Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

12 minutes ago, drewbert said:

all i can imagine is a dog bringing its bowl under the FV tap, and the dog chewing the tap till it starts pouring out. 

Puppers not realising it needs to ferment before getting his/her drink on...

Haha nah, the buggers pulled at/chewed the temp probe wire for the temp controller and ripped the sensor off the end of it. I got some replacement probe wires that are half a metre long, too short on their own but the original wire was still mostly ok so just cut it off where the chew mark was and connected the new to the old and now it's longer than it was. 

Well the pilsner is pitched and in the fridge now. Took a while for the controller to stabilise but it settled around 9 degrees which is perfect. It will obviously warm up over the next several hours and sit between 12 and 12.3 for the first 5-6 days. I'll take an SG sample on Monday. 

Taping the probe to the FV prior to filling worked well also. I might just do that every batch now because it's a lot easier to firmly push the foam onto it and tape it down when it's lying on the concrete than it is when it's standing up right in front of the fridge light. 

This batch probably won't get the longer lagering I like to do with these but should still turn out a nice brew.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 2

Hey Brew Legends!

Made my first Brew in over 6 months yesterday, back to kits and bits but it was good to have the house smelling of boiling hops and malt again!

Citra Mosaic Amarillo IPA

Brewed 14/6/19 11am
24 litres 
OG 1.060
Predicted FG 1.011
Nottingham starter 1.3L
IBU 49

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
600g LDME
250g Wheat DME
200g White Sugar 
300g Caramunich II cold steeped overnight in 2.5L of water in fridge

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Mosaic 30g 10min
Citra 25g 5min
Mosaic 25g 5min
Amarillo 25g 5min

Will Dry hop day 5
Citra 35g
Mosaic 35g
Amarillo 30g

Cheers

James

CFF6924D-91D4-4CCC-9D5A-74E617A6FD65.jpeg

• Like 12

Checked the SG of the pilsner yesterday and it was hovering around the 1.030 mark so I gave it another day and bumped up the controller to 18 about an hour ago. I'll give it a couple of days and if it struggles to get up there I'll employ the boiling water in the flask, particularly overnight, until it's time to lager it. 

It smelled quite good in the sample tube even though the fridge smells a bit like rotten eggs at the moment 😂

27 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It smelled quite good in the sample tube even though the fridge smells a bit like rotten eggs at the moment 😂

I wasn't prepared for this with my last pils. My first one didn't smell at all. The one the other week stunk like a zombie's fart . Thankfully, it cleared up by bottling time.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

The one the other week stunk like a zombie's fart .

1. Where did you find a zombie??

2. Do you know where zombies live?? 

2. Did you actually wait for a zombie to fart and bend down behind and sniff or did the zombie fart and cupcake you by surprise??

BB1 😂

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...It smelled quite good in the sample tube even though the fridge smells a bit like rotten eggs at the moment 😂

🤣

Your house would reek of rotten eggs with all the lagers you do, no wonder you brew & ferment outside. 😜

I just remembered this fella that I think posted on the forum sometime back who lived in a small apartment in the USA with his partner. He fermented some lager beer under their bed due to the sheer lack of room & just stank the whole bedroom out. His missus was not the least bit amused from memory. 🤣

Funny as I thought.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 4

So put the porter in the FV yesterday and checked it at 4 this morning before flying out to work. 

She was starting to bubble away so I’m pretty happy with that. 

Hopefully she’ll be finished by the time I get home. Just means I’ll have to do a fair bit of drinking before that gets in the keg.

• Like 3

I too have a porter in the FV - 8.5ltr British Bulldog recipe - first time using Nottingham yeast, and first time rehydrating - seemed to go ok and fermentation activity began a bit faster than usual so very happy with that.

Also have a Dark Ale + Lager Toucan bubbling away in the large fermenter.

I better start cleaning some bottles... 😀

• Like 3

Got my second beer going with a stout. Better late than never. It's a dry run for prep for next year

• 1 can Cooper's stout
  • 1kg brew enhancer 3
  • 500g malt sugar
  • 10g kit yeast

1046 OG... (adjusted for shitty hydrometer)

Wort is as black as the ace of spades 

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬

image.jpg

• Like 5

Fermenter is empty atm, trying to decide which of 2 beers to brew next.

I've got ingredients on hand and different yeast slurries in the fridge for both my all-grain Aramis pils and a kit-based Simcoe Black DIPL.

Have to do them one after the other so it's a tough choice. Going to be a busy few weeks ahead so maybe I'll freeze up the 4l ice brick that will help get the kit beer to pitching temp.

Cheers, 

John 

8 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Fermenter is empty atm, trying to decide which of 2 beers to brew next.

I've got ingredients on hand and different yeast slurries in the fridge for both my all-grain Aramis pils and a kit-based Simcoe Black DIPL.

Have to do them one after the other so it's a tough choice. Going to be a busy few weeks ahead so maybe I'll freeze up the 4l ice brick that will help get the kit beer to pitching temp.

Cheers, 

John 

I'd do the Simcoe DIPL first. You'll probably enjoy a few of them before the Winter is out more so than a more original lager I reckon.

Sorry,... I just realised it's always cold in Canberra. Forget what I said, it doesn't matter. 😜

😁

Seriously, I know it's a tough choice for you John. The Aramis Pilsner will take longer to come to a better drinking point than the Simcoe DIPL (I would think) given I'm guessing you would like to enjoy the hopping aspects earlier in conditioning when they are more pronounced.

Just my 5 cents,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

Just put this baby down:

Brown Sugar Bitter with Toasted Malt

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1.0kg Maris Otter 30.9%
200gm home toasted base malt 6.2%
350gm Demerara sugar 10.8%
125gm C75L 3.9%
60gm TF Pale Chocolate 1.9%
30gm Willamette 3.5% AA boiled x 30 min
15gm Willamette boiled x 10 min
20gm Willamette at FO + hop stand x 20 minutes
20gm Willamette dry hop x 4-5 days
23L reverse osmosis water
10mL Clarity Ferm
10gm MJ's Liberty Bell yeast, dry pitched

OG 1.041 FG 1.009  ABV 4.17% IBU 28 BU:GU 0.73 EBC 24

Decided to use Demerara sugar this time around, instead of making Inverted Sugar No. 2 syrup. Looking forward to tasting this one.

Note: this recipe cross posted to  The English Bitter Thread.

Cheers,

Christina. 
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'd do the Simcoe DIPL first.

I think I'm with you Lusty. There's months of cold weather brewing ahead here, so I'll do the big, hoppy one for a drink now beer. The Aramis pils would be best brewed a bit later if only because it's such good springtime drinking. 

Cheers, 

John 

Small batch cider looking very close to done. 

Treated myself to a temp controller today. And my stout is foamy and smelling like it was a gift from the heavens. 

Has been a good day for my fermenters. Not feeling great about the big cider I had bottled a bit back that had issues with some mould. Looking clearer but can see some very dark sedement that mm concerned is infected/DOA.  Note second pic of cider was after inversion

42AFB2B0-5D5E-410B-8085-B6D1BC8E8F7C.jpeg

70883157-C9A7-488C-B659-B83857F4FE8A.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to make the SMOTY ale recipe with my first ever foray into adding hops to K&K brews. The reason being is I had a few Coopers APA tins on hand but I wasn't overjoyed with my previous APA results and I didn't want to make another average beer. I know harvesting the Coopers commercial yeast should improve that but I don't want to work that hard to get a better result. I do like the commercial APA but not mine.
The SMOTY ale recipe is a Toucan and calls for a Dark Ale tin as well. I've been really pleased with my Dark Ales and then thought I'm not sure if I want to potentially waste one on an experiment with an APA tin if it doesn't turn out well. So I've canned the SMOTY ale idea (pun intended) and put down a 23 litre APA with kit yeast, 500g dex, 500g BE2 and a hop tea I boiled for 30 minutes in water of 25g EKG hops. (EKG hops is all I had because the SMOTY recipe called for it.)
OG was 1034. I have no idea how it will turn out but I'm not disappointed with the 1034 because I figured it would be something I'll drink in the warmer months.
Wish me luck. 🙂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I was going to make the SMOTY ale recipe with my first ever foray into adding hops to K&K brews. The reason being is I had a few Coopers APA tins on hand but I wasn't overjoyed with my previous APA results and I didn't want to make another average beer. I know harvesting the Coopers commercial yeast should improve that but I don't want to work that hard to get a better result. I do like the commercial APA but not mine.
The SMOTY ale recipe is a Toucan and calls for a Dark Ale tin as well. I've been really pleased with my Dark Ales and then thought I'm not sure if I want to potentially waste one on an experiment with an APA tin if it doesn't turn out well. So I've canned the SMOTY ale idea (pun intended) and put down a 23 litre APA with kit yeast, 500g dex, 500g BE2 and a hop tea I boiled for 30 minutes in water of 25g EKG hops. (EKG hops is all I had because the SMOTY recipe called for it.)
OG was 1034. I have no idea how it will turn out but I'm not disappointed with the 1034 because I figured it would be something I'll drink in the warmer months.
Wish me luck. 🙂

OG would be 1.038 or so with those ingredients. It's a kit and kilo of added fermentables. I don't think a 30 minute boil was necessary though, 10-15 minutes would have been better for hop flavour. Hopefully it doesn't make it too bitter. 

I wouldn't write off the SMOTY ale. It was one of my early brews and it turned out really well. Definitely recommend it. 

• Like 1

I've put down the Yorkshire Square . Only change form the Coopers recipe is I used Nottingham instead of US04. Had solid results from this when I used without temp control so happy my HBS has it back in stock.

What is the ideal temp for this? Coopers say 21C for US, but Notts works at pretty low temps. It's currently on 21 and going off...

• Like 1

Geez you guys make me tempted to get a temp controller and use the fridge, but I'm not there yet, heck I have only just started adding stuff to my coopers tins and trying different yeasts, but I did a couple of weeks ago use hops for the first time.

This time round I have used the blushing blonde recipe but instead of the berries I added mango chunks.

And in my other I have done a lemon zest weizen.

This is my brewery.  ...lol

15612546475147226808311661256015.jpg

• Like 2