Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 9/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, James Lao said:

CSM IPA Partial No4 

Same as last time 1.5kg Maris Otter, 0.5kg Munich malt, 0.22kg Caramunich II, Coopers lager , LDME, wheat and white sugar 

OG 1.060

IBU 55

Used US-05 for this one

Got a brewhouse efficiency of 71.76%, which is a tiny improvement on last time which was 71.35%, so happy with that.

Cheers legends

James

Partial mashing is the shit. You get the best of both worlds. If you want to move into all grain you have that feel. If you dont, then you still make amazing beer. 

Us Partial Mashers are a dying breed. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha mate once you lost @Beerlust Lusty... the Partial Champion... then you guys were always gunna be in trouble ; )

I'll get into all grain BB as soon as i sort my kegging out. You'll be the first port of call for advice. It will happen. Please standby 🙂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Us Partial Mashers are a dying breed

I'm not planning on going anywhere soon - partials suit me well, particularly with the sous vide for temp control, and my Inkbird one is even wifi enabled - I don't even have to go to the kitchen to adjust the temps. 😄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

You never know for sure unless you try

For now, I will risk it. I can now do decent sized partials and I'm making some (I consider) rather good beers. I don't know anyone close who does home brew so I guess I will never know how much better AG might be over kit & Partials (K&K&P ? 😄 

Part is the extra time, equipment and recipe complexity, but also the ongoing issues I see from highly experienced AG'ers who have efficiency issues and problems we don't see in K&K or K&K&P brews. 

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

but also the ongoing issues I see from highly experienced AG'ers who have efficiency issues and problems we don't see in K&K or K&K&P brews. 

okay. I don't have any issues with efficiency or any other problems... well, with the brewing that is.

• Haha 4

On 9/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, Pale Man said:

Us Partial Mashers are a dying breed. 

Nah, I am not dying. 

Put this on today:

ESB

1.7kg Coopers Blonde
1.5kg light LME
150gm Crystal wheat 3.4%
75gm C75L 1.7%
75gm C120L 1.7%
100gm Aromatic 2.2%
100gm Special Roast 2.2%
750gm Maris Otter 16.9%
15gm Cascades x 10 minute boil
30gm Williamette x 20 minute hop stand
10mL Clarity Ferm
23L 50:50 RO: tap water
WLP095 slurry
10gm Cascades DH x 4 days 
20gm Willamette DH x 4 days

OG 1.053; FG 1.012; ABV 5.39%; ECB 20; IBU33; BU:GU 0.70.

My sloppy slurry is 3-1/2 months old. Did not make a starter. Curious to see how long it takes to start fermenting. I have found WLP095 to be very vigorous, so I think it will be fine.

• Like 6

I don't think I've read here of anyone having made this cider before, so I'm giving it a go. I think it's fairly new to Australia through Kegland but I'm not certain of that.

I'm aiming for a dry cider so I've just mixed the tin with 1kg table sugar in 23 litres of water with the supplied yeast and fermenting at 20C. 

I'll report back later how it turns out.

Screenshot_2020-09-20-13-16-09-75.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Bearded Burbler I thought you might have added an ACDC link as well. 🙂 

Ha ha Muzzy old buddy I was wondering whether someone might grab that hook ha ha!

Been a while since a dark brew so it was definitely time.  Everything of recent has been blaaaaardy beautiful golden amber irrelevant of what brew it was ha ha?!  

So I had to make a change!

Might go light-light next time as I have some Bo-Pils left... bit of wheat...  and leave out any Munich Veloria or Crystal they all seem to start to make things more golden amber ; )

• Haha 1

Partial No5 Simcoe Citra Mosaic IPA

Usual malt bill of 1.5kg Maris Otter, 0.5kg Munich malt, 0.25kg Caramalt, Coopers Lager can, 0.5kgLDME and 0.25kg wheat DME and 0.3kg sugar.

9 litres post boil,  76% efficiency this time, my best yet!

Mash out and   more patient sparge this time accounting for the improvement on efficiency  I think.

SG 1.060, IBUs 1.055

1.5L starter of US-05 chugging away nicely after a few hours.

Cheers

James

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Usual malt bill of 1.5kg Maris Otter, 0.5kg Munich malt, 0.25kg Caramalt, Coopers Lager can, 0.5kgLDME and 0.25kg wheat DME and 0.3kg sugar.

Mash out and   more patient sparge this time accounting for the improvement on efficiency  I think.

SG 1.060, IBUs 1.055

Cheers

James

That sounds the sh*t 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, James Lao said:

SG 1.060, IBUs 1.055

Cheers

James

Do you mind sharing your hop schedule. I'm wanting to give that a crack.

No worries mate!

Citra and Simcoe 25g each, 10mins.

Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic 25g each, 5 mins.

Dry hop 25g each of the above.

Think this last batch had 30g of Cascade in the dry hop as well cos I wanted to use it up but it has turned out awesome.

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dry yeast sprinkle experiment (usually make starters and or use harvested slurry) on this dark ale/Altbier seems to be doing just fine... even with OG around 1060 and concerns around osmotic shock etc... was slightly slower to crank than using a starter -- to be expected I guess -- but the US05 dry sprinkle team seems to have cranked up just fine - and the aromas from the Brew Fridge are just delectable?!   Will be wonderful to have some beer back in a keg ha ha!

image.thumb.png.aede5a90b6407a585d509f5171045045.png

• Like 4

21 hours ago, James Lao said:

No worries mate!

Citra and Simcoe 25g each, 10mins.

Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic 25g each, 5 mins.

Dry hop 25g each of the above.

Think this last batch had 30g of Cascade in the dry hop as well cos I wanted to use it up but it has turned out awesome.

Cheers

James

Cheers fella much appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

chocolate Oatmeal stout brewed today. Mini mash.

Coopers Stout tin

500g Marris Otter 

100g Shepherd delight

500g LDME

100g cocoa powder

100g lactose

50g Bramling cross hops 

MJ Liberty Bell M15 yeast pitched 16C

OG on low side 1036. 

Just a follow up on this;

balanced easy drinking mid strength stout, initial good head that dissipates ( I guess from the low grade cocoa powder I used with too high fat content). Strange foam/scum on top of bottles that I have to sieve when pouring, but I can live with that. 
Bramling Cross seems to give some additional earthiness to the brew 

• Like 2

made my blonde ale today and got the OG i was hoping for.

i used a cold steep overnight in the fridge of my 250g of cracked light crystal and the colour and smell were both pretty good. one less thing to muck about on brewday, depending on how this batch turns out i might cold steep more often.

IMG_6050.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stickers said:

depending on how this batch turns out i might cold steep more often.

have you compared a hot steep with a cold steep?

Am thinking that from first principles re solubility of complex long chain carbohydrates with higher temp you should extract more fermentables and non-fermentables but have no experience self to back this up...