but this beer   is sensational

i am spewing i didnt buy a carton of this

juicy and   clear considering  its an ipa 

Aroma  brilliant 
flavour brilliant 
bitterness brilliant

Feral never fails to dissapoint

20210424_180454.jpg

Go down & buy some more !! 🤣  I agree it is good beer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Now I am wondering which part of your comments you meant    Go down & buy some more !!  or  I agree it is good beer.  🤔

Sorry mate    getting more lol  and might as well be a good beer as well lol

big day on the grog at golf and at home

Boatrocker La Fleur.

Picked this up after a few beers at Bogurks in Aspendale. It was on a whim and I'm glad I did. 

$23 or so for the bottle...worth every cent.

Sour, tart, great floral aroma from it and then the "Saison" funk. Not over powering, but you know it's there...what a great beer!

PXL_20210424_100706985.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ozdevil said:

juicy and   clear considering  its an ipa 

Are IPAs supposed to be cloudy @ozdevil?  The one above looks a bit like my current IPA... and I have had the Capital Brewing Rockhopper nice IPA but I don't think it is that cloudy either?

@Pale Man Paleo mate - is it a guideline thing BJCP or just your experience?  I guess Coopers Pale is cloudy too.... ah well... all good to learn these things... 

I did not do any late hopping - so maybe that also would help in a cloudy finish... 

Edited by Graubart

47 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Are IPAs supposed to be cloudy @ozdevil?  The one above looks a bit like my current IPA... and I have had the Capital Brewing Rockhopper nice IPA but I don't think it is that cloudy either?

@Pale Man Paleo mate - is it a guideline thing BJCP or just your experience?  I guess Coopers Pale is cloudy too.... ah well... all good to learn these things... 

I did not do any late hopping - so maybe that also would help in a cloudy finish... 

this article may shed some light on IPA'S

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/10741/hazed-and-confused-seeking-clarity-in-ipas/#:~:text=language%2C stating that American IPAs,“Hazy IPA is OK.

Also

I took this from the bjcp guidlines of 2015  page 37

"The IPA category is for modern American IPAs and their derivatives. This does not imply that English IPAs aren’t proper IPAs or that there isn’t a relationship between them. This is simply a method of grouping similar styles for competition purposes. English IPAs are grouped with other English-derived beers, and the stronger Double IPA is grouped with stronger American beers. The term “IPA” is intentionally not spelled out as “India Pale Ale” since none of these beers historically went to India, and many aren’t pale. However, the term IPA has come to be a balance-defined style in modern craft beer."

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

this article may shed some light on IPA'S

Interesting...  from that article @ozdevil which would indicate certainly for a yankee IPA Clear is OK... I think that the good reasons for clarity here my brew is - time in keg - and no late hopping... 

What’s wrong with unfiltered beer? Nothing, traditionally speaking. Grains like oats and wheat, which brewers have used for hundreds of years, are known for rendering cloudy beer. Just look at Weihenstephaner. Practices like kräusening, or adding yeast to unfinished beer, can contribute cloudiness, too.

But when it’s a hazy American IPA, people start arguing. Even the Beer Judge Certification Program style guidelines have been careful to employ unsettled (dare I say opaque?) language, stating that American IPAs “should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy.”

46 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Interesting...  from that article @ozdevil which would indicate certainly for a yankee IPA Clear is OK... I think that the good reasons for clarity here my brew is - time in keg - and no late hopping... 

What’s wrong with unfiltered beer? Nothing, traditionally speaking. Grains like oats and wheat, which brewers have used for hundreds of years, are known for rendering cloudy beer. Just look at Weihenstephaner. Practices like kräusening, or adding yeast to unfinished beer, can contribute cloudiness, too.

But when it’s a hazy American IPA, people start arguing. Even the Beer Judge Certification Program style guidelines have been careful to employ unsettled (dare I say opaque?) language, stating that American IPAs “should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy.”

you may want to have a good read of the guidlines   from BJCP   in the pdf  file  i attached

2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Edited by ozdevil
  • Thanks 1

Seems like the IPA cloudy vs clear debate is alive and well and can go either way... and I think that late hopping will contribute to hazy... and longer time in keg to clarity... so @Pale Man Paleo and @ozdevil Oz it appears that I have learnt something haha!  Well after avoiding it for some time I have actually read something out of the BJCP haha! Cheers Brewers 😋

12C. English IPA

Overall Impression: A hoppy, moderately-strong, very well- attenuated pale British ale with a dry finish and a hoppy aroma and flavor. Classic British ingredients provide the best flavor profile.

Aroma: A moderate to moderately-high hop aroma of floral, spicy-peppery or citrus-orange in nature is typical. A slightly grassy dry-hop aroma is acceptable, but not required. A moderately-low caramel-like or toasty malt presence is optional. Low to moderate fruitiness is acceptable. Some versions may have a sulfury note, although this character is not mandatory.

Appearance: Color ranges from golden to deep amber, but most are fairly pale. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Moderate-sized, persistent head stand with off-white color.

21A. American IPA

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American or New World hop varieties. The balance is hop- forward, with a clean fermentation profile, dryish finish, and clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through.

Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma featuring one or more characteristics of American or New World hops, such as citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional fresh hop aroma; this is desirable but not required. Grassiness should be minimal, if present. A low to medium-low clean, grainy-malty aroma may be found in the background. Fruitiness from yeast may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. A restrained alcohol note may be present, but this character should be minimal at best. Any American or New World hop character is acceptable; new hop varieties continue to be released and should not constrain this style. Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to light reddish-amber. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry- hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Medium-sized, white to off- white head with good persistence.

33 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Seems like the IPA cloudy vs clear debate is alive and well and can go either way... and I think that late hopping will contribute to hazy... and longer time in keg to clarity... so @Pale Man Paleo and @ozdevil Oz it appears that I have learnt something haha!  Well after avoiding it for some time I have actually read something out of the BJCP haha! Cheers Brewers 😋

12C. English IPA

Overall Impression: A hoppy, moderately-strong, very well- attenuated pale British ale with a dry finish and a hoppy aroma and flavor. Classic British ingredients provide the best flavor profile.

Aroma: A moderate to moderately-high hop aroma of floral, spicy-peppery or citrus-orange in nature is typical. A slightly grassy dry-hop aroma is acceptable, but not required. A moderately-low caramel-like or toasty malt presence is optional. Low to moderate fruitiness is acceptable. Some versions may have a sulfury note, although this character is not mandatory.

Appearance: Color ranges from golden to deep amber, but most are fairly pale. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Moderate-sized, persistent head stand with off-white color.

21A. American IPA

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American or New World hop varieties. The balance is hop- forward, with a clean fermentation profile, dryish finish, and clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through.

Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma featuring one or more characteristics of American or New World hops, such as citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional fresh hop aroma; this is desirable but not required. Grassiness should be minimal, if present. A low to medium-low clean, grainy-malty aroma may be found in the background. Fruitiness from yeast may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. A restrained alcohol note may be present, but this character should be minimal at best. Any American or New World hop character is acceptable; new hop varieties continue to be released and should not constrain this style. Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to light reddish-amber. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry- hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Medium-sized, white to off- white head with good persistence.

I must thankyou as well 

it encouraged me to have a good look at the guidelines over the weekend

to be honest i would only go by the guidelines if i was to start brewing for comps

which i am thining of doing  just to get some great feedback   to where i can  improve on my beers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Trying the new Coopers, very nice. Was expecting a bit more bitterness but thats probably just me. Easy drinking at 6.5%. 

20210501_183812.jpg

@Hilltop hops  this has had mixed reaction, according to some of our members it is sub-par. I am yet to try it, in fact I will tomorrow & then I will know.

Your pour looks pretty decent so if that is any indication, I am OK with it. Cheers.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

@Hilltop hops  this has had mixed reaction, according to some of our members it is sub-par. I am yet to try it, in fact I will tomorrow & then I will know.

Your pour looks pretty decent so if that is any indication, I am OK with it. Cheers.

I enjoyed it, I think people myself included expect every IPA will be the traditional big west coast style IPA. Give it a go. 

Okay I thought I'd try out a commercial beer named Sheperd Neame IPA. I won't try it again as not to my taste, but I was wondering if any others here have tried it and their thoughts on it. To me it is hoppy, bitter and a strong malt taste. I reckon there was a hint of licorice in the background. Cheers.

Sheperd Neame IPA.jpg

Okay I thought I'd try out a commercial beer named Sheperd Neame IPA. I won't try it again as not to my taste, but I was wondering if any others here have tried it and their thoughts on it. To me it is hoppy, bitter and a strong malt taste. I reckon there was a hint of licorice in the background. Cheers.

@Barramullafella  I haven't tried that one but did Boston Lager & one of the Stouts from Dan Murphy's, I wasn't overly impressed, just a dark murky strong taste, must be their water 😧

They claim to be Britain's Oldest Brewery.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Sheperd Neame IPA.jpg

I have tried it a few times. It’s a decent English IPA. 

I like their stout too.

16 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Sheperd Neame IPA.jpg

I tried it a few pages ago and thought it was smashing.  I thought it was done in the proper traditional IPA style.  So, maybe not what you might expect from a "modern" IPA.

• Like 1

well  finally got hold of the Australian iPA by coopers

I feel they have missed the mark on this   and its more with the aftertaste on the beer
with tincy bit of hop burn 

its got a good mouthfeel with a great bitter taste that an ipa should give
its just an average beer  in my book