Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brew Dudes

Nearly 4 months since I put a brew down, so its on.

Tangerine Dream Two (DVGA)

Golden Promise, Columbus and a shed load of Amarillo.

I hopes it's as good as the last one. Doing a 90 minute mash on this one about 25 minutes in.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew 

Just put this in the cube, named this brew 'Wakaho 7'. Smelling lime peel and orange/citrus aromas, should be tasty.

5kg Gladfield usa malt

250g Carapils

250g Light Crystal

@15 30g idaho 7

@10 30g wakatu

@5 15g idaho 7

cube hopped @82c 30g idaho 7 30g wakatu

Pitching Norcal ale #1 gigayeast tomorrow ?

2 hours ago, Scottie said:

Hey Brew Dudes

Nearly 4 months since I put a brew down, so its on.

Tangerine Dream Two (DVGA)

Golden Promise, Columbus and a shed load of Amarillo.

I hopes it's as good as the last one. Doing a 90 minute mash on this one about 25 minutes in.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew 

Gday Scottie and welcome to the forum. 

Whats taken you so long?

Partial mash, English best bitter.

3k Maris otter

225 grams carapils

300 grams ashburne

Coopers EB kit

1k dry malt

Disaster day, knocked over my 2 l starter intended for this brew. 5l flask smashed.

Will pitch the kit yeast and swing by lhbs tomorrow and grab an ale yeast.

Brew #6. Having another crack at a Pilsner, as my last one is an average lager. Didn't get any Saaz happening there at all.

Black Rock Export Pilsner. BR Blonde LME. 50g Saaz. Will do a short boil with some, then toss in the rest for 15-20m, after it's cooled.

As I don't have temp control and will brew at 18-20c, I'm using US05, only because they didn't have Nottingham, which I've done ok with.

Hopefully it turns out better this time. I have to say though, the best ones I've brewed have been with proper lager yeast. I did one with 05 once just to see how it would go, and white it wasn't bad, it wasn't as nice as the same recipe done with a proper lager yeast followed by an extended period of lagering.

So after posting last night and heading off to bed, I realised I never checked my OG. SO I got up and checked to see how I went.

I was aiming for 1.040 according to the IanH spreadsheet recipe I did, but ended up with 1.050.

I'm putting that down to 2 things but I could be wrong:

• The pot that I used for the steep holds temperature really well and after 20 mins it was still holding at about 60 degrees from a start at about 70, and they also ended up sitting for nearly an hour when I was only planning on steeping for 30 mins (had to pick up one of the kids from band and they were running late).
  • I didn't have a syphon (will be getting one this weekend) and ended up with most of the material from the bottom of the pot in the fermentor.

So regardless, it smells great, nice and yeasty and lots of hop aroma still and had a good krausen at 5:30 this morning after only putting it to be at about 10pm.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Jamie

I doubt steeping the grains for an extra 30 minutes would yield 10 extra SG points. It's possible that fermentation had just begun when the reading was taken and bubbles pushed the hydrometer up giving a false high reading. Or perhaps a bit of crud in the sample. If the fermentables and volume were measured properly then I'd go with the spreadsheet OG prediction, it's pretty accurate.

Rather than faff around with a siphon, I used to just strain the pot contents into the fermenter through a couple of kitchen sieves, kept most of it out.

23 hours ago, NewBrews said:

First extract brew down tonight. A pacific ale clone.

Smells great to me, although my daughter walked out and asked “What smells like sh1t?”

Love the Galaxy hop aroma - Yum!

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

My family is fine with boiling malt and steeped grain fluid, but some of the hops I have boiled sent them switching on the evaporative cooling in winter to push the smell outside of the house asap.  I think one hop was Progress and the other was First Gold.  "Vomit" was the term SWMBO used most eloquently to describe the aroma.  Although once it was in a 23L brew I reckon it was fine.

Cheers Shamus

Mouldy old clothes was the verdict, probably dug up from underneath a compost heap.. Not shit.

I think you've dulled your nasal passage through years of brewing. I've only boiled hops twice, but from two separate shops. They both smelled pretty ordinary.

When I add hop additions throughout my hops boils I have to be careful not to burn my face off from leaning down over the boil to inhale the wonderful hop aromas coming off of it!

I'm with Kelsey on this one. If your hops smell like crud, then maybe it's time to find a new source for your hops. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

That was just a general descriptor encompassing all the various descriptors used ? It could be due to the way they're stored by the shops selling them. If they're just left out in the shop area in ziplock bags (which my LHBS actually does), they're gonna go off a lot quicker than hops stored properly i.e. in vacuum sealed packages in a freezer, and perhaps this could cause them to smell yukky when boiling them. I can't remember what my first hop boils were like now, but I have not had this problem since starting all grain 6 years ago, the same time I began buying vacuum sealed hops, and storing them in the freezer at home.

Archived