Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

57 minutes ago, Woodsy1525230278 said:

chocolate Oatmeal stout brewed today. Mini mash.

Coopers Stout tin

500g Marris Otter 

100g Shepherd delight

500g LDME

100g cocoa powder

100g lactose

50g Bramling cross hops 

MJ Liberty Bell M15 yeast pitched 16C

OG on low side 1036. 

Is this for drinking next year, Lord Vader, err...I mean Woodsy? Or do you like a stout at any time of year?

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Is this for drinking next year, Lord Vader, err...I mean Woodsy? Or do you like a stout at any time of year?

Yeah don’t mind a stout any time, I messed a fruit stout up a few months back, so wanted to get another one down ( minus the fruit as was too nervous about stuffing it up again🤣)

• Like 2

My current AG Amber Ale had some problems achieving expected FG. After pitching some extra yeast, unfortunately it has progressed no further. I've tasted it flat, & is OK due to the drier finished style yeast (I think?), so will keg on the weekend. Had I used the Wyeast 1318 that I normally use with this recipe, it would likely be too sweet at this SG to keg/bottle. So that discounts the dry yeast I purchased as a possible cause believing it may have been a stall. It has to be something to do with the fermentability of the grist.

I've had some problems getting the unit to stabilise the mash temp quickly on both brews I've done so far. It fart-arses around fluctuating quite a bit early on once the grain is added engaging the heating element when the internal probe says it's under mash temp, then overshoots by some margin when attempting to attain the desired temp. I also believe I personally may have pushed the top screen down too far & compacted the grist unnecessarily that may have inadvertently created a problem in this area.

I won't make the mistake with the top screen next time, but the stabilising mash temp deal by the unit is bothering me. I mean if you can't get it to stabilise quickly, how could you possibly contemplate doing a step mash? I'm seriously considering using an independent temp probe down in the centre of the mash & having the unit not controlling temp during a settling period, just using it's internal pump to recirculate, & just using a strike temp based around water to grain ratio to achieve the desired mash temp more quickly before turning the unit elements on to maintain.

This bouncing around overshooting & undershooting by largish margins at the beginning of the mash is not good, & I must rectify this somehow. For what is supposed to be an automated unit, I'm not real happy with this area right now AT ALL. 😞

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Sad 1

@Beerlust

When you mash in are you mashing in at the mash temp or slightly higher due to the grains cooling it off and the stirring when doughing in?

That would only address the fluctuations at the start, for during the mash it could be a loose temp probe in the bottom, that can cause fluctuations. Check that out.

Power level used could be an issue also. Maybe start mashing with 500w and see how that holds the temp.

The environment and insulation for the system. It has been cold and windy the last couple of brew days which has caused the power to kick on more than normal I noticed, where I am. Maybe try insulating the system with a jacket or a home made one and see if that helps.

Just spit balling here.

• Like 3

Hi Norris. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Norris! said:

When you mash in are you mashing in at the mash temp or slightly higher due to the grains cooling it off and the stirring when doughing in?

On the first brew I mashed in at a higher "strike temp" like I would have when I partial mashed. According to the unit temp probe, it went ape shit & then started heating way past the desired mash temp according to the probe the unit was giving off. After what happened with the first brew, I mashed in just above the desired mash temp, but even then it still seemed to send the unit ape shit into large fluctuations initially overshooting etc. according to the internal temp probe reading & controlling the unit. So I'm like WTF? right now. 🤔

17 minutes ago, Norris! said:

...That would only address the fluctuations at the start, for during the mash it could be a loose temp probe in the bottom, that can cause fluctuations. Check that out.

How?

18 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Power level used could be an issue also. Maybe start mashing with 500w and see how that holds the temp.

Did that trying to restrict the variance of over & undershooting, & didn't seem to make much difference according to the digital temp fluctuations being displayed when using a high or low wattage setting.

21 minutes ago, Norris! said:

The environment and insulation for the system. It has been cold and windy the last couple of brew days which has caused the power to kick on more than normal I noticed, where I am. Maybe try insulating the system with a jacket or a home made one and see if that helps.

I purchased the neoprene jacket for the unit on the initial purchase. It has been used on both brews so I assume the unit is well insulated.

At boiling temps the unit functions well with temp control etc. It's just this initial doughing in/mash temp phase that is the problem so far from what the unit is telling me at least.

My gut feel is where the probe is taking its reading from does not give an accurate reading of the temp in the centre of the mash so may be creating this problem of temp control based on that. Maybe I'm starting the recirc too early as well. A number of areas to look at to solve this. I'll win though. 😉

Thanks for your thoughts & help. 👍

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Norris. 🙂

On the first brew I mashed in at a higher "strike temp" like I would have when I partial mashed. According to the unit temp probe, it went ape shit & then started heating way past the desired mash temp according to the probe the unit was giving off. After what happened with the first brew, I mashed in just above the desired mash temp, but even then it still seemed to send the unit ape shit into large fluctuations initially overshooting etc. according to the internal temp probe reading & controlling the unit. So I'm like WTF? right now. 🤔

How?

Did that trying to restrict the variance of over & undershooting, & didn't seem to make much difference according to the digital temp fluctuations being displayed when using a high or low wattage setting.

I purchased the neoprene jacket for the unit on the initial purchase. It has been used on both brews so I assume the unit is well insulated.

At boiling temps the unit functions well with temp control etc. It's just this initial doughing in/mash temp phase that is the problem so far from what the unit is telling me at least.

My gut feel is where the probe is taking its reading from does not give an accurate reading of the temp in the centre of the mash so may be creating this problem of temp control based on that. Maybe I'm starting the recirc too early as well. A number of areas to look at to solve this. I'll win though. 😉

Thanks for your thoughts & help. 👍

Lusty.

Well fudge, I got nothing then.

To check for a loose temp probe just touch it, it should be fairly snug, if not that could be an issue.

6 hours ago, Beerlust said:

My current AG Amber Ale had some problems achieving expected FG. After pitching some extra yeast, unfortunately it has progressed no further.

Suspect the issue is the Lallemand London ESB yeast. It does not ferment maltotriose, same as Windsor yeast. Both behave similarly in that they ferment very vigorously and quickly, but do not ferment maltotriose. 

Was the extra yeast you pitched the same or a different yeast? If it was the same, it would explain why it did not progress any further. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

Hi Christina.

6 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Suspect the issue is the Lallemand London ESB yeast. It does not ferment maltotriose, same as Windsor yeast. Both behave similarly in that they ferment very vigorously and quickly, but do not ferment maltotriose.

True. It leaves residual malt character & extra body in much the same way as Fermentis's S-04, & the Wyeast 1318 that I generally use on this beer recipe. You are indeed trying to encourage this aspect when using these strains, so a little extra body is expected as a result. Not 7 SG points worth though as is the case with my current brew.

6 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Was the extra yeast you pitched the same or a different yeast? If it was the same, it would explain why it did not progress any further. 

Different strain, & deliberately so for the reason you mentioned. 😉

I've discounted a stall now, so that seems to only leave the fermentability of the wort I produced. Given the settling mash temp problems I have encountered, it suggests the problem may well be here especially if the mash temp is spending time too high.

I'll get on top of it eventually. 😉

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Split batch with Czech Pils in the large FV, Abbey in the small.  Abbey is very close to being finished, from 1.086 down to 1.014 - only dropped 4 points in 4 days, so have bumped up the temps a little bit to get the last bit out.  HUUUUUGE trub down the bottom, not sure if there is going to be any yeast left in suspension when it comes time to bottle......

Pils was a bit on the coolish side (11.5 degrees), and had only come down 20 points in 10 days, so I have put it in the fermenting fridge with a bit of warmth to get it to 14 degrees.  Hopefully it starts blooping again, will check it in another 10 days to see what's what.

I can't put the next brew on until the Pils has finished, as the next 3 on the plan are all either big batches or split batches, and I need the large FV, not to mention the ferment fridge......

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 9:30 PM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

chocolate Oatmeal stout brewed today. Mini mash.

Coopers Stout tin

500g Marris Otter 

100g Shepherd delight

500g LDME

100g cocoa powder

100g lactose

50g Bramling cross hops 

MJ Liberty Bell M15 yeast pitched 16C

OG on low side 1036. 

After some advice with this one. After pitching the yeast starter at 16 degrees, took about 24 hrs to kick off, then went through a pretty vigorous fermentation for about 24 hrs, now it’s all gone quiet. It’s low on fermentables however. 
Should I do anything or just leave it for a bit longer and check an FG? 
maybe it’s done? 
cheers 

• Like 2

Brew Day Done... bit darker than I thought it would be... but I guess plenty freshly ground Munich and Voyager Veloria malt in with the other paler malts... means darker colour...  ah well it did smell good when I splash-piped it into the two FVs....

So I have got the fermentables into two Coops FVs big n small.... top one with W34/70 yeast slurry (from prior batch) and bottom with US05... same 18 deg Temp... same fridge chamber... will be interesting to see how the difference works out.... with the different yeasts... will keg both - big and small keg - and then it will bbe nice to see the comparison:

image.thumb.png.4d7a33557882adb5093d81c6223426f7.png

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Lager yeast at ale temperature = Steam beer?

The results will be interesting

Yes, the results will be interesting. Fermented at 18C, I suspect they will be very similar. I wonder which of the two will be cleaner or, put another way, which will be more ester-y? And what the difference in the FG will be? And which you will like better? Please keep us posted BB!

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Lager yeast at ale temperature = Steam beer?

Cheers Shamus - I thought that Dampf/Steam bier was lager malt with a wheat yeast - @porschemad911 John put me onto that.... guess there may be different names in different parts of the world...  yeah just had a look for Anchor Steam US Beer... suggests steam beer there is doing lager yeast at ale warmer temps... so steam beer means something different depending where you live ha ha?!   Now some reading would indicate that W34/70 is pretty tame even at warmer temps...  so was keen to try it out ; )

11 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I suspect they will be very similar. I wonder which of the two will be cleaner or, put another way, which will be more ester-y? And what the difference in the FG will be? And which you will like better? Please keep us posted BB!

Cheers Christina - yes I think that W34/70 can cope with warmer temps and be pretty clean even at around 18 deg C or so... And yeah US05 at 18 also is pretty tame but I quite like that clean flavour...

So ha ha it will be interesting to see if they turn out pretty similarly - and also yes the SG - will keep an eye on that as well....   ; )

• Like 2

Ey @Beerlust my Guten jumps around a bit from time to time. Weirdly enough it’s when I’m doing darker beers.....Ive started recircing the water through for a few minutes before mashing in and it seems to help level out a bit. 

During a jump around, i also checkthe wort coming out of the pump and even though there’s a variance on the guten, the mash temp is usually where it should be. 

• Thanks 1

@MitchBastard It shouldn't fluctuate as much as the temp probe is stating with my unit. Next brew I'm just going to mash-in around 71-72,  with the element power off. Once mashed in I'll begin the recirc for 5mins or so then turn the power to the element back on & see what it is saying & wanting to do.

If it starts carrying on like a two bob watch again, I'll just turn it off until the mash time is over.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Put this on today. Inspired by Shamus' recent experience with his "Amarillo Golden Ale" in which, instead of dry hopping with pure Amarillo like he planned, he accidentally used half Amarillo and half Mosaic. He said the results were very tasty, so I thought I would give it a try.  Thanks Shamus! 👍

Fortunate Mistake Pale Ale

1.7kg APA
1.5kg Light LME
900gm Maris Otter
100gm unmalted wheat
300gm Munich
20gm Amarillo @ 4 minutes with 20 minute stand before chilling
20gm Mosaic @ 4 minutes with 20 minute stand before chilling
Clarity Ferm
23L RO water
30gm Mosaic x 4 day DH
30gm Amarillo x 4 day DH
7gm Coopers Ale/lager blend + 7gm Cooper yeast dry pitched @ 1:45p.m. @ 21.7C. Fridge set to 20C. 

OG 1.053; FG 1.012; IBU 29; EBC 9; ABV 5.2%; BU:GU 0.56.
  • Like 6