Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey BB. Yeah my 2nd to last budvar finished at 1000 when it is usually 1008ish. As Captain i think pointed out usually a diastaticus infection would show in the bottle not at ferment time as it is slower working. My batch was kegged and tasted the same as my normal bubvar bar being very dry. Still got not idea what happened with that batch as the next one from the same yeast finished at the normal 1008. 

Cheers Greeny is truly bizarre.   I thought that Saison yeasts were quite quick in their work?

Think though the take-home-message for me is to run my Saison project in my SS vessel rather than the Coopers Plazzi just from a 'safety first' perspective.... 

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Greeny is truly bizarre.   I thought that Saison yeasts were quite quick in their work?

Think though the take-home-message for me is to run my Saison project in my SS vessel rather than the Coopers Plazzi just from a 'safety first' perspective.... 

Yeah they will work quick in there own ferment but a diastatic infection from remnants of the yeast in another ferment would likely only show once bottled as it will be very slow with only a few yeast cells working. I have never had a diastatic batch but i have had random bottles overcarbonate from time to time. Not often though.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Second crack at the soap dodger ESB in the fermenter today. Pitched at 21 degrees, full 25 litres. OG 1.048. Hoping this one will reach a lower FG and be a little drier. The last one was a bit thick and not particularly easy drinking. 

Kelsey if you brew 25L and the Kegs are 19L what do you do with the remaining 6L ?

Ok might lose a few down the bottom of the fermenter... but surely not 6L?

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Second crack at the soap dodger ESB in the fermenter today. Pitched at 21 degrees, full 25 litres. OG 1.048. Hoping this one will reach a lower FG and be a little drier. The last one was a bit thick and not particularly easy drinking. 

Soap dodger ESB should be re-named Tony Greig Brew, Otto 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Cog Work IPA, or a slight variation of

1.7kg Bootmaker Pale Ale
1.25kg Mangrove Jacks Amber Malt (saving 250g of the soft pac for another brew)
0.5kg Light Dry Malt
107g Caramalt cold steep
103g Crystal Malt cold steep
13.5g Simcoe 15min boil
17g Simcoe 15min steep
25g Citra Day 4 Dry hops
25g Centennial Day 4 Dry hops
11.5g Safale US-05 Dry yeast
Aust Pale Ale yeast (my Bootmaker can was out of date, so binned its yeast and pitched a spare I had)

I do not have any Citra or Centennial so might try something else.  I have plenty of Vic Secret, Topaz and some Mosaic, Ella, and Hallertau.

PS Bottled my Coopers XPA yesterday.  Looking forward to trying that one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Soap dodger ESB should be re-named Tony Greig Brew, Otto 🤣🤣

That'd only be a part time soap dodger. 😂

Meanwhile the sample from the lager is already fermented out a day after I took it. Looks to have finished about 1.010. I'll check it properly in a couple more days. 

59 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I brewed on Friday and today I remembered that I never took a gravity reading before I pitched the yeast. What an idiot......

Uh oh BB1 - wrong page!?!   Should be on the epic fail thread?! 😋

Suspect you can estimate and am sure the beer will taste just fine!

Cheers mate

BB2

• Haha 1

Once again, and by some strange coincidence the brew currently in my fermenter is the exact same brew that I just posted in the Brew Day thread!  Spooky!  😂

Over shot my target OG this time by... 12 points!  😯

Old Peculier-ish (20 Litre 75/25 (grain / extract & molasses ) partial mash batch inspired by Theakstons "Old Peculier")

• 2.4kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Med. Crystal
  • 100g GF Shepherds Delight
  • 600g LME
  • 500g Molasses
  • 10g Green Bullet @50min
  • 25g Southern Cross @10min
  • 25g Southern Cross @FO
  • M42 Yeast

| ABV=6.5%!! | IBU=38 | EBC=38 |

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How crazy 😂

My English ale is up and going, has been since yesterday. Sometime around 20-24 hours after pitching yeast which is pretty normal so no problems there. Tomorrow is the usual 3 days in sample testing. 

This one and the lager should end up being kegged within a few days of each other. Not sure the current two kegs will last that long with me still having almost two weeks of holidays left but at least next break I'll probably have built a small stockpile of kegs as I don't drink as much when I'm working for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

a small stockpile of kegs...

How many kegs have you got in rotation?

I probably need to procure a couple more... but need to sort out a refrigeration unit for them first...  cos my brew fridge gets the shittttts when the kegs keep taking over ; )

I have 7 in total although I think one is still at my parents house. One is being used for surplus since the little one is leaking, one is dedicated to soda water, so 5 rotating once I bring that other one over. One will soon be set aside for a porter so that'll make four in rotation, which should be enough anyway, as no doubt one will empty before a batch is ready if there are two others already full and waiting. 

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have 7 in total although I think one is still at my parents house. One is being used for surplus since the little one is leaking, one is dedicated to soda water, so 5 rotating once I bring that other one over. One will soon be set aside for a porter so that'll make four in rotation, which should be enough anyway, as no doubt one will empty before a batch is ready if there are two others already full and waiting. 

Yeah that sounds good.  Will you condition the Porter for a few months for winter?

I’ve got 12 x19L kegs, 2 x 9.5L kegs.

I managed to get hold of a few 2nd handies and just put a new kit, o-rings, new PRV etc through them then pressure tested them, work great.

10 x 19L for various beers, I like to age them for a few months.

2 x 19L for Cider for the wife or a bbq.

1 x 9.5L for soft drink 

1 x 9.5L for Craft Beer 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I managed to get hold of a few 2nd handies and just put a new kit, o-rings, new PRV etc through them then pressure tested them, work great.

1 x 9.5L for soft drink 

1 x 9.5L for Craft Beer 🤣

I have 4 X 19l cornies,  1x 25l and a 13l so 6 all up. Which is probably 2 more than I need as I have a 3 tap kegger.  Right now I have  3 keg son tap, a full FV fridge and a keg in the lagering fridge. Both the FV and the lagering fridge have temp control. The lagering fridge is only here short term as it is for sale.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

1 x 9.5L for soft drink 

1 x 9.5L for Craft Beer 🤣🤣

I think I missed the name of your pub... 😄 

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

You may have either set up the world's highest SG beer (do you need a carving knife? 😄 ) or you misplaced a decimal point. 😄

Ha it was a long day! Yeah 1.052 sounds more like it...

Edited by ozlizard
  • Haha 2

Hi Everyone,

Making a lager this time, and with a couple of firsts for me: first time fermenting in the keg (with my new spunding valve set to at 15 PSI and floating dip tube), and first time using liquid yeast. Made a "Shaken not Stirred" starter with the yeast. Fermenting at ambient, which is a stead 20C. 

Spunded Lager
17L

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
500gm Canadian 2-row base malt
200gm Munich 10L
175gm Carapils 
75gm C15L
300gm dextrose
10mL Clarity Ferm
30gm Willamette 4.2% x 15 minute boil 
8gm Mt Hood 5.5% x 15 minute boil 
20gm Hallertauer 1.9% x 5 minute boil
WLP802 lager yeast
17L RO water

OG 1.047; FG 1.009; ABV 4.9% keg; IBU 34; EBC 8.6; BU:GU 0.73.

I had intended to use all Mt Hood for the 15 minute addition but my LHBS did not have enough; the little they had was probably stale. I had to sub something on the fly and ended up choosing Willamette, as the Hallertauer had such low AA. Anyway, curious how this batch will turn out. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

first time fermenting in the keg (with my new spunding valve set to at 15 PSI and floating dip tube),

Really interested in seeing how this goes. I have been thinking about fermenting under pressure for a couple of months now. Keep us in the loop. I am sure a few of us would be interested in the results. 

• Like 1