Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Some K & K action this arvo, keeping the stocks up with Xmas on the horizon.
Stone & Wood Pacific Ale Clone in the FV.

Coopers Pale Ale of sorts in the other FV, might dry hop with Lemon Drop & Galaxy, see how it turns out (just using up some odds & ends )

Pacific Pale Ale 6 days in, dry hopped with 30g Galaxy, probably leave until Wednesday then CC, keg next weekend. 
‘Cheers RD44 🍻🍻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks Paddy @PaddyBrew2 and Norris @Norris! you festive Brewers!  Loved the story about the 2 years without cleaning the FV - but wouldn't you end up filling half the FV with yeast?

Well if the Kräusen and lovely smell is anything to go by I should be in safe territory - but yes Norris - proof of the pudding is in the eating... or here maybe the proof of the Pseudo Lager is in the slurping ; )

And am happy with 3-in-a-row and will harvest the yeast and then give the ol' FV a tub 😝

I guess I have saved some of my precious rainwater not having to wash the big fella out hey  ; )

He would take some out each time as per Norris and never had problems. He did mostly lagers with no dry hopping etc so the trub was just yeast 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

keeping the stocks up

Good to see young Red !!! 

And brewing for Christmas mate - that is very well organised!

The Pacific with the dry hop Galaxy sounds nice mate.... cheers and good brewing!

BB

Been out of action for a few days with the brew fridge being seconded to keeping a large bag of fresh oysters cold. Previous draught brew was bottled on Friday and I'm just doing prep work for another batch of Fresh Draught now. I'll be doing another hop tea in the plunger as per recipe but what difference would there be if I did a 5-10 min boil to the cascade hops?

Got my hands on some of the new Verdant IPA dried yeast from Lalbrew and cranked out a London ESB in the mighty Brewzilla.

Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L):           23.0
Total Grain (kg):         4.550
Total Hops (g):           40.00
Original Gravity (OG):    1.054  (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG):       1.012  (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  5.45 %
Colour (SRM):             11.7   (EBC): 23.0
Bitterness (IBU):         23.5   (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 86
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Base Bairds Pale (87.91%)
0.500 kg Flaked Maize (10.99%)
0.050 kg Chocolate malt dark (1.1%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Fuggles Pellet (4.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with LalBrew Verdant IPA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

but what difference would there be if I did a 5-10 min boil to the cascade hops?

I can't see a lot going on US - just try it and see what happens - might bring out a tiny bit of bitterness which is usually associated with the Long Boil.... result I ssuspect will be more like late additions in IPAs etc I think...

Edited by Bearded Burbler

4 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Been out of action for a few days with the brew fridge being seconded to keeping a large bag of fresh oysters cold. Previous draught brew was bottled on Friday and I'm just doing prep work for another batch of Fresh Draught now. I'll be doing another hop tea in the plunger as per recipe but what difference would there be if I did a 5-10 min boil to the cascade hops?

Agree with @Bearded Burbler. As long as you let the boiled hops steep as long as your hop tea, the boil will get a bit more bitterness by comparison. 

Give it a try.  It is not likely to ruin your brew. 

Maybe split the brew if you can.  Do a hop tea for one half of the brew and a hop boil for the other half.  Best of both worlds and you can taste test the difference.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Ciders should always end up bone dry, unless you kill the yeast before it is done. You'll then have to sweeten them up yourself with either artificial sweetener or something like Monkfruit sweetener. When I make a cider, I usually use Equal powder to get it to where I want it. It's usually quite well received. 

When I make cider, I usually get an MJ pouch though. I stay well clear of the Brigalow & Co stuff. 

Another trick with cider is to sweeten it up in the glass with a splash of Bickfords Cloudy Apple cordial, really hits the spot. Couple of ice cubes, mint leaves, a cocktail umbrella, red plastic swizzle stick shaped like a seahorse and preferably all served in a hollowed out pineapple. 🍸

• Like 1

Nothing yet but soon I'll be harvesting yeast from a 1056 starter and putting the flask in the fridge to pitch into a pale ale tomorrow. This is the one I brewed a little while ago with the rest of my home grown flowers. Saturday or Sunday I'll be doing a brew day, another pilsner. I need to get another sack of ale malt too. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 3:19 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Some K & K action this arvo, keeping the stocks up with Xmas on the horizon.
Stone & Wood Pacific Ale Clone in the FV.

Coopers Pale Ale of sorts in the other FV, might dry hop with Lemon Drop & Galaxy, see how it turns out (just using up some odds & ends )

Pacific Pale Ale 6 days in, dry hopped with 30g Galaxy, probably leave until Wednesday then CC, keg next weekend. 
‘Cheers RD44 🍻🍻

Hi Red devil.

What S&W Pacific Ale clone did you use? I used the Wild Wood one from Kegland the other day and it turned out pretty close from a blind taste test.. I would be willing to try out others.

Cheers

On 10/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Ciders should always end up bone dry, unless you kill the yeast before it is done. You'll then have to sweeten them up yourself with either artificial sweetener or something like Monkfruit sweetener. When I make a cider, I usually use Equal powder to get it to where I want it. It's usually quite well received. 

When I make cider, I usually get an MJ pouch though. I stay well clear of the Brigalow & Co stuff. 

@Aussiekraut Just an observation. If you are killing off the yeast when the natural sugars have all fermented then there is no reason to add an artificial sweetener.  You are far better using normal sugar as it will not ferment out and the flavour will be far better.  You can also bottle ferment for a couple of weeks at a low temperature and then chill to stop the fermentation going any further Not always easy with temps in  Aus unless you have a very large fridge) but the secondary fermentation adds a really good flavour profile.  Of course if you force carbonate then it becomes a lot easier.

In terms of concentrate packs I have found most to be rather sweet and insipid and lacking in basic cider flavours as most of them use desert fruit and not cider fruit which is markedly different. Some desert fruits can make a good cider as a single variety such as Spartan or Cox's Orange Pippin but most good ciders are a blend of bitter-sweet, bitter-sharp and sharp and sweet varieties which are generally bespoke cider varieties. 

I'm going to give the MJ pouch a go as it is apple concentrate from the UK so hopefully they have used proper cider fruit and it might have some flavour; have to wait and see!

28 minutes ago, JA5983 said:

@Aussiekraut Just an observation. If you are killing off the yeast when the natural sugars have all fermented then there is no reason to add an artificial sweetener.  You are far better using normal sugar as it will not ferment out and the flavour will be far better.  You can also bottle ferment for a couple of weeks at a low temperature and then chill to stop the fermentation going any further Not always easy with temps in  Aus unless you have a very large fridge) but the secondary fermentation adds a really good flavour profile.  Of course if you force carbonate then it becomes a lot easier.

In terms of concentrate packs I have found most to be rather sweet and insipid and lacking in basic cider flavours as most of them use desert fruit and not cider fruit which is markedly different. Some desert fruits can make a good cider as a single variety such as Spartan or Cox's Orange Pippin but most good ciders are a blend of bitter-sweet, bitter-sharp and sharp and sweet varieties which are generally bespoke cider varieties. 

I'm going to give the MJ pouch a go as it is apple concentrate from the UK so hopefully they have used proper cider fruit and it might have some flavour; have to wait and see!

Yes, if you kill the yeast, you can use normal sugar. However you won't be able to bottle ferment without viable yeast. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, if you kill the yeast, you can use normal sugar. However you won't be able to bottle ferment without viable yeast. 

Very true. Most of the time I think force carbonation with cider and ginger beer is the way forward. No artificial sweeteners or exploding bottles!

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, Titans19 said:

Hi Red devil.

What S&W Pacific Ale clone did you use? I used the Wild Wood one from Kegland the other day and it turned out pretty close from a blind taste test.. I would be willing to try out others.

Cheers

I’ve done the Wild Wood a few times, not bad.

The one I have just put down is a Morgan’s Pack 

‘The one I normally do is 

Black Rock  or Coopers Pale Ale Tin

1kg Liquid Wheat Malt

100g Galaxy Dry Hop ( after day 5 )

US-05 0r Morgan’s Premium Ale Yeast 

In the fermenting fridge @ 19 degrees, Cold Crash day 9, keg on day 13 or 14.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pseudo Lager has cleared up nicely in the Coopers FV after cold crash.... fair bit of brew-scath on the walls from a)IPA b)Summer Ale and c)Ps Lager... might be time for a wash ; )

Seems a little dark for a brew predominantly of Bo Pils - but I guess it will lighten up in the glass... 

Also a fine load of yeast on the bottom you can see.... so will keg-on-up, harvest some and clean up for the next brew:

image.thumb.png.b312a62fe3a2658ddbe06281d6cc3b95.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

My aus lager seems to be finishing off at 1.006. it’s been at 20deg, up from 16.5 for the past two days. Another 2 days at 20 then if she’s stable, down to 1.5 and then filtered to buggerry 😂

changed this recipe up slightly, instead of just POR at 60 and 30, I snuck in a EKG addition at 10. I also upped the salts in the boil rather than the sparge water. Wasn’t much more but it seems to have really sharpened the mouthfeel and lifted what I assume is the 10min EKG. 

4B3D5399-F26D-46CE-80ED-9DA25CA7CEA3.jpeg

• Like 3

I've been absent from the forums for a few months but have been busy brewing (up to batch #8 of post covid AGs - most have been good). I Thought I better poke my head up and see what everyone is up to brewing wise.

Anyway my partner has her 40th next month and I've been busy getting kegs filled to serve for the party:

-My first Cider in about 5 years went out of the fermenter into Keg. Pretty lazy stuff 14L aldi AJ, 6L Apple Pear from Coles, 2L of the pressafruit pinklady, 500g dry wheat malt extract gave that one to SO4 which seemed to do a good job.

-I did another AG NEIPA on saturday was not fun on the brewing balcony in the rain. This one was using voyager veloria, winter wheat and oats. Really struggling with the efficiency on the NEIPAs recently  and thought a dunk sparge might help. Didn't really help just made more work TBH (I actually think my efficiency sufffered). I think I need to get my mill working and stop using the LHBS's one to get a better crush. Anyway I cheated and used some dextrose and LDME to get the OG where I wanted it. Using hideous amounts Citra, Galaxy, and mosaic  -150g in the hopstand and 75g in two dry hop round. Managed to get a hold of Lallemand Verdant which should be interesting. 

-Yesterday on a whim (wanted a smaller beer for the party) I threw together a Pacific Ale with what I had on hand(basically the Voyage Pacific Ale minus the crystal).  I'm using Nectaron (hort 4337) hops -  25 g at 15 minutes and 25g at flame out (which I did a short hop stand on). I gave this one to Lallemand New England (was going to try US05 but said stuff it) which has been my go to yeast recently.

• Like 2

Thought i'd try the Canadian Blonde can with some bits and pieces left over from other brews, dry hopped tonight with 16g amarillo and 36g cascade. Used the can yeast and a leftover coopers aussie pale ale yeast on it. should be right to bottle on saturday morning.

IMG_6190.thumb.jpg.93605f48100c8bfcd1ced5c110cdbf36.jpg

830694196_eyPA1.thumb.jpg.d0e3a26ce771446b3812081d35d15f7c.jpg

• Like 2

Checked the SG on my pale ale yesterday, not gonna bother with the planned second one tomorrow because if it wasn't done then it will be now. I threw in a dry hop of leftover falconers flight along with some Cascade. I didn't weigh it but it's probably around 50-60g all up. Just under half filled a large tea strainer ball, I would have used my usual two but the lid for the other one has gone walkabouts. Soon I'll buy another one probably just from a kitchen shop, can't be arsed waiting for postage and the quality there is probably better anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1