Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Just pitched the leftovers lager, forgot to check volume but it looked like 21 litres or so 😂 currently sitting at 7 degrees as the cube was in the fridge since Saturday night. Also oxygenated for about 90 seconds. Planned to pitch it yesterday but forgot to soak the FV Saturday. Probably a good thing anyway really because I couldn't be arsed after golf yesterday morning. I did add biofine to the pale ale yesterday though.  

This batch overshot the OG; for some reason I got a higher mash efficiency than normal so the OG ended up at 1.058 instead of the target 1.051 or so. This would make the overall efficiency over 80%, but I'll get the proper figure when I input to Beersmith. 

I will have to calibrate the inkbird again after this batch. Not sure it's reading properly because it was showing 10 degrees when I first put the FV in and turned it back on. That's pretty warm for being in a fridge nearly 48 hours. 7 degrees sounds more like it (it did sit out for about half an hour while I prepared the FV).

Took a grav sample of my Asian lager this morning. 1.009. I’m guessing that’s where it will stay. Couple more days in the fv before another reading then CC and into the keg for some conditioning. Sample is looking nice. Surprised at its clarity given it’s infancy. Tastes pretty good too. Hopefully I can be patient enough To give it the couple of weeks it will need cold stored.

B6F5569E-359C-4BC3-B171-16734FBAC5B4.thumb.jpeg.8b21f73d76e8c8902c95a57e9dee426a.jpeg

also dry hopped my kveik pale ale this morning. Ferment was noticeably slower so I may as well throw in some hoppy boys.

• Like 9

Getting crazy attenuation from the Nottingham slurry I used in the AG EB I pitched on Friday. It raced to 1010 yesterday morning and thought it was done, as that was the predicted. Now down to 1007 which is 82.75%.  Was suppose to come in just over 3.9% but is now 4.4% so much for making lighter ABV beer.  Bugger.  I suppose on the bright side i must have done a lot right with the mash. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Getting crazy attenuation from the Nottingham slurry I used in the AG EB I pitched on Friday. It raced to 1010 yesterday morning and thought it was done, as that was the predicted. Now down to 1007 which is 82.75%.  Was suppose to come in just over 3.9% but is now 4.4% so much for making lighter ABV beer.  Bugger.  I suppose on the bright side i must have done a lot right with the mash. 

What temp did you mash at mate? That timeframe isnt unheard of with notty but you may have slightly overpitched using the slurry. Its a guess how many cells are in there.

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

What temp did you mash at mate? That timeframe isnt unheard of with notty but you may have slightly overpitched using the slurry. Its a guess how many cells are in there.

Strike water was 710 and the mash was @670 to no lower 63.50. Yep the slurry was probably an over pitch which happens and not overly concerned about it as I wanted it quite clean. More interested in the 1007.  it has been  a long time since I had a beer below 1010. 

I know that I am going to have to make  starters soon so I get more control over what I pitch.  Most of my slurries are 4th gen or more nayway so time to start fresh with the ale yeasts.   

9 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Strike water was 710 and the mash was @670 to no lower 63.50. Yep the slurry was probably an over pitch which happens and not overly concerned about it as I wanted it quite clean. More interested in the 1007.  it has been  a long time since I had a beer below 1010. 

I know that I am going to have to make  starters soon so I get more control over what I pitch.  Most of my slurries are 4th gen or more nayway so time to start fresh with the ale yeasts.   

Yeah the drift to 63.5 would probably have opened up more sugars to Mr Notty than normal. But will still be a nice beer. 

Yeah i used to use slurry a lot with my ales but i found the repeatability isnt there. You can get away with it with cleaner type beers and yeasts such as notty or US05. Yeast driven beers though you will get a different result every time if you use slurry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeast driven beers though you will get a different result every time if you use slurry.

Yep that is my thinking. Notts and US05 are very neutral yeasts and slurrys I have on hand all the time. So when I go to more  flavoursome ester driven yeasts I will make starters and put some of that in the bank. 

5 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah the drift to 63.5 would probably have opened up more sugars to Mr Notty than normal. But will still be a nice beer. 

Yeah i used to use slurry a lot with my ales but i found the repeatability isnt there. You can get away with it with cleaner type beers and yeasts such as notty or US05. Yeast driven beers though you will get a different result every time if you use slurry.

Yeah that would be the reason for the crazy attenuation. I had  a batch go to 1.006, I thought my hydrometer was broken and marked it at 1.008, then checked the hydrometer against room temp water and it was spot on, so yeah it had to be because I mashed at 65c throughout or some other magical means I haven't read about yet.  The brew came out crisp but with a slight tinge of alcohol at the end of the drink, but very nice. It was very slight as I was splitting hairs and trying to find faults with the brew.

Looking forward to the outcome Marty. Notty is like amarillo or centennial, a classic that delivers.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

This batch overshot the OG; for some reason I got a higher mash efficiency than normal so the OG ended up at 1.058 instead of the target 1.051 or so. 

I may be a little strange... but I would say that result is a beautiful thing!  ; )

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I may be a little strange... but I would say that result is a beautiful thing!  ; )

In general yeah, extraction efficiency being up is good, but when you're targeting a specific figure in order to have the beer balanced, it's not that great overshooting by too far. 7 points isn't ridiculous but it will probably make a difference compared to the ones that were more around the target OG. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

In general yeah, extraction efficiency being up is good, but when you're targeting a specific figure in order to have the beer balanced, it's not that great overshooting by too far. 7 points isn't ridiculous but it will probably make a difference compared to the ones that were more around the target OG. 

Luvyerwork Kelsey!

Honestly... it is nice to be surrounded by perfectionists because that is the best place to learn good brewing skills!  More power to yer!

I am just a spring-chook when it comes to brewing AG and am enjoying getting great results that may not reflect what I initially was chasing.  But I am learning heaps by whatever result I get.

When you get to the stage of what you good brewers are doing - replication - consistency - for sure - you will be aiming to hit targets and then I understand > OG is not what you want.

But I certainly would suggest that > OG is better than < OG... well in my world it certainly is ; )

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

But I certainly would suggest that > OG is better than < OG... well in my world it certainly is ; )

I was very happy that I hit my target OG. Obviously the drift in mash temp gave me more fementable sugars in the OG. That was with 93% Maris Otter. Be interesting to see how I  go with 97% Pilsner and Urquell 2001 at 12.  I will be using the same mash regime. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Started the cold crash for my Coopers XPA.  SG was 1.016 for the second day after 10 days.  Down from 1.056.  Dry hop was fished out yesterday.  Smells might nice and sample tastes alright too. 

Isinglass dose tomorrow then polyclar on Wednesday.

Brewing my first XPA at the moment. Really excited about it, smells fantastic. Just dryhopped. Looking forward to the sampling. 🙂

However, also decided to go sober for the rest of the month (health reasons), so going to be an eager wait to drink it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Was suppose to come in just over 3.9% but is now 4.4% so much for making lighter ABV beer. 

Hi Marty

It might be sacrilegious, but could you just add some distilled/sterile water before carbonating to bring your ABV down?  Might effect other numbers a little, but would be better on the guts.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean