Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

Swotting for GABS

IMG_20230310_171829290.thumb.jpg.087b6b4525ec77bea48937e9dfaeb803.jpg

Panhead Sandman Hazy IPA. It's ok.

IMG_20230310_175028455.thumb.jpg.8f7094e5d5b28319ed533bf74b603680.jpg

Little Creatures Hazy IPA. Not bad although I preferred their IPA which this replaces (chasing the trend?).

And today's winner is

IMG_20230310_181414613.thumb.jpg.6af32dc082c089f52bea09fa9c83f79c.jpg

And a little reading

IMG_20230310_172018215.thumb.jpg.6e670d4ce42901f86d43f3ee43bfa678.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

While I wait for my Norse Ale to condition and the Summer Sesh Ale to ferment it’s time for some Xpa. It is so orange and  “chunky”. Tried one a while ago and didn’t like it, but now I really enjoy it. Wish they would sell it in a long neck.

E23148DE-71BB-4326-A964-E2A56353B2B1.jpeg

6B70629B-3FD1-41E1-BA38-689899D991A7.png

That is another Coopers favourite of mine, great beer.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

FE9BDC40-CF37-4C67-A0CC-555BD0F77560.jpeg

That description feels kinda cheesy/awkward… doesn’t start a good vibe!

it certainly sounds like too many different hops. If they’re complimentary flavours as I guess they’re supposed to be, could you even distinguish that many different flavours in the one beer?

• Like 2

Went away for a DWE with the HSSH up to Beechworth to celebrate my birthday the weekend before last.  The WE turned into a week away and I did not take near enough home brew travellers so ran out quickly and had to buy beers.  So, being away from my stash I had to become a wandering “craft beer wan***” as they have so many good craft breweries and pub set-ups in the NE of Vic.  They are having a Hop Music Festival at Beechworth on March 25th as per pic of poster.

The HSSH is not a beer drinker but tagged along with me to The Bridge Road Brewery where I noticed she had taken a fancy to the barman pouring an Irish Red Ale, err, that should read, she took a fancy to the Irish Red Ale that the barman was pouring for her.  She actually liked it so much she wants me to brew a copy of it for her, hmm, what the hell is going on?

High Country Hop 2023 - resized.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The Beechy XPA on the tasting paddle brought a smile to my dial, did not know he was so famous in these parts ha ha. @beach_life

The tasting paddle was not the way to go IMO,  the staff recommended we start at #1 and go by the numbers from there.  Number 1 was the sour and it sort of spoilt the taste of all the others as it was still lingering in my mouth.  The last one, #10 was a vanilla ice cream beer I had to spit back into the glass and could not drink it.

Bridge Road Brewery Tasting Paddle - resized.png

Beechy XPA - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

On over to Yackandandah to the Star Hotel where we tried some Two Pot Brewing beers.  The pot glass for the HSSH was their version of a Red Ale and the pint glass for me was supposed to be a mild 3.5 % Amber but I think they mixed up the pour or the taps as this one gave me plenty of ABV glow in the dark warmth so suspect it was a mix up and I was given a 8.5 % IPA instead.

Two Pot Beers in Yackandandah - resized.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Back in Beechworth at the Taswell hotel, tried a couple of Mitta Mitta Brewing MITTA beers.  Pic is their Middabitta mid strength.  Also tried their pale lager (sorry no pic).  Both very nice on a very warm day.

XYZ in Taswells Hotel Beechworth 2 - reisized.png

• Like 5

Then off to Bright to the Bright Brewery to sample some of their beers.  I was driving so could only have a couple.  My HSSH picked out their Lemonade Shandy (on left in pic) and give it the thumbs up.  I did not try it but it smelt like a glass of Solo lemon drink.  I stuck with the pale ale, not shown and their lager (on the right in pic).

Bright Brewery Taps - resized.png

Bright Brewery Lemonade Shandy & a Pale Ale - reiszed.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Went away for a DWE with the HSSH up to Beechworth to celebrate my birthday the weekend before last. 

I have been to all of those places & it is a great area for craft beers. I remember going to a Brewery/Pub in the Main Street in Beechworth, when they were first establishing, I suppose that is the same one you were referring to.

• Like 1

Back in Beechworth for a pub meal I noticed the Nicholas hotel had Kilkenny and Guinness on tap but bugger they had run out of Nitro gas so we had to wait a couple of days for them to get it sorted.  Anyway dropped back in for a couple of pints on our last night there.

Kilkenny at the Nicholas Hotel Beechworth - resized.png

A Guiness at the Nicholas Hotel - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

The tasting paddle was not the way to go IMO,  the staff recommended we start at #1 and go by the numbers from there.  Number 1 was the sour and it sort of spoilt the taste of all the others as it was still lingering in my mouth

I really dont like Tasting Paddles that much, I think 4 pony glasses  of what you you want to taste in your favourite beer styles

red rye ipa is one of my go to  beers i love what rye can do to a ipa , others may have a different of opinion 

i am not a huge sour fan  i think these beers are well over rated  but hey that makes all different but will  keep punishing myself and trying a new sour once in a while but i use this as a good night drink so its usually last on the card

Ialso try flushing my tastebuds with a Pint of water if wanting to try several different beers  to tone down the beer before

but looks like you had a great trip around beechworth

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I really dont like Tasting Paddles that much, I think 4 pony glasses  of what you you want to taste in your favourite beer styles

red rye ipa is one of my go to  beers i love what rye can do to a ipa , others may have a different of opinion 

i am not a huge sour fan  i think these beers are well over rated  but hey that makes all different but will  keep punishing myself and trying a new sour once in a while but i use this as a good night drink so its usually last on the card

Ialso try flushing my tastebuds with a Pint of water if wanting to try several different beers  to tone down the beer before

but looks like you had a great trip around beechworth

I tend to agree OD, I am not a fan of tasting paddles, you don't really get to appreciate the full flavour of each beer, also they are a ridiculous price & the beer goes flat before you can finish them all.

I would rather just choose a few & drink them.

Only my opinion.😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Back in Beechworth for a pub meal I noticed the Nicholas hotel had Kilkenny and Guinness on tap but bugger they had run out of Nitro gas so we had to wait a couple of days for them to get it sorted.  Anyway dropped back in for a couple of pints on our last night there.

Kilkenny at the Nicholas Hotel Beechworth - resized.png

A Guiness at the Nicholas Hotel - resized.png

TBH, I welcome places where they can't pour Kilkenny. It is a feral brew. Kilkenny is supposed to be the "export version" of Smithwick's Red, made for international tastes and called Kilkenny, because people outside of Ireland can't pronounce the name Smithwick's. At least that's what they said at the Smithwick's tour in Kilkenny. Give me trusty old Smitty any day, it is a beautiful drop. The problem is just that it is not available outside of Ireland. I think the real reason for making Kilkenny is that they want to keep the good stuff for themselves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

Did you go to the bakery?

Yes, I think we have been to all of the Beechworth Bakeries as they have one in nearly every major town nowadays but the novelty has worn off.  Much rather a pie from a Banjo's or the Gordonvale or Babinda bakeries when I am in that area.

I have a rule that says it is against the law to drive past a country pub without trying their beers and my HSSH has the same rule about a bakeries.  You would think that she would be the size of a house after all the bakery shops we have visited but she is still slim and not much heavier than when we first married.  Me on the other hand..... at least 20 kg bigger.  Must be the pubs ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2