Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You may find the solution is no chill 😜

Hahaha! 👍

I won't lie to any of you. I was thinking just that today. %@#$ing long day, especially cleanup with all the extra bits & pieces.

That said, it has been nice having the brew in the FV & fermenting within 30mins of the end of the boil.

I shall press on with the chilling regime.

Lusty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I won't lie to any of you. I was thinking just that today. %@#$ing long day, especially cleanup with all the extra bits & pieces.

I have only done a handful of brews on my Grainfather so far, but no chilling is very tempting.  In fact I have done it for two of the brews.  It made the brew day feel so much quicker. and of course it was actually quicker.  

However, for the time being I will persist with the counterflow chiller, especially in winter.

My last couple of all grain brew days have gone hassle free.  That also makes the brew day go quicker.

• Like 3

Kicked off a SMOTY Ale yesterday. Originally bought the hops for dry hopping my dark ales but thought this was a good recipe to try out. Only my 2nd brew with hops and couldn't believe the difference between Cascade and East Kent Goldings in aroma, it's like flowers and well....mouldy hay. We'll see how the boil and steep works out down the track.

Had an empty fermenter for a week while the brew fridge has been on higher duties. I placed the first batch of Mr Sinister in for further conditioning at 19°. I really need to get these racks sorted out for the spa so I can put extra crates in, without submerging the bottle tops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have only done a handful of brews on my Grainfather so far, but no chilling is very tempting.  In fact I have done it for two of the brews.  It made the brew day feel so much quicker. and of course it was actually quicker.  

However, for the time being I will persist with the counterflow chiller, especially in winter.

My last couple of all grain brew days have gone hassle free.  That also makes the brew day go quicker.

I've been thinking of chilling mine recently. My latest IPA which has el Dorado and galaxy is pretty bitter. 100gms hop stand for 20 mins at flame out and into the cube. But it's obvious from tastes that isomerisation was still occuring. It's still a great beer but I am looking to refine. I'm past the stage of being a giddy new brewer and being thankful I brew something that's tastes good. 

I am mindful of water wastage so am thinking of using the immersion chiller in an ice bath method

• Like 4

On 8/15/2020 at 8:51 PM, Norris! said:

I missed seeing these photos BB

Am really glad you like them Norris... another good brewing mate gave me some good feedback too on that golden drop with a dark and stormy backdrop ha ha.... I do fekkkk about to try to get a nice shot... and really enjoy doing it as there are some great big sky views out here ; )

The challenge is now to keep making brews worthy of turning up for a big sky photo  😝    And the only other problem - don't work real well when it's dark : (

But when yer got a sky like this... what a ripper backdrop.... matches nicely with a lovely tasty All Grainer ; )

image.png.30330e6bce4b074a575f39d53fca542d.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

But it's obvious from tastes that isomerisation was still occuring

Paddy Mate wouldn't you be better off just doing a late hop in that situation?  Sounds like a bllllardy nice beer anyway!

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Paddy Mate wouldn't you be better off just doing a late hop in that situation?  Sounds like a bllllardy nice beer anyway!

All late hops mate but with the temp in the cube , isomerisation is still happening.  Supposedly 80 degrees is the magic mark where bitterness extraction stops. But the cube won't fall below that for a couple of hours and all the hop oils are in the wort.  Well that's my take on it anyway. So doing a bit of a chill might stop that 

• Like 1

I have a split batch at the moment - bog standard Czech Pil in the big one (about 15L after decanting) burbling away nicely at 15 degrees.  Decanted some pilsener to make an Abbey; added 500gm wheat malt extract, some coriander seed, 560g invert sugar and some Willamette hops - OG 1.086!!  The Abbaye yeast is chewing away quite well at 21 degrees, decent krausen in the craft FV.  Have no idea what it will come down to, but I will leave it as long as possible to avoid the overcarbing I got in the last few because I bottled too early.  If it gets low enough, it might be the biggest beer I have ever done - current record is 9.2% for a saison (bottled too early so very difficult to pour but it was a bloody nice drop).

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

I have a split batch at the moment - bog standard Czech Pil in the big one (about 15L after decanting) burbling away nicely at 15 degrees.  Decanted some pilsener to make an Abbey; added 500gm wheat malt extract, some coriander seed, 560g invert sugar and some Willamette hops - OG 1.086!!  The Abbaye yeast is chewing away quite well at 21 degrees, decent krausen in the craft FV.  Have no idea what it will come down to, but I will leave it as long as possible to avoid the overcarbing I got in the last few because I bottled too early.  If it gets low enough, it might be the biggest beer I have ever done - current record is 9.2% for a saison (bottled too early so very difficult to pour but it was a bloody nice drop).

Abbaye yeast for me anyway is a medium attenuator. Medium for Belgians that is. Id expect it especially with the sugar in there to get under 1.010. I must buy a packet again as it makes a nice beer. Found it excellent for blonds.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

Coriander seed?! Interesting. I think that's first time I've seen anyone use coriander in a brew.
I guess half the people who drink it will hate it and half will love it. 😄 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Coriander seed?! Interesting. I think that's first time I've seen anyone use coriander in a brew.
I guess half the people who drink it will hate it and half will love it. 😄 

Coriander seed when crushed gives a lovely orangey flavour/aroma.  Bog standard ingredient in Belgian/Trappist/Abbey beers.  Try it, it's quite subtle....

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

Coriander seed when crushed gives a lovely orangey flavour/aroma.  Bog standard ingredient in Belgian/Trappist/Abbey beers.  Try it, it's quite subtle....

Clearly you are far more advanced in your brewing journey than I am, Wayne. I'm still kits and bits but I like the sound of being able to add orangey tones.
I'm not all grain brewing, so do you think I could add coriander as a steeped or dry addition or both as you would with hops?

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Clearly you are far more advanced in your brewing journey than I am, Wayne. I'm still kits and bits but I like the sound of being able to add orangey tones.
I'm not all grain brewing, so do you think I could add coriander as a steeped or dry addition or both as you would with hops?

Dude, I have been brewing for 8 months, purely kit and kilo.  I put 9g of crushed seed in the last 5 mins of the hop boil for this one, this is pretty much my first foray into making shit up based on some interwebs info (http://allaboutbeer.com/article/abbey-and-trappist-beer/).  Previously did a Wit with orange zest/coriander in the boil, and dry hopped some more orange zest for aroma.  Will let you know how it comes out 🙂

Edited by Waynealford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Waynealford said:

Dude, I have been brewing for 8 months, purely kit and kilo.  I put 9g of crushed seed in the last 5 mins of the hop boil for this one, this is pretty much my first foray into making shit up based on some interwebs info (http://allaboutbeer.com/article/abbey-and-trappist-beer/).  Previously did a Wit with orange zest/coriander in the boil, and dry hopped some more orange zest for aroma.  Will let you know how it comes out 🙂

I'm still KnK brewing after almost 3 years. CLEARLY you are also more adventurous than me. 😄 
I add hops to most brews now and have started dabbling with reactivating Coopers commercial yeast with mixed success rates.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

Well the xmen ipa i did on Sunday is done. The LALBREW VOSS KVEIK yeast did its job, 1.058 to 1.010 in around 40 hours. Dry hop today with 25g Chinook and set freezer to cold crash. This will be kegged on Saturday a fast carb. Drinking so much beer during our lockdown i need to brew weekly. 19l a week, is that too much to drink?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

2 cartons a week....... nah, she’ll be right. It’s only a 6er a night

It's closer to 3 cartons a week, so more like 10 a night! LOL

14 hours ago, Titan said:

Drinking so much beer during our lockdown i need to brew weekly. 19l a week, is that too much to drink?

It depends on what standards you are working off. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Howdy All, 

I,m back in the Home Brew game as of last sunday 🙂  Put down a Pale Ale kit pimped with a hop boil using cascade @15mins and cascade&galaxy @ 1min.

This brew went together well and being winter was able to get the pitching temp of 19c straight of the bat! Day three at 18.6 temp controlled and its bubbling away still low and slow.

will dry hop with more cascade accordingly.  looking forward to pouring from the fridge again. 

Cheers to all, stay safe

Guvna

Edited by Guvna
  • Like 6

On 8/17/2020 at 11:25 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

All late hops mate but with the temp in the cube , isomerisation is still happening.  Supposedly 80 degrees is the magic mark where bitterness extraction stops. But the cube won't fall below that for a couple of hours and all the hop oils are in the wort.  Well that's my take on it anyway. So doing a bit of a chill might stop that 

Mate take yer festive Cube down the beach and sit in the waves for a while and then she'll cool nicely.

Maybe put a star-picket into the sand and a rope on your barrel so you don't lose the big fella if the swell picks up ?

Always keen for a renewable energy-practical result?

image.png.76c0655ec5ea7fda813bb365df18d40f.png

• Haha 4