Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Just put a brew A IPA in the fermenter. Not a much of a fan of regular IPA's far too bitter. OTOH,  Hazy IPA's are not at all an IPA, but are pretty much identical to XPA's as far as I can tell and are basically a hipster's easy drinker, sweet and fruity. I'm the opposite of a hipster but I love them. Anyways... The buyer picked it up by accident thinking it was a bootmakers.

Brew A

400g toffee malt

currently 1.5kg light DME. 

20g citra boiled for 10m.

Didn't measure OG, threw it in the 40 gal in the carport to cool down overnight. Will add yeast in morning. Flying to australia on tuesday for a funeral, will have to chuck a towel over it and hope for the best. 

Going to put another 500g extract and 20g citra in when I get back. Or maybe some mosiac. Haven't decided yet. What's a better dry hopping hop?

Edited by alilley
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alilley said:

Just put a brew A IPA in the fermenter. Not a much of a fan of regular IPA's far too bitter. OTOH,  Hazy IPA's are not at all an IPA, but are pretty much identical to XPA's as far as I can tell and are basically a hipster's easy drinker, sweet and fruity. I'm the opposite of a hipster but I love them. Anyways... The buyer picked it up by accident thinking it was a bootmakers.

Brew A

400g toffee malt

currently 1.5kg light DME. 

20g citra boiled for 10m.

Didn't measure OG, threw it in the 40 gal in the carport to cool down overnight. Will add yeast in morning. Flying to australia on tuesday for a funeral, will have to chuck a towel over it and hope for the best. 

Going to put another 500g extract and 20g citra in when I get back. Or maybe some mosiac. Haven't decided yet. What's a better dry hopping hop?

Good luck with it mate - flying to Aus from where?

Late hopping with

Citra

Centennial

Mosaic

Galaxy

Cascade

I think are all pretty nice... depends what flavours you are chasing ?  Good luck with it mate. BB

• Like 1

Drinking my spunded lager #1 and it is pretty damn good, just 12 days since I pitched the yeast. Totally clear, crisp, tasty, easy drinking. My wife really likes it, and prefers it to my APAs. I might have to devote one of my kegs to lager, so she will always have some. And I don't mind it at all. It goes well with pizza!

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Drinking my spunded lager #1 and it is pretty damn good, just 12 days since I pitched the yeast. Totally clear, crisp, tasty, easy drinking.

Wow that sounds so good Christina - in such a short time - I think I might have to try this u-beaut way of doing things out... what yeast did you use remind me please?

Great stuff. 

Cheers

BB

20 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck with it mate - flying to Aus from where?

I think are all pretty nice... depends what flavours you are chasing ?  Good luck with it mate. BB

Flying from New Zealand

Going for tropical. I'm thinking 20g citra and 20g mosaic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Drinking my spunded lager #1 and it is pretty damn good, just 12 days since I pitched the yeast. Totally clear, crisp, tasty, easy drinking. My wife really likes it, and prefers it to my APAs. I might have to devote one of my kegs to lager, so she will always have some. And I don't mind it at all. It goes well with pizza!

Cheers,

Christina.

So your sold on pressure fermentation Christina?

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

So your sold on pressure fermentation Christina?

Hi Greeny,

Yes, I think so....for lagers anyway. I am so surprised about how well it turned out. There has been no exposure to oxygen except for when I added the gelatin, but that would have been minimal, as I boiled the water for five minutes to deaerate it, and purged the headspace four times afterwards. The only "problem" with fermenting in the keg is the batch size (17L).

I was going to transfer the beer to another keg after fermentation, before topping up the carbonation level, but forgot. Given how good the beer is, and the small batch size, I don't think I'll bother. This beer will be gone in no time....Most of the time I don't have an empty keg sitting around anyway. 

@Bearded Burbler My LHBS does not have a large selection of lager yeast. I used WLP802 this time. I will re-use it a couple of times and then try WLP830. 

@Ben 10 I will try to figure out how to post a picture, but I am not promising anything. It is as clear as a commercial brew but has a whisper of orange colour, probably from the C15L I used. Next time I will leave that out. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1

I made the Green Neck Lager recipe this morning. Basically just a Euro Lager extract with BE3 at 15C in the ferment fridge.
It better be a nice drop, I'm not used to waiting 2 weeks to reach final gravity.
I also bottled my first temp controlled brew this morning just before making the GN lager. I cold crashed it for 2 days. The highlight wasn't the fact the beer is clearer, it's how the beer doesn't foam up as much as warm beer does when it's bottled. Less mess. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Picture please

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xr1CHxTnPenEUVXEA

We'll see if this works. There is a yogurt container behind the glass, which I put there so that you can see that you can read the print on the container through the beer.

Cheers,

Christina.

Update: I see the photo doesn't appear to be showing, but will it if you click on the link? It does if I do.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

@ChristinaS1 Is that  the result of the pressure ferment at ambient?  Did you cold crash it? Very impressive clarity.  Are you using a floating dip tube?   would you mind just jotting down dot points of the steps you took from pitching to kegging as I have to have a bash at this.   I have this 25 litre keg which would be perfect for pressure fermentation.  

20200204_064822.jpg

• Like 1

@MartyG1525230263 I am not sure what accounts for the clarity. I am guessing it is probably mostly due to the gelatin and floating dip tube.

This was my process (this time). Note that I was making a lager (things are a little different for ales).

• Day before brewday: Made Shaken not Stirred starter with the yeast (WLP802).
  • Brewday: cleaned and sanitized the keg.
  • Brewed the beer, pitched the yeast, closed the keg and applied the spunding valve. Kept the keg at ambient temperature. I did not apply any pressure at this stage. Apparently for lagers (when using a normal "lager size" starter) you are supposed to use your tank to bring the pressure up to your desired PSI right away. Since I was not aware of this, and because I ran into some technical difficulties, I didn't actually start applying pressure until the next day. But since Shaken Not Stirred starters are on are the small side for lagers, this was probably just as well; it gave the yeast a chance to reproduce up to the required amount without any stress. So I waited 24 hours to apply gas by accident this time, but next time I will probably do it on purpose. 😜 Anyway, I used 10PSI. Apparently 10-12 is the sweet spot for many yeast. 15PSI is the max recommended.*
  • Day 8 - Took a hydrometer reading. If you are into doing two hydrometer readings, you could start on day 5. Since it was at the expected FG I moved the keg to my keg fridge to chill.
  • Day 9 - Added gelatin slurry and began force (burst) carbonating. I boiled the water used to for five minutes to deaerate it, and purged the headspace four times after adding the gelatin to the keg.
  • Day 11 - Pulled first sample to check carbonation. It was slightly cloudy but already tasting great.
  • Day 12 - Crystal clear. 

Good luck with your brew Marty, and let us know how it goes....That is a beautiful keg BTW!

Cheers,

Christina.

* Note that with ales you are supposed to wait with applying pressure. Some folks pre-set the spunding valve to whatever PSI they want and let the pressure build up naturally, others apply it from a tank after waiting 24 hours, others wait until fermentation is almost over....If I were fermenting an ale under pressure I would probably go with option #1, which seems to be what most people do.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Good luck with your brew Marty, and let us know how it goes....That is a beautiful keg BTW!

Thanks for that, will keep you updated will order the spunding valve today so will not arrive till friday at the earliest. Will start the brew when it arrives. Will be doing an ale so will pre-set the spunding valve to 12 and let the pressure build naturally.   I think what i will do is give it a hit with CO2 to seal the kegs then back the pressure off to a couple of PSI then re-set the valvue to 12PSI. Gte i hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

20C. Furnace season here....My understanding is that higher ambient temps are also okay. Pressure has a similar effect on the yeast as cold temperature.

Wait... 20°C is furnace season? As in central heating type weather? 😄 Cup of cement time I reckon...

• Haha 1

Put another Coopers IPA can down with 1.5kg brigalow extra malt instead of 1kg of it, filled to 23l (my last was supposed to be 21l but after a navagational error 23l was in) it was a hop slam AU, with not so many hops in it, tasted great as was so giving it another go, 12gr of Cascade & Mosaic will be dry hopped about day 4 (25gr was called for---only half made it in,this was the intentional bit, the water was not)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1