Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Quick Question - why are you leaving in your fermenter 3 weeks before bottling?

I'm scared of grandes. I had it once. The bottle was probably too thin, it exploded and 0,5 square centimeter fragments spilled everywhere, bouncing off the walls into the next room. I do not want to imagin, what it would do to me, if it happens again, and I am within range.

That is why I rather give yeasts more time to work. I am patient 😉

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

when it comes to Australia - as I got to you first - you are now an official Queensland Maroons Supporter

Queensland, eh?

Deal! I spent some of my very most beautifull time in Aerlie Beach, so Queensland has very special place in my heart. I never undestood the rules of rugby, but I like to watch the game, as you can drink beer and eat with your mates like animal and nobody says a word. 😉 Maroons is my rugby team since now 😉 I hope, one day it would perform haka before the game 😉😉😉

When I get yeast cake from this beer I am going to brew Australian Sparkling Ale.

Edited by Mirek Kania
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And PS = when it comes to Australia - as I got to you first - you are now an official Queensland Maroons Supporter - do not support the NSW Blues in any State of Origin Rugby League Match please from now on 😝

C'mon mate, you live in Blues territory 🙂 Well, I live in Qld and still support the Blues. Mainly because back in the day, the Moron...ermm...Maroons were pretty much the Broncos in a different jersey and I cannot stand the donkeys. Hence, me supporting the Blues 🙂 Plus SWMBO is a born and bred cockroach and it isn't safe to support the cane toads 😂

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And PS = when it comes to Australia - as I got to you first - you are now an official Queensland Maroons Supporter - do not support the NSW Blues in any State of Origin Rugby League Match please from now on 😝

C'mon mate, you live in Blues territory 🙂 Well, I live in Qld and still support the Blues. Mainly because back in the day, the Moron...ermm...Maroons were pretty much the Broncos in a different jersey and I cannot stand the donkeys. Hence, me supporting the Blues 🙂 Plus SWMBO is a born and bred cockroach and it isn't safe to support the cane toads 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mate you can say it twice but I still won't believe you - with your great Bavarian Heritage you need to be a Maroon supporter - Zminga is the Brisbane of Deutschland haha fighting against the established Preussen ; ) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mirek Kania said:

Queensland, eh?

Deal! I spent some of my very most beautifull time in Aerlie Beach, so Queensland has very special place in my heart. I never undestood the rules of rugby, but I like to watch the game, as you can drink beer and eat with your mates like animal and nobody says a word. 😉 Maroons is my rugby team since now 😉 I hope, one day it would perform haka before the game

Haha Mirek welcome aboard the Maroon Team Bus!!! 

Just quietly - best you know as soon as possible - the Haka is a kiwi (new zealand) thing.... so you might erase that please from your memory ha ha! And quickly too - it is "Rugby League" - as Rugby is usually the term utilised for "Rugby Union" very different game ha ha.... ah life can be complicated hey?!

But both Rugby Codes do allow and encourage onlookers to engage in drinking beer and eating like animals whilst viewing and thereafter.... too much is barely enough haha 😝

Aaaaargh Airlie Beach Mirek - you certainly picked one of the best spots in Australia mate ; )

image.thumb.png.e02a17049e377ae0da677604b9399719.png

And understood regards your patient wait on keg finalisation re exploding bottles - you could utilise a hydrometer to monitor changes in SG... just a thought

Edited by Bearded Burbler

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

My wife was born in Cronulla and is a stinking blues supporter, I am a proud Queenslander, not a donkeys supporter though.

Oh yeah and we won, my wife is ignoring me this morning, can’t imagine why 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

My wife was born in Cronulla and is a stinking blues supporter, I am a proud Queenslander, not a donkeys supporter though.

Oh yeah and we won, my wife is ignoring me this morning, can’t imagine why 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, Qld was the better team, beating the Blues with the old Bennett tactic of wearing them down. But the Ref ending the game even before the 80 minutes were up (the clock stopped at 79:59) and when the blues are less 10m away from the try line with 4 more tackles to go doesn't look particularly good. 

It reminded me of a Bayern Munich game many moons ago, when Bayern took the lead in the 84th minute and shortly after, the ref ended the game. When asked why he did so with 6 minutes to go, he claimed that according to his watch, time was up. Yeah right 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, Qld was the better team, beating the Blues with the old Bennett tactic of wearing them down. But the Ref ending the game even before the 80 minutes were up (the clock stopped at 79:59) and when the blues are less 10m away from the try line with 4 more tackles to go doesn't look particularly good. 

It reminded me of a Bayern Munich game many moons ago, when Bayern took the lead in the 84th minute and shortly after, the ref ended the game. When asked why he did so with 6 minutes to go, he claimed that according to his watch, time was up. Yeah right 🙂 

Yeah I grew that  was a bit of luck for QLD.

But I’m sure the blues will bounce back in Sydney and give us a tougher game.

What I don’t get is the season is over, why not play it on a Saturday afternoon so most people can have mates around, have a bbq, watch the game and have a few hundred home brews ?

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

and when the blues are less 10m away from the try line with 4 more tackles to go doesn't look particularly good. 

Geeze Louise AK you are clutching at straws here now mate.... I would like to suggest that 1 blardy second is probably a bit different to 6 minutes....but then again... soccer... it takes 90 minutes to get around to scoring 1 goal so I guess you can't rush things then can you!?!

Mate the sau-Preusss Welshmen were the screaming huge favourites... they were up 10 nil at half time.... a star-studded cast.... all the big legends... and fortunately a bit of heart and a bit of Benny magic at half time got our good boys through....

I really thought that Q was going down.... it was an amazing thing that they managed to overcome the sau-Preuss with was it 9 new players?! and sneak home ha ha!

Time to ditch SWMBO and join me and @Red devil 44 Red on the good side AK!!!   It's not too late!!!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

What I don’t get is the season is over, why not play it on a Saturday afternoon so most people can have mates around, have a bbq, watch the game and have a few hundred home brews ?

Maaaaaaaaaate Red - wow - cannot agree more - how good would that be.... but sadly it is the TV Machine and they want viewers - mid week.... phaaarque...

Sadly the Arvo main game game - was always 3pm when I was playing... is now purely controlled by TV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Geeze Louise AK you are clutching at straws here now mate.... I would like to suggest that 1 blardy second is probably a bit different to 6 minutes....but then again... soccer... it takes 90 minutes to get around to scoring 1 goal so I guess you can't rush things then can you!?!

Mate the sau-Preusss Welshmen were the screaming huge favourites... they were up 10 nil at half time.... a star-studded cast.... all the big legends... and fortunately a bit of heart and a bit of Benny magic at half time got our good boys through....

I really thought that Q was going down.... it was an amazing thing that they managed to overcome the sau-Preuss with was it 9 new players?! and sneak home ha ha!

Time to ditch SWMBO and join me and @Red devil 44 Red on the good side AK!!!   It's not too late!!!

Nah mate, not clutching at anything. It's just unusual that a game gets whistled off during play. At least they let them finish playing the ball. All they had to do was pass the ball to the right, where there was one lonely Queenslander and three or four cockroaches heading toward him. I'm not saying they would have scored or even won, it's just unusual. When was the last time you saw a game ended mid ball play? 

Queensland insisted before the game that they are not the underdog. Bennett made sure of it. And one thing you have to say about Queenslanders, they NEVER give up. They can be 20 points down a minute before the siren and still fight as if their life depended on it. You don't see this in NSW for some reason.

But to be honest, I have lost interest in Origin quite a while ago. I remember back in the day, we went to Frankfurt on origin night to watch the game at the Down Under Bar in Sachsenhausen. It was just awesome. I wouldn't miss a game, even if it was yet another slaughter by Qld. But it just isn't the same anymore and I actually didn't watch the first half yesterday. Well, I didn't need to because I got a running commentary bu SWMBO 🙂 

You sound like Obi Wan and Yoda, trying to convert me to the other side. But I can see right through you guys, you are really the emperor and Darth Vader and try to lure me to the dark side 😂 Sorry but I am loyal to a team and don't switch sides milly nilly. Mate, I am an 1860 Munich supporter, who by now play in the 3rd grade league. I don't care if Bayern Munich wins another 200 championships, I'll always be an 1860 supporter. Einmal Löwe, immer Löwe.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

When was the last time you saw a game ended mid ball play? 

Mmmm the hooter goes or the Ref's Whistle blows and that is the end.... at the next tackle... did the Blues just stop playing?  Guess they were all looking at the Ref...

Einmal Löwe, immer Löwe.

Anyway - agreed mate ; )

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haka is a kiwi (new zealand) thing

<whisper>I know 😉 I tease with you </whisper>

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

you could utilise a hydrometer to monitor changes in SG

Yeah, I already bought all needed parts to put couple of iSpindels together. Mostly, to adjust fermentation temperature on ongoing basis.

Funny, as non of my beers never finnished fermentation in 14 days. The one, I mentioned above is in fermenter since 21.10. and is still bubbling every 1 minute. Maybe this is, I always start in relatively lowest possible temperatures.

Edited by Mirek Kania
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mirek Kania said:

<whisper>I know 😉 I tease with you </whisper>

Haha Well Played Queenslander!

1 minute ago, Mirek Kania said:

and is still bubbling every 1 minute.

Well that sounds good and while it's bubbling let it keep going : )

First All Grain down today. Gladfield Ale and Wheat. Hopped with Hort. Big day but very enjoyable. The hardest thing was clean up. Labour of love.  I got 1050, 21 litres of wort. Really could improve on that. I tried whirlpooling. 50/50 success.

IMG20201105202008.jpg

• Like 7

I love SOO but, probably because it was after season end, I was not emotionally invested in it. 

I didn't scream at the TV once.

QLD were the better team in both halves and should have won by a lot more than 4.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I have a NSW made beer in my fermenter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you can see I have my sensor probe well taped to the FV! 

This is my second kveik (M12) brew, fermented 1.041 down to 1.004 in under two days.  One problem I have with this yeast is that it seems to create a massive cake, one which covers the tap on this particular FV!  I have it slightly tilted back but it's not nearly enough.  I went to draw off a sample today to confirm FG... and nothing... then after a wee while just a single drop of beer.   Looks like the tap is completely blocked.  Last brew I had to transfer to the priming bucket using an auto-siphon.  Clearly I'll have to do the same again with this batch!   

Oh, and the temperature strip on the side of the FV is actually faulty - the brew isn't really sitting at 36, 38 and40ºC simultaneously!  Anyway, as I'm unable to easily double-check FG I'm gonna just take a punt and cold-crash.   At 1.004 I think it's safe to say it's done! 

InkedIMG20201106112143_LI.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

First All Grain down today. Gladfield Ale and Wheat. Hopped with Hort. Big day but very enjoyable.

Congrats Congrats All Grainer!!!  Well done PM and looking forward in anticipation of seeing it in the glass!  : )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

As you can see I have my sensor probe well taped to the FV! 

A little disappointing Sandman - in the excellence in overly-excessive-taping awards I am not quite sure whether you have used enough haha 😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Nic mate it seems to me that the Voyager malts do not deliver quite like some of the say German malts...

Veloria is a wonderful wonderful malt... but this schooner malt just does not deliver the amount of fermentables like e.g. Weyermann Pilsener malt... 

Yeah it's good stuff  - the last batch turned to be one of my favourites  (I also fiddled with the hop schedule so could be partly that). Voyager is now sold at my local homebrew shop so I might get a 25kg sack. Freight was making that a problem previously  had to come from Canberra and 25kg sacks were going to require a pallet. Cost doesn't really worry me I just wanted to get it a little more consistent so I just add it to begin with.

I think you might be onto something - I looked back through brewfather this all started when I switched from Simpsons Maris Otter to Gladfield. I was getting at or within 5 points with Simpsons which doesn't really worry me.  It seemed to be getting worse and I started to use LDME to adjust  which I don't like because I find leads to a higher FG (I thinks its not as fermentable).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

I switched from Simpsons Maris Otter to Gladfield.

Nicos mate - I just got me a bag of SMO - so now we shall see - I'll do a Voyager brew and then an SMO brew and see how the OG and FG turn out... keep everything else the same... as much as possible

And see whether what my Drug Lord claims is correct.... given my Weyermann Pils Malt vs Voyager experience I suspect he will be right... 

Fact is that is not necessarily a bad thing - just different - as I said - aussie malts are great and make great beer!

I would like to get some Coopers Malt too but seems like it is harder to get on the East Coast and am not keen to pay freight from Adelaide.... 

image.thumb.png.b92adf1ecda0c4e897ebe384642afd6d.png