Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah I think Ben 10 is the Jedi Master, have to see how much I work away FIFO this yr f my brewing schedule 🤣🤣

Mmm..... very true @Ben 10 is the Jedi Master...

But not only the Brew... it's the smoked products, sausages and the Wurst that is just outstanding... something for us to work towards ; )

I would love to smoke my meats etc, ( mate of mine works at a meatworks ) I’ve got my hands on some 2nd hand cold room material but my house at the moment doesn’t have the room, looking to buy another property  later in the yr and rent our place out, the new place will have room for a decent man cave, games room, my cold room project etc. I make my own cheese currently 😃

• Like 1

Threw in 30g each of Vic secret and Amarillo, and 20g Centennial dry hop for the pale ale. Took the temp probe off and dropped the controller to zero, so I suppose the beer will probably settle around 1-2 degrees. I'll add biofine on Sunday as well, when I pitch the pilsner in the other FV. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I make my own cheese currently 😃

Very nice Red.  @Ben 10 Benny.... RD has set us up for another rabbit hole?!

Red - books - ideas - where to start - I am hoping to get cabinet with Temp and RH sorted for Wurst - is cheese just a temp control thing like beer FV or does it require Humidity control as well?

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Angle Grinder - Sword - drive over with car and put tarp out to catch contents as can explodes....?

Or maybe just a trusty old pocket knife can opener....  that saved me in the past on the KnK frontier ; )

Lol, very creative BB,

Did look for my army ration pack tin opener without success so was considering the hacksaw or drill but found the fancy tin opener in the nick of time!!

Proof of life attached!! Shiny brew fridge & FV primed.

Houston, we are good to bubble.

608790649_FVsuccess.thumb.JPG.eb1cea1de79e112ae16709514198803a.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YeastyBoy said:

Lol, very creative BB,

Did look for my army ration pack tin opener without success so was considering the hacksaw or drill but found the fancy tin opener in the nick of time!!

Proof of life attached!! Shiny brew fridge & FV primed.

Houston, we are good to bubble.

Soooooper Doooper YB - luvyerwork!

Very very well done.... a lovely brew fridge and FV ready to do - canna hand a man a grander spanner... mmm maybe canna hand a brewer a grander brewspace!

image.png.fa606f6794ca5ee584d9102b538de2a5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate Mitchi this looks like a very nice beer... and I reckon that the LME Wheat into a brew like that takes you so much closer to AG it is amazing.

And mate I am a big supporter of US05... reckon it is the biz for Ales.  Good luck with that one and please let us know what the final result is.

Cheers. BB

Cheers mate! I just got the BrewZilla for xmas and am just using up the last of my extract stocks so very keen to get into the AG!

Will let everyone know how it goes when shes done 🙂

Mitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got my usual house IPA in the FV.

Using US-05 for the first time in a couple of years for this one , usually use Notty, so hopefully it goes well!

Think I have found my perfect hop combo : Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic

Citra Simcoe Mosaic IPA 2020

Brewed Tuesday 10/1/2020
24 litres 
OG 1.059
Predicted FG 1.012
US-05 starter 1.5L
IBU 51
About 6.2%in the keg

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
500g LDME
250g Wheat DME
300g White Sugar 
200g Caramunich II cold steeped overnight in 1.5L of water in fridge

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Simcoe 25g 10min

Citra 25g 5min
Simcoe 25g 5min
Mosaic 25g 5min
Allow to cool for 15 minutes, before actively chilling wort (5 litre boil)

Dry hop
Citra 50g
Simcoe 25g
Mosaic 25g

Cheers

James
  • Like 6

My Zombie Dust IPA clone is almost done. Took a reading and she’s at 1.012. Sample tasted great. All citra. No other hop 

i got too high efficiency on brew day. I set my efficiency to 67% when inputting the recipe. I came out at 80%. So instead of a 6.9% IPA I’m gonna be bordering closer to eight percent.  I’m not too fussed but as long as it doesn’t have that alcoholey taste 

• Like 6

It’s strange mate. With my Belgians i come under 70. With my IPA’s I’m high 70s. I’m a very active brewer with the mash. Right or wrong, I am constantly stirring for the full hour.  I think my efficiency is bad when I use wheat. Which after googling seems to be a common issue with that grain type 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

NEIPA number 4! Got the temp down to 22 and that's the best I could do (yeah I know, get a fridge!), may the beer gods be with me....

OG was 1.058, so happy days. Will dry hop at day 2 100gms and day 4 100gms.

Depending on the yeast, I would dare say that temp would be nice and could bring some nice esters to the table that might not otherwise show up otherwise at 18c or a lower temp. Either way if it is like your past ones, which looked pretty awesome, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 2

Just pitched the Kviek into my American Viking pale ale. Pitched at about 28 degrees. Will have a peep in a few hours to see if there is activity. 

tell ya what...white labs need a new pouch system. I’ve watched many a video where people snip the top off and yeast squirts in any direction but the fv......knowing this and  being prepared for it I still copped a bit in the back of the hand. 

smells like fruit juice. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I got a voucher for my LHBS at Christmas. I've already got a couple of grain bills ready at home but not much time at present so I grabbed an All Inn NEIPA FWK. 

It's fermenting away happily in my FV. It's hopped with Azacca, Sabro and El Dorado. I'll dry hop with 50 grams of each. I've not brewed with any of these hops before so quite looking forward to it.

It'll also be the first beer to go on tap in my new keg set-up.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

I got a voucher for my LHBS at Christmas. I've already got a couple of grain bills ready at home but not much time at present so I grabbed an All Inn NEIPA FWK. 

It's fermenting away happily in my FV. It's hopped with Azacca, Sabro and El Dorado. I'll dry hop with 50 grams of each. I've not brewed with any of these hops before so quite looking forward to it.

It'll also be the first beer to go on tap in my new keg set-up.

Sounds nice. I didn't know they did a NEIPA, good to know when you need a keg filler.

8 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

...tell ya what...white labs need a new pouch system.

Yeah I found it a little problematic using their new pouches mainly extracting all of the yeast from it.

That said, all 3 different strain pouches I have purchased from White Labs in this most recent format fermented beautifully without fault.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Yeah I found it a little problematic using their new pouches mainly extracting all of the yeast from it.

That said, all 3 different strain pouches I have purchased from White Labs in this most recent format fermented beautifully without fault.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah squeezing it out the end Like a sauce sachet is also a little annoying. 

14 hours ago, Popo said:

I have a 100gms of Azacca going into my NEIPA (along with Cascade and Citra) so it will be interesting to see what it brings to the party.

• Like 1