Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I was being kind Lusty ha ha h ah ahha

Haha I know. What you were teaching him in among my circle of friends is something in the realm of what we call "the wife speech".

It basically involves confusing them with numbers inclusive of costs vs volumes vs dollar value vs time-frames mixed in with a bit of misdirection.

If you can master this speech & learn how to manipulate it's interchangeability, when the circumstances suit, you will never have a problem with beer buying or being challenged on storage levels with your partner EVER. 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

I guess it also depends on “normal” can size. 
375ml cans is 2.1 cartons of beer per keg. 
if you’re one of those 330ml bottle drinkers it’s well let’s just say more. 

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Haha I know. What you were teaching him in among my circle of friends is something in the realm of what we call "the wife speech".

It basically involves confusing them with numbers inclusive of costs vs volumes vs dollar value vs time-frames mixed in with a bit of misdirection.

If you can master this speech & learn how to manipulate it's interchangeability, when the circumstances suit, you will never have a problem with beer buying or being challenged on storage levels with your partner EVER. 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

Either way. Drink what you want as long as it doesn’t effect your life, family, friends and health. Once it does, it’s a problem 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

I guess it also depends on “normal” can size. 
375ml cans is 2.1 cartons of beer per keg. 
if you’re one of those 330ml bottle drinkers it’s well let’s just say more. 

You appear to have the basics of the formula already.... 😉

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate take yer festive Cube down the beach and sit in the waves for a while and then she'll cool nicely.

Maybe put a star-picket into the sand and a rope on your barrel so you don't lose the big fella if the swell picks up ?

Always keen for a renewable energy-practical result?

image.png.76c0655ec5ea7fda813bb365df18d40f.png

Haha I might have to mate. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

I have done it in wheat beers before, works well

I've heard about using coriander a few times and considered it as I like the flavours, but I haven't really moved that far down the beer+extra flavours so far. 😄 Seems like each time I think of 'enahncing' my brew I see someone with a weird combo - does anyone REALLY want a beer that tastes like lychee or one made with whale testicles smoked in sheep dung?

Edited by Journeyman

9 hours ago, Journeyman said:

...does anyone REALLY want a beer that tastes like lychee or one made with whale testicles smoked in sheep dung?

I don't want a beer to taste like Lychee, but the aromas & hints of lychee flavour in conjunction with the malt character....Yes.

Whale testicles &/or sheep dung in any form....No.

Maybe I'm just picky. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 6

On 8/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, The Captain!! said:

Well when people come around, which is like every day. They drink beer, and lots of it

I get it, what you wrote is an anagram.

...well every day there is lots of beer, and which when people come around like, they drink it.

😜

Lusty.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Saisons and sours are very different beers.

I’m quiet partial to saisons and like some sours, just depends on how sour they are, but more so how well balanced they are.

I had a sour last week from Range Brewing up here that was just awesome! 

😄 Colour me unedumacationed... 😄

I currently have an AG amber ale in my FV. The buggar has stalled @ 1.020 for some reason. Began like a rocket too so a little surprised. Yeast use by was only 2 months away so maybe viability is an issue. I had some problems stabilising the mash temp early that may have also contributed to this higher SG. Anyways problems happen from time to time when you're mixing things up as often as I do, so it doesn't really matter what the problem is at the time, it's how you rectify it.

I've re-roused & pitched some extra rehydrated yeast (not the same strain) to try & finish the last 6-7 points off.

I also took the time to add the 40gms of Mosaic dry hop while I had the lid open. According to some I might now get a bit of what is termed as "bio-transformation" by adding my dry hops at this point. No idea WTF bio-transformation smells or tastes like, I'm just hoping for blueberry/lychee/stone fruit notes like I normally get with this brew. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

How was your Oxygenation of the Wort prior to Pitching?

My first two AG brews have been really good, as I've been filling the FV from a height. The yeast took off like a rocket. Well inside 12hrs is good for me with a dry yeast. I've never used the dry ESB yeast before, so don't really know what to expect regarding attenuation, but FG certainly shouldn't be that high.

The re-pitch of new yeast appears to have done jack. I got home tonight & went to pour a beer from the keg, noticed the pressure gauge on zip. Attempted to adjust the pressure, nothing. I only got the tank refilled last week. Yay I obviously have a leak somewhere & just wasted $40.00. Add to that I split with my partner of the last 4½ years last Monday. They say luck comes in threes.

Not having a good week. 😢

Lusty.

• Sad 8

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Not having a good week.

Ah dear know where you're coming from Lusty....  stay strong mate....  the world can be ordinary around us mate... but when you can brew  and cook lovely food so well.... you need to know you are in a good space mate. 

Yeah re your 1020 I just am thinking I ended up with a high SG Beer which ended up being nice - maybe associated with not such a great oxygenation when I put it into the SS vessel (as opposed to the Coops PLazzi FV where I have never had an oxygenation issue).... just a possibility.... and I had also introduced further yeast as well. 

Whatever comes mate - take care - and focus on the positives mate - there are plenty worse off than us.

And although it seems we keep being dealt one bad hand after the other... we really need to be grateful for what we got right now even tho the dark stormy clouds are racing at us.... there's always a bit of sun there somewhere mate.  

You take care of yourself Lusty. BB

image.thumb.png.94421f46e6eb19fd69603a13add438ce.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another cheapo lockdown beer with stuff from the pantry 

The pandemic stout

1 o.s stout tin + homebrand lager tin, 400g dark brown sugar, one tea spoon cinnamon, one TSP nutmeg, 30ml vanilla essence,12g of star anise, 150 g cocoa nibs. 3 kit yeasts, 17 L

At bottling will add a dry chilli to each bottle

Edited by bennysbrew
  • Haha 1

Well, it's not in the fermenter yet but I'm working on what it should be. I've got a new tool, a sous vide 'stick' that clips to the side of a pot, so I can do larger partial mashes. And to go with it, a 29 cm hop spider tube the sous vide will sit in to make sure the grains stay out of the tube and impeller.

I also have a couple of cans of LME, plenty of Ale malt, several types of specialty grains, (crystal, caramalt, golden promise) and several kgs of LDME. Oh, and some whirflock tabs to clear things up from the extra grain levels. 😄 

More later when I craft my dastardly recipe for my Killer Ale. I haven't done an over-8% beer for a while. 😄

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 6:39 PM, Beerlust said:

Not having a good week.

Hang in there mate. Feel free to PM if you want to vent at all. I still share a houise with my ex and she's been chatting online to guys - it can be difficult when we get slapped with drastic changes.

• Thanks 1