Coopers Community

Number of brews in 2019

Hilltop hops

6 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Since I switched to kegs in August I am not brewing as often, which is somewhat unexpected. I guess it is because I am can pour myself smaller servings, instead of having to drink a whole bottle.

I picked up a 6 ounce (177.5mL) sampling glass at a beer festival, which I have been using. I would have to visit the keg three times to get as much as one of my Grolsch bottles holds. I usually can't be bothered to go back a third time, so I am drinking about 20% less. 

Hi Christina

This is great self control. I found when I went to kegs that consumption increased, due to the ease of the pour and the lack of empties to help keep track. My solution was to decrease the Alcohol content, 4.2% became my ceiling and I brewed lots of ESB and Session Ales at 3.5 - 3.8%.

After 12 months of empty kegs I will need to get some of your willpower and show your level of constraint.

Cheers 

Scottie

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I picked up a 6 ounce (177.5mL) sampling glass at a beer festival, which I have been using. I would have to visit the keg three times to get as much as one of my Grolsch bottles holds. I usually can't be bothered to go back a third time, so I am drinking about 20% less. 

I have done the same.  I have to reduce my alcohol consumption. So my compromise was drink smaller glasses.  So I have a 7oz glass  (190ml) and a 500ml jug I fill the jug and  drink from the 7. It has reduce my drinking by about 1/2.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ozlizard said:

NEIPA #1-Bloody beautiful

I think my procedures are ok but might have to pay more attention to bottle cleaning and sanitising. Can't really think what else it would be.

Clearly I'm going to have to try an NEIPA - I do like IPA's and people talk this up.

I did some reading before I began and got paranoid about the sanitizing side. I do door handles (cupboard, fridge and into the room) complete inside of fridge, inside the cupboard where the bottles are kept waiting, bench tops... anything that might touch anything that touches my brew.  😄 

I use one of these - makes it dead easy to turn it to a fine mist and spray surfaces. Cost under $5 at Woollies - just pump up the pressure and does large surfaces or inside bottles... anything.

Sanitiser.jpg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

My solution was to decrease the Alcohol content, 4.2% became my ceiling and I brewed lots of ESB and Session Ales at 3.5 - 3.8%.

My solution is to make the beer stronger. 😄 I drink less if I get a buzz after 1 beer. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

A pitiful 14 brews was all I managed in 2019. 

A far cry from the 40-45 brews I was averaging per year 3 or so years ago.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I presume you are drinking less too. If so, your liver is thanking you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

.....I've been consuming more salads.......

76111771-b7e8-44ce-a717-ccf6d65b6f28.jpg

Not only is beer made with hops but is also made from grain, and yeast, with sugars and CO2 in the mix.  Bread is also made from grain and yeast with sugar and CO2 in the mix. Some bread also contains herbs.  Therefore beer must be bread...    and I've been eating lots of bread.    

🍞

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I did about 24 brews from my notes and apps and such. 2 fwk, a few different ciders, a couple ginger beer kits from my LHBS, 12 kits/partials and 6 AG. I got a cool brew journal for Chrissie so I am keen to fill that up.

From my notes and poor memory, it seems like I had a fair few tasty brews in 2019 and 3 pretty bad ones, notes were pretty clear on the bad ones, "this tastes like shite," was one comment.

The output was good, so I will probably keep it at that level for 2020 and because I would probably brew even if I wasn't drinking...ok maybe not, but I like doing it.

Good brewing in 2020

Norris

20200102_180920.jpg

20200102_180944.jpg

20200102_181024.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I did about 24 brews from my notes and apps and such. 2 fwk, a few different ciders, a couple ginger beer kits from my LHBS, 12 kits/partials and 6 AG. I got a cool brew journal for Chrissie so I am keen to fill that up.

From my notes and poor memory, it seems like I had a fair few tasty brews in 2019 and 3 pretty bad ones, notes were pretty clear on the bad ones, "this tastes like shite," was one comment.

The output was good, so I will probably keep it at that level for 2020 and because I would probably brew even if I wasn't drinking...ok maybe not, but I like doing it.

Good brewing in 2020

Norris

20200102_180920.jpg

20200102_180944.jpg

20200102_181024.jpg

Ya gotta tell me where ya got this!!!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ya gotta tell me where ya got this!!!!

My wife ordered this from a place called Kegscode.com, try this link. It is cheap but the shipping gets you and the personification, she says...how much was this thing all up to get here? She won't tell but said it was over a bill, $100+.

I will say that I was blown away when I saw it, I had been using a notebook for the last 2+ years, $1 from the store, I just needed paper, but this is pretty awesome. It fills the gap perfectly.

https://kegscode.com/product-category/journals/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

My wife ordered this from a place called Kegscode.com, try this link. It is cheap but the shipping gets you and the personification, she says...how much was this thing all up to get here? She won't tell but said it was over a bill, $100+.

She really loves you Norris! 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 ,  Czech Pils , Cervesa , Dead Pony Club,  Sierra Pale Ale , Irish Dry Stout , Harvest pale Ale , Zombie Dust, Red Rattler , Scottish Export Ale , Coops Lager Partial ,Sierra Nevada, Citra Blonde Ale , Little Creatures Clone , Irish Red Ale , Mexican Cervesa , Stout, Red Rattler Ale.

12 all grain ,  5 malt extract kits.

Bit scary when ya do the math 32lts a month , but it all not me , two billy lids helping out at times 😀

• Like 4

On 1/2/2020 at 5:08 PM, BlackSands said:

Not only is beer made with hops but is also made from grain, and yeast, with sugars and CO2 in the mix.  Bread is also made from grain and yeast with sugar and CO2 in the mix. Some bread also contains herbs.  Therefore beer must be bread...    and I've been eating lots of bread.   

Well Beer in Germany is classed as "Nahrungsmittel" so is sold in normal shops... because for many years it has been a part of everyday intake of nutrition...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1