Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

18 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Boiled water is low in dissolved oxygen, isn't it? 

From a quick search it would seem it's not significantly lower than an already low level found in warm water:

"At 40°C (104ºF) the presence of oxygen dissolved in the water is already so low that there is almost no difference between oxygen levels at that temperature and at the boiling point. "

I used to always dry pitch until I learnt about rehydration at which point I adopted the practice. Then I later read about this study from Fermentis and subsequently stopped rehydrating and went back to dry pitching once again which, under casual observation seems to work just fine.  From the data the differences are seemingly negligible so I'm happy to stick with the simplicity of dry pitching... until another study later proves rehydration is in fact superior!  😄

• Like 1

Cool crashed 'em over the weekend...  W34/70 slurry led the charge on the ferment - and has cleared up faster ha ha than my plodding friend USO5 from starter n sprinkle...

But it is a little unfair as SO4 is not actually that dank - just not sitting in front of the fridge light ; )

Hoping to keg-on-up tomorrow...

image.png.afa3bbbdc8bffc87f52b79ee1b833a4d.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

wotfor?

Those pesky Belgian beers tend to take longer for flavours to round out and are beers that generally benefit from An extended rest on the yeast cake. I’m not sure what’s exactly happening in there during that time but being such yeast driven beers, the yeast tends to tell you when it’s ready. You would generally keep an eye on pH once ferment is done and look for a rise, which indicates the yeast has started to Croak and it’s time to crash and or package.

Saisons, depending on the yeast Used, tend to stall and kick back up after 3, sometimes 4 weeks, Which is why some may pitch an extra bit of yeast like a US-05 to finish things off. I won’t have that problem but in my readings, plenty usually experience a stall and the pitch at about 1.025 ish. So longer time on the yeasty is good in this regard

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Those pesky Belgian beers tend to take longer for flavours to round out and are beers that generally benefit from An extended rest on the yeast cake.

Date: 08/04/20

Hmm, might be time to look at mine soon!!!!

• Haha 3

Wotsinyerfermeneter?  Zero Nil Nichts... well a bit of slurry / yeast cake ha ha:

Lids have not been off - beer drained yes which would have had to drag some air in... am wondering whether I can leave them at 2 deg C clean and cold and then use the FVs again maybe Friday (3 days away) with the existing Yeast Cake - anyone?   Have done something similar before with excellent success..... mmmm but keen for input ye Brewers at large?  My previous experiment (where I was concerned about dry crustiness) seemed to work just fine...   Thoughts anyone?

image.png.52cf1e3a18261c77931e306814fcf11c.png

• Like 1

I have never done it like that.

Poured a brew straight onto a yeast cake the same day as bottling day.  That worked fine.

Harvested yeast cake slurry into mason jars and into the fridge for reusing a few times now.  That worked fine too.

Your proposal comes with more risk.  Longer exposure of greater surface area to possible nasties.  It might work fine though.

Would I do it in preference to the above options, probably not.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Would I do it in preference to the above options, probably not.

Agree - in general mate I would rather do it same day yes fer sher - and that is what I managed to do last time...

Thing is harvesting into jars... comes with its own risk... so was thinking maybe just leave them there with the lid on and get the brew in asap...

Comes with risk... and doing a grand old AG brew and losing it is no good... but maybe if I get a wild yeast infection I can call it a Saison or a Sour and drink it anyway ?  😝

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thing is harvesting into jars... comes with its own risk... so was thinking maybe just leave them there with the lid on and get the brew in asap...

I'm yet to come across any issues when harvesting into jars. If I was in your position i'd clean a jar, sanitise it, fill it, cap it and put it in the fridge. When the next brew day comes up just pour the beer off, swirl up the rest and tip the yeasties in. Can't go wrong.

Edited by Lettucegrove
  • Like 1

Nothing in yet, but after my last to strong efforts it's time to try to tone down the abv, I'm going for a mid strength style of real ale, will be splitting a can between two 10ltr fermenters, half a box of be2 in each, and then Chuck cascade hops in one and galaxy hops in the other..... And the experiment continues 💪💪💪

• Like 3

G'day Folks,

It seems I've been out of action for some time.

Some familiar names and many new, how are you all?

Well, I'm still brewing and now with Robobrew V1. Not sure if I was using it when I was on this forum last.

Anyways it's a heap of fun still!

I'm currently brewing a All-In Brewing Mosaic XPA FW kit, and my own all grain Belgian Witbier (pale, white wheat Coles quick oats) dry hopped with Lemondrop. Using trusty Coopers FV for lower hopped beers and my new Keg king Fermenter King Junior, which the beer stays in basically like a keg.

Cheers and hope to see you around

IMG_20200907_173630761.jpg

Edited by peekaboo_jones
  • Like 5

I just put this in the fridge. My first try at something not based on a recipe but on flavours I like and thinking maybe they'd go well together. If anyone knows what it resembles I'd appreciate a heads up. 😄 I called it a Dark English Ale because choc rye and EKG & fuggles. OG came in at 1.055 but that could be I didn't have choc rye grain in the Grains sheet so chose choc malt as closest.

image.png.755fec6cdd8bf7bba0958b5960735ee5.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I just put this in the fridge. My first try at something not based on a recipe but on flavours I like and thinking maybe they'd go well together. If anyone knows what it resembles I'd appreciate a heads up. 😄 I called it a Dark English Ale because choc rye and EKG & fuggles. OG came in at 1.055 but that could be I didn't have choc rye grain in the Grains sheet so chose choc malt as closest.

image.png.755fec6cdd8bf7bba0958b5960735ee5.png

Hahaha, welcome to homebrewers 1st world problems, what style is this beer? I laugh because I have had this exact same conversation in my head over and over. "This isn't quite an ale because I used this yeast and" blah blah blah. Hahahha.

We make beers that we think will taste good and let the BJCP catch up. I would call it "beer" and just enjoy it, wait scratch that it is "The greatest beer in the world" (think Jack Black)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Oh... I forgot to mention - it was pitched with a stored Coffee Stout trub from my rather wicked brew from April(?) S'already frothing.... 😄

I don't drink a lot of dark beers, I have the pallete of a 21 year old frat boy who grew up thinking corona was high brow, but this sounds like a nice beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Norris! said:

but this sounds like a nice beer

I'sa hoping so... 😄 It wasn't as dark as I thought it might be.

Also I didn't mash, just steeped. Normally with crystal I steep it then add the grain into a mash with maybe Coopers Ale malt to get the rest of the sugars out. This time I thought I'd see just the flavours without all the extras. The raw sugar was to give it a bit extra on the kinda molasses side of things. (and because SWMBO prefers beers that have raw sugar for some reason)

• Like 1