Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 12/21/2020 at 11:56 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

have you tried using Coopers Liquid Malt can instead of dry kilo stuff ?  Coopers Light Liquid Malt prolly for what you want...  and I suggest adding it to whatever your recipe is (as well as rather than instead of dry stuff

Couldnt afford the usual 5kg of dry malt so got a can of liquid malt. Put that together with the draught can, 300g of dry malt and the hops. Unfortunately, I got kicked out of the spa so this batch did the 2nd fermentation in the shed at ambient temps resulting with my first soft bottles. Great tasting beer just the issue of not enough fizz

Received 12 new Headmaster glasses for Xmas which got a quick rinse and into the fridge. Poured a bottle tonight and the difference was startling. The brew is visibly effervescent with a nice head which stayed till the last drop. This is the same beer mentioned in the OP.

Obviously further research required.......burp😛

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Haha 1

Inspired by @ChristinaS1 Christina and did my first partial mash today:

1.7 kg coopers Australian pale ale can

700g briess pale ale grain 

300g Simpson’s light christal grain

250 g LDME

250 g wheat DME

250g Dextrose

5 g Fuggles 10 min boil

38g Hallertau mittlefruh Flameout

2x can yeast sachets rehydrated 

it looked a little darker than I was aiming for but sample tasted really nice. Pitched yeast at 21 degrees C. 4 hours later was bubbling through the airlock.
I used an insulated drinks cooler to mash the grains. At the end of the hour it was 63 degrees (strike water was 74 degrees @ 3 litres). OG 1.042 for 23 litres. 
I would never have got this far down the track without all the help from the great dudes on this forum, so thanks everyone. Cheers Tone Boy

E38C6753-3D87-4B89-8939-748269579783.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
Not sure why my photo is sideways 😂
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Congradulations @Tone boy!

Nice mash tun! Insulated cooler rock!

Good luck with the brew. Interesting recipe. Sort of an English Bitter with German lager hops and a yeast that can swing either way. Neat.

Cheers,

Christina.

Thanks Christina. I was using up a few odds and ends hence the yeast sachets from the cans and the odd hop scenario!! I’m hoping that hop combo will come out ok, but sort of learning as I stumble along. 
I’ll let you all know if it’s any good in a couple of months time.  Cheers 

• Like 3

1st brew in Fermzilla, Stone & Wood Clone, all buttoned up, no leaks. Only thing I will change is to put a better pressure gauge on the spunding valve assembly, not convinced it is accurate as it shows a different ( 5 PSI ) reading to my Harris Gauges, I have factored in the pressure difference for this brew until I can get a Harris/Wiki Pressure Gauge to swap it with.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

1st brew in Fermzilla, Stone & Wood Clone, all buttoned up, no leaks. Only thing I will change is to put a better pressure gauge on the spunding valve assembly, not convinced it is accurate as it shows a different ( 5 PSI ) reading to my Harris Gauges, I have factored in the pressure difference for this brew until I can get a Harris/Wiki Pressure Gauge to swap it with.

I have two of the Kegland gauges one 0-15 psi and the other 0-40 psi so will check both mine out as compared to my Harris as well.  Good tip, never gave it a thought to check them.  If my gear is electrical or electronic always check and calibrate but never considered my brewing pressure gauges.

I do like the S&W pacific ale and brewed many batches of the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale and in fact, never without a keg of it.  Now that I have a good all grain kit, am very keen to make one of these as a AG recipe to compare and maybe make it my most common batch in the AG future.

@Red devil 44 What was your recipe if you don't mind sharing?

Also I think @Aussiekraut does an AG version of this so be interested to see his recipe as well.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have two of the Kegland gauges one 0-15 psi and the other 0-40 psi so will check both mine out as compared to my Harris as well.  Good tip, never gave it a thought to check them.  If my gear is electrical or electronic always check and calibrate but never considered my brewing pressure gauges.

I do like the S&W pacific ale and brewed many batches of the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale and in fact, never without a keg of it.  Now that I have a good all grain kit, am very keen to make one of these as a AG recipe to compare and maybe make it my most common batch in the AG future.

@Red devil 44 What was your recipe if you don't mind sharing?

Also I think @Aussiekraut does an AG version of this so be interested to see his recipe as well.

Cheers - AL

Was just a K & K extract pack mate below, but comes out close to the real thing IMO.

I always double check my gauges against the Harris one, some gauges have an adjusting screw to recalibrate, others you have to pull the back off and adjust the bourdon tube inside.

2FE4FB85-88C1-4D56-9A61-1017FF16BC03.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would this be close?

https://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/category/beer-spirit-liqueur-recipes/beer-recipes/lager-beer-recipes/

Stone & Wood Pacific ale:

This recipe is our take on the ever-popular Stone & Wood Pacific Pale Ale. This Pale Ale has minimal bittering with a big hit from the late addition of the Galaxy Hops for aroma and flavour. This recipe is in the style of the Stone & Wood Pacific Ale and might not be an exact clone, but if you like the commercial offering then you will be sure to love this brew. This recipe is another great introduction to experimenting with hops, wet malts and steeping grains for the beginner or intermediate brewer who wants to take their tin kit brewing to the next level.

Please note: Aussie Brewmakers have updated our Recipe Kits where possible to include Australian made products with Australian sourced ingredients. Aussie Brewmakers supports using Australian over imported products when they are available and are of equivalent quality.

Ingredients:

• 1.5kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract
  • 1.5kg Morgan’s Master Malts Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
  • 250g Light Dried Malt Extract (LDME)
  • 200g Dextrose
  • 150g Cracked Carapils Grain (Steeped)
  • 25g Galaxy Pelleted Hops (Loose – Steeped)
  • 30g Galaxy Pelleted Hops (2 x Teabags – Dry Hopped 48 hours)
  • 10g M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast OR Safale US-05 (depending on availability)

Other Ingredients:

• 200g of Dextrose if kegging with no secondary fermentation (not supplied)

Method:

1.    Clean / sterilize all equipment including fermenter, paddle, jug and saucepan (used for steeping)

2.    Sit the two Malt Extract Tins in hot water for 15 minutes

3.    Boil 1.0L of water in a saucepan on the stove. Once boiled turn heat off

4.    Steep 150g Cracked Carapils Grain, 25g loose Galaxy Pelleted Hops in the saucepan for 20 minutes

5.    Boil 2.0L of water in the kettle

6.    Add 1.5L of boiled water to the fermenter

7.    Add the contents of the two Malt Extract Tins and the 250g Dried Light Malt Extract (LDME) and 200g Dextrose to fermenter and stir to thoroughly dissolve

8.    Pour 250ml of boiled water into each of the Malt Extract Tins and stir to dissolve remaining contents, then add to fermenter

9.    Strain the steeped Carapils Grain, and 25g Galaxy Hops into the fermenter (do not add grain or hops to fermenter) and rinse with 500mls cold water

10. Add cold water to fermenter to 22.5 ltrs and test temperature – make sure it is between 18-23 degrees before pitching yeast

11. Take the initial hydrometer reading

12. Pitch 10g M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast or Safale US-05 and stir gently

13. After primary fermentation activity has ceased (check with a hydrometer) add the 2 x 30g Galaxy Hops Teabags to the fermenter and gently stir in with sterilized paddle (dry hop). Leave these hops in the fermenter for 48 hours

14. After 48 hours bottle as per normal. If you cannot bottle after 48 hours, remove the 2 x 30g Galaxy Hops Teabags and bottle within 3 days. Bottle conditioning of 4 weeks is recommended for the full flavour to develop

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairy said:
13 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thanks Hairy my LHBS doesn't have Carapils at the minute, is there a substitute I could use?

Get the lightest crystal malt you can get, like Caramalt.

Otherwise just run without it.

Legend, thanks heaps mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickep said:
3 hours ago, Hairy said:
3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thanks Hairy my LHBS doesn't have Carapils at the minute, is there a substitute I could use?

Get the lightest crystal malt you can get, like Caramalt.

Otherwise just run without it.

Legend, thanks heaps mate.

Found some Cara malt 40-60 on line. You think that's okay. I have some Light Crystal malt 90-100 sitting in the cupboard as well