Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 11/4/2020 at 2:00 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Cheers Titans19, yeah I bought it in a pack from the LHBS, just found a pic.

G'day RD,

I went to the LHBS today and put all the Morgans extracts, MJ cascade hops and the US-05 yeast on the counter to make the Little Creatures Clone, but then put half of it back when it tallied up to $68!...

I've decided to just buy the Hops and Yeast in bulk from Kegland (just priced it up then and it's only 25% of the costs..!), and buy the Pacific Pale Ale and Malt Wheat Extract online. The only issue is due to postage and availability it's looking a bit pricey to source the two, and thought I'd try get the similar outcome out of Coopers extracts instead.

What are your thoughts on these as alternatives?

• Thomas Cooper Malt Wheat Extract 1.5kg - instead of Morgans Master Malt Wheat 1.5kg
  • Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat 1.7kg - instead of Morgans Pacific Pale Ale    (Thought the TC Wheat would suit due to Keglands Wild Wood being the Muntons Wheat Beer)

or would a better alternative be:

• Coopers Australian Pale Ale - instead of Morgans Pacific Pale Ale?

I priced if I use the Coopers TC range it will cost at worst approx $37 for a 23lt batch (bit less using CPA), compared to $68 sourcing from the LHBS.

Any thoughts on what would work best from your experience would be great.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Titans19 said:

G'day RD,

I went to the LHBS today and put all the Morgans extracts, MJ cascade hops and the US-05 yeast on the counter to make the Little Creatures Clone, but then put half of it back when it tallied up to $68!...

I've decided to just buy the Hops and Yeast in bulk from Kegland (just priced it up then and it's only 25% of the costs..!), and buy the Pacific Pale Ale and Malt Wheat Extract online. The only issue is due to postage and availability it's looking a bit pricey to source the two, and thought I'd try get the similar outcome out of Coopers extracts instead.

• Thomas Cooper Malt Wheat Extract 1.5kg - instead of Morgans Master Malt Wheat 1.5kg
  • Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat 1.7kg - instead of Morgans Pacific Pale Ale    (Thought the TC Wheat would suit due to Keglands Wild Wood being the Muntons Wheat Beer)

I priced if I use the Coopers TC range it will cost at worst approx $37 for a 23lt batch (bit less using CPA), compared to $68 sourcing from the LHBS.

Cheers!

You could do it two ways:

1 - 1 x Coopers APA + 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Extract goo

2 - 1 x Coopers Hefe Wheat + 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract goo

Both would produce a good "pacific ale" style brew.

While I generally brew all-grain I do a few extract/partial brew to give away and recently brewed the Hefe kit. Recipe was:

1 x Coopers Hefe Wheat

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract 

250g Gladfield medium crystal

25g each of Amarillo and Cascade boiled for 10mins

75g of Cascade hop flowers at flame out

American Ale 1272 yeast

Style is more of an American Wheat beer and turned out great for a kit beer. The yeast does make a difference though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maurice79 said:

You could do it two ways:

1 - 1 x Coopers APA + 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Extract goo

2 - 1 x Coopers Hefe Wheat + 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract goo

Both would produce a good "pacific ale" style brew.

While I generally brew all-grain I do a few extract/partial brew to give away and recently brewed the Hefe kit. Recipe was:

1 x Coopers Hefe Wheat

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract 

250g Gladfield medium crystal

25g each of Amarillo and Cascade boiled for 10mins

75g of Cascade hop flowers at flame out

American Ale 1272 yeast

Style is more of an American Wheat beer and turned out great for a kit beer. The yeast does make a difference though.

Champion!.. thanks Maurice.

I can't find that yeast on Kegland. Would the US-05 be just as good as the 1272? or should I source yeast and hops from somewhere else? any suggestions?

Cheers

18 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Would the US-05 be just as good as the 1272?

Haha there are a few on this site who would say US05 does not bring much to the table... but I like it for Ales - it ferments at 18 very clean and drops out nicely - and that way you can let the malts and the hops do the talking.... the only real way to determine the difference is to do the exact same brew with the two different yeasts ; )

If you want Wheat Beer - Weizen flavour - then W3068 is good.... but it is worlds apart... have done same wort with the two different yeasts and the Weizen Yeast comes out like Weizen - very very different to the US05 Ale scene... HTH

Good Brewing

BB

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Titans19 said:

Would the US-05 be just as good as the 1272?

US-05 will be fine. 1272 is  Wyeast liquid yeast that I prefer for my ales (other than English ones).  Its just personal preference as I prefer the slight fruity flavours 1272 provides over US-05. Its nearly 3 times expensive, so you need to make sure you reuse for a few batches. 

With dry yeast I prefer BRY-97 over US-05.  AS per BB comments US-05 ferments clean and is a reliable ale yeast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

If you want Wheat Beer - Weizen flavour - then W3068 is good.... but it is worlds apart... have done same wort with the two different yeasts and the Weizen Yeast comes out like Weizen - very very different to the US05 Ale scene... HTH

I have a smack pack of W3068 in the fridge ready for next weeks brew day, a hefeweizen in the style of the legendary Weihenstephan Hefe. Totally different beer to the American wheats with ale yeasts. I have a few bottles of the real deal in the fridge for post yard work knock off drinks this arvo. Cheers 🍻

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Titans19 said:

G'day RD,

Cheers!

Bugger mate, yeah mine comes all pre-packed from my LHBS, but the Coopers Pale Ale would be a good substitute, along with wheat malt.

I have made S & W with just Galaxy hops & no cascade, I even made one with 100g Galaxy hops, was Mickey Mouse. 
Im reasonably lucky the manager of the LHBS is ex Air Force & Knows my late father in-law, they were good mates in the AF, so he always looks after me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

US-05 will be fine. 1272 is  Wyeast liquid yeast that I prefer for my ales (other than English ones).  Its just personal preference as I prefer the slight fruity flavours 1272 provides over US-05. Its nearly 3 times expensive, so you need to make sure you reuse for a few batches. 

With dry yeast I prefer BRY-97 over US-05.  AS per BB comments US-05 ferments clean and is a reliable ale yeast.

Thanks again.

I haven't looked into the liquid yeast, or how to reuse yeast, or culture it... Something I'll have to look up I guess.

Cheers

50 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Bugger mate, yeah mine comes all pre-packed from my LHBS, but the Coopers Pale Ale would be a good substitute, along with wheat malt.

I have made S & W with just Galaxy hops & no cascade, I even made one with 100g Galaxy hops, was Mickey Mouse. 
Im reasonably lucky the manager of the LHBS is ex Air Force & Knows my late father in-law, they were good mates in the AF, so he always looks after me.

The Wild Wood one had 100g Galaxy hops and I thought it was pretty good. Just going to try a few alternatives and also try this little creatures clone.

Thanks mate... hope the back better.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

The Wild Wood one had 100g Galaxy hops and I thought it was pretty good. Just going to try a few alternatives and also try this little creatures clone.

Thanks mate... hope the back better.

Thanks mate, I just got my brother in-law to keg the Little Creatures for me yesterday & load my S &W clone for me. 

I didn’t realise but I had another keg of LC tucked away up in the back in my keg storage area, be about 4 months old now, happy days.

Gassed up overnight, Just tapped the Stone &Wood, will pour a pint and send you a pic shortly 🍻🍻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow.... looks good enough to drink Red 😝!!

Lovely lovely!!!

Going down very nice BB, some nice marinated chicken in the fridge to go on the bbq with spuds, and watch the Bledisloe Cup tonight, followed by Man Utd vs Everton on Optus.

Got beer on tap, good food, sports on tv, lovely bride, happy days 🍻🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had similar

3 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

Uhhh this isn't the start of pellicle is it? Only just put the yeast in last night so activity hasn't started yet.

20201109_064105.jpg

I had similar on a Coopers Lager/yeast brew which I am doing now. It took three days for the yeast to fire up. I wasn't concerned about it.

• Like 1

FV - IPA of sorts... This is 24 hours with a big fat load of US05 Slurry... that ONE time I should have fitted the Krausy Colllar?!?! 

Think will let it go and when I do the Late Hop I will get some sterile wipes and clean the lid-FV junction... in brew fridge... no mess... just the junction got some froth pushed into it...

But it does smell GRAND

image.thumb.png.19d568e1359df57c326df2c961d7dc8a.png

• Like 2

Popped an All Inn Brewing Consequences Lager FWK in the fermenter Sat night after kegging the “mid strength” blonde.

Going to follow the great Otto’s fermentation schedule so 2 packets of S-189 went into it at 12 degrees. Active fermentation happening at 24 hours.

So why the FWK I hear you say? Most of my brew gear is packed at the moment. Keen to let you all in on the story soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With me festive Hop Coach @Norris! Norris' recommendation... I have smashed in another 100g of LH in this lovely Ale... 50:50 Columbus and Chinook... in the Hop Sock... should be lovely - the aroma so far is good.... Going to leave it for 3 days - and then Cold Crash and get into Keg ASAP.   Mmm I think the Boss suggested a 100 of each if I had them... but I sooked it and just have gone 100g all up... But...

Hoping this is gunna be TASCHTEEEE        ........it does have a lovely look about it hey....... 😝

image.thumb.png.019a1d9f54c70a8cb64c84df3826a18c.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

With me festive Hop Coach @Norris! Norris' recommendation... I have smashed in another 100g of LH in this lovely Ale... 50:50 Columbus and Chinook... in the Hop Sock... should be lovely - the aroma so far is good.... Going to leave it for 3 days - and then Cold Crash and get into Keg ASAP.   Mmm I think the Boss suggested a 100 of each if I had them... but I sooked it and just have gone 100g all up... But...

Hoping this is gunna be TASCHTEEEE        ........it does have a lovely look about it hey....... 😝

image.thumb.png.019a1d9f54c70a8cb64c84df3826a18c.png

Depending on your tastes there BB, the 100g for dry hop might be plenty with that nice wack of late hops hotside. 

I do struggle with bitterness. I have been saving some hops for when the wort cools to a round 80c and toss those into the cube and transfer, which has helped me dial in the expected level better. I have had a  howler though! It made my eyes water. I expected 30ibu, I got about 45 I would say, not bad but the 1st taste really surprised me. Anyways, hope it tastes as good as it smells.

• Like 1

Final grav has been reached on my house west coast pale ale. Extremely happy with this beer. Really dialing in this recipe and she’s almost where I want it. Dry hopped it 3 days ago with cascade, centennial, Columbus and Simcoe and it’s currently on its way down to 1.5 for a few days. 

3AE74295-6D04-480F-9AF0-95DFBDD472D2.jpeg

• Like 5