Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

My rice lager is down to 1.020 after 6 days. I’ll give it another couple of days and then start raising the temperature for the d-rest. 

I am using my backup hydrometer after the sad loss of my primary one. I had that from the start and always found it amusing when people broke theirs. I was sure it would never happen to me.........

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ordered my spunding valve and floating dip tube today. Should be here next week so hopefully brewday will be Friday and I will do a Hoppy American Pale Ale.  I will ferment under pressure in my 25 litre keg which, if all is successful, will turn it into my new SS fermenter.  Surely I cant go to much further into the rabbit hole I have gone from K&K and PET bottles through all the phases and now keg, brew AG and now pressure ferment. Is there anything else?   I know maybe starting a HBS don't laugh been thinking of it. A real good one is need here on the Sunny Coast. 

• Like 2

Yesterday was my sixth and most successful and first issue free all grain brew-day.

Simple half batch SMaSH - Vienna Lager

• 3kg Vienna Malt - 60 minute mash @ 65°C and 10 minute mash out @ 75°C
  • 33g Hallertauer hops - 60 minute boil
  • 1 teaspoon Irish Moss - 10 minute boil

I am still working out my numbers in the Grainfather app.  I was aiming for a 12L batch.  Set Mash Efficiency at 73%, as LHBS manager suggested.  Aiming for OG 1.042, FG 1.007 (MJ Bavarian Lager yeast that is supposed to attenuate better than most), ABV 4.6%.

Over-shot everything by a little bit.  Volume into fermenter was 13L.  OG was 1.0515.  Predicting FG 1.009.  ABV 5.7%.  Having the issue free brew-day allowed me to focus on why the numbers were not adding up, rather than getting distracted by the things that went wrong. 

Working backwards using a brewing calculator, Mash Efficiency should be around 88%.  Putting the same recipe into the Grainfather app, but setting Mash Efficiency to 85% and tweaking a couple of other variables, gives me an answer much closer to what the actual measurements were.

The skewed efficiency and the other volume adjustments explains why my earlier all grain brews gave me less volume and much higher OG.

Into fermenter @ 23°C, water temp out of hose was 22°C.  Fermentation freezer set to 12°C and the brew had reached that equilibrium by midnight.

• Like 6

SMaSH - Vienna Lager

WTF is in my fermenter.  This was around 10am today (Sunday).  Has been in the fermenter since around 4pm yesterday, so about 18 hours.

I did sprinkle the MJ Bavarian Lager yeast and then stirred it in because the surface was covered in foam.

They look like stalactites "hanging" from the surface of my brew.

IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.6b2d990016b716e9823754f7fb2b60bf.JPG

IMG_1667.thumb.JPG.0cc3ddbb64b93293d16eb55cada34fea.JPG

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

So I decided to brew a small batch fruit IPA based on the the coopers craft pineapple IPA recipe. Instead of using the craft tin I did a stove top boil for 60 mins with the following:

10L

1.5kg Briess Golden Light LME

500g DME

15g of Citra for 60m, 15g of both Citra and Vic Secret for 10mins and 20g Citra and 35g of Vic Secret dry hop. 

The recipe calls for 1L of pineapple juice so I asked my partner to pick some up from the shops. Rather than check the volume of the pineapple juice container I just confirmed it was no no added preservatives etc then proceeded to pour the entire contents into the fermenter. Took a sample and was a little confused that it was 1.070 and decided I must have the volume wrong in the recipe calc. Pitched 2 packs of rehydrated coopers gold yeast and had a healthy krausen within 5 hours.

Later that day my partner asked where the rest of the pineapple juice was, so I noted it was all in the brew. Turns out I used 2L not one, the recipe has only 1L. After 5 days its down to 1.020 so the yeast has done a good job thus far. Looks likes its going to be > 8%.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Just some hot break mate. The yeast will get into that no worries 

Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking hot break, but I have never seen it before.  Otherwise I was thinking yeast clumping related.

I did notice a fair bit of cloudiness in the wort when filling the fermenter.  I had used Irish Moss at the end of the boil.  I thought it should help to clump hot break at the bottom of the brew kettle.  Maybe the Irish Moss has caused the hot break to clump in the fermenter as it has cooled.

I might have also sucked a bit much out at the bottom of the kettle.  I just leave the pump running until it stops sucking wort.  Leaves about 1L in the bottom.  I do not have the nice cone of trub sitting at the bottom.  More just evenly spread across the bottom.  Should I leave more wort in the kettle so I get less hot break in the fermenter?

At least I was happy to see that the wort in the fermenter has cleared up pretty well other than the clumps.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I was thinking hot break, but I have never seen it before.

Hey Shamus.  Agree that view of the stalactites was concerning.

My initial thoughts were either some wild yeast infection OR as @PaddyBrew2 Paddy points out - hot break... as Paddy on an earlier AG brew had some hot break in the FV from memory... some time ago ; )

How long did you allow for hot break to settle?  Guess if you then do inadvertently pump it out into the FV it will be there whatever time you have left it...

I don't have one of those fancy festive machines but rather just got a big fat SS pot... and I do 'desert-no-chill' and fan cool shut-tightly overnight... heaps of time for drop-out of trub.

Then decant into FV with quite a few Litres left behind on bottom...   different process to some extent... so probably am not well qualified to comment.

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

How long did you allow for hot break to settle?

I did not time it.  I guess about 20- 30 minutes.  I did a short paddle powered whirlpool, moved my Grainfather on its dolly to a better spot for chilling, tried to whirlpool with my new whirlpool arm (but it was no good because its outlet was above my small batch volume), then connected the counter-flow chiller to run hot wort through it to sanitise it.  All of these steps would have disturbed the hot break, assuming it had even coagulated.  Temperature had dropped to around 80 by the time I started chilling properly. Probably 30 minutes to get to 23 degrees.

There is something to be said for the simpler approach.  I had less issues with some of the stove top all grain brews I have done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My rice lager is down to 1.012 and looks to be done. I was hoping it would get a bit lower considering software said it would get down to 1.008. I’ve never had a beer get below 1.010 so I guess this is it........

What do you mash at? I do 65c for most brews if I want crisp brews and 68c for more body.  You would of thought the rice lager might get to 1.008 or something. 

5 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My rice lager is down to 1.012 and looks to be done. I was hoping it would get a bit lower considering software said it would get down to 1.008. I’ve never had a beer get below 1.010 so I guess this is it........

Could have something to do with calibration. Maybe you think it’s 65c when really it’s 67........ that’ll add a couple of points in the end

• Like 1

Both are empty now, as I kegged the lager and ESB today. Forgot to take an FG reading on the ESB so I dunno what it finished at but I'd guess about 1.010 so I'll just run with that. 

Next in is the porter on Saturday, then the Magnum pale ale whenever the yeast starter is ready, so probably some time next week. 

Then I better get some more pale malt to do more brewing. 

• Like 1

I emptied my first keg the other day so filled the FVs today.

In the first is a small batch of Zombie Dust.

In the big fermenter I've got a 21L batch of Viper XPA.  A recipe from Beerco that uses Crisp Europlils which I have not used before. It's late hopped with El-Dorado and Ekuanot - a hop combo I have not used before either.

I'm looking forward to having two kegs on the go in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 4