given the high turnover of oysters such as the Oster Bar you would like to think you would be pretty safe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Agreed, get to the source if you can. If not make sure they pass the snoz test. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2023 at 3:11 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Pulled pork approx 3 hrs so far in the Weber. Got a new Bluetooth thermometer with 2 probes. 1 for bbq heat and 1 for meat temp. 

Big thank you to @Hilltop hops re the heads up on the Matador wireless BBQ thermometer.   👍 I have been eying off a new model InkBird version with 4 probes (colour coded) for a while now, but they are only available in the USA at the moment.  When I saw this post I investigated further and Matador sell the 2 probe units for $53, and you can buy extra 2 pack probe kit for $18.  Suits me down to the ground.  Was prepared to pay a bit more than $100 for the Inky version when they hit evilbay here but now have the Matador unit so all is good.  Testing it out tonight on a whole chicken that I brined for 12 hours yesterday.  Post pics later hopefully.

I intend on building my own off-set smoker out of two old gas bottles so I can make my own bacon.  Yes, I can do it in the old charcoal Weber but mine is about 100 years old and needs new timber handles etc. but still works.

• Like 4