Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, porschemad911 said:

1.7kg Mexican Cerveza kit

150g Simpsons Light Crystal malt (steeped)

40g Dr Rudi (13.4% AA) at flameout (15 minute steep)

60g Dr Rudi dry hop

S-04/BRY-97 blend

Managed to brew this up Monday night, easy brew evening and has been fermenting happily at 17C since the morning. Never get tired of how well the big block of ice trick works for these kit batches! 

I'll give it a week and a half then dry hop for a few days before bottling.

I grabbed some Simpson's Maris Otter and Voyager chocolate malt from the LHBS today, so looking forward to making something tasty with those in a few weeks time. Maybe a low gravity dark mild would be fun.

Cheers, 

John

So brew day went well, my brother and dad come over to see how easy this brewing caper is.

Hit most of my numbers but was a couple of points out in the end, not fussed really, I just think the batch of grain is slightly under modified compared to other bags. 

My brother was like..... it’s that it? Really? 

Yeah mate, that’s basically it. 

Think we may have another sucker down that rabbit hole.

Stout

2.8 kg M/O

.5 kg Flaked barley

.1 kg Light crystal 

.34 kg Roasted barley 

.22 kg Choc malt 

.1 kg Black barley 

.8 Acid malt 

3 g Cal sulphate

45g Ekg 60 min

OG 1040 

IBU 29

Wlp 004 yeast 

?

Lager #1

1 coopers Mexican cerveza

1.5kg golden promise mashed for 2 1/2 hours (went shopping) temp dipped to 58c but I am guessing that will be fine.

500g light dry malt

10g falconer flight 15min

30g falconer flight 5 min

15g Motueka 5 min

20min steep and whirlpool

2 packs of M76 Yeast rehydrated and pitched at 19c and will let temp drop to 10c and stay there for 5 days and then check the gravity if it is about 1.020 I will do a diacetyl rest over several days and let everything clean up and then lager.

1.045 OG 21 liters

30 IBUS

Simple recipe to use up the last of my hops, I found a 50g pack of saaz( I never use saaz so these have to be old) that I didn't use and 8g of warrior for later.  I am hoping for a nice lager but really testing out the fridge and my methods, as I never brewed a lager before.

Good brewing

Norris

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Lager #1

1 coopers Mexican cerveza

1.5kg golden promise mashed for 2 1/2 hours (went shopping) temp dipped to 58c but I am guessing that will be fine.

500g light dry malt

10g falconer flight 15min

30g falconer flight 5 min

15g Motueka 5 min

20min steep and whirlpool

2 packs of M76 Yeast rehydrated and pitched at 19c and will let temp drop to 10c and stay there for 5 days and then check the gravity if it is about 1.020 I will do a diacetyl rest over several days and let everything clean up and then lager.

1.045 OG 21 liters

30 IBUS

Simple recipe to use up the last of my hops, I found a 50g pack of saaz( I never use saaz so these have to be old) that I didn't use and 8g of warrior for later.  I am hoping for a nice lager but really testing out the fridge and my methods, as I never brewed a lager before.

Good brewing

Norris

Looks good mate. I know they are not the "in thing" these days but for me brewing an awesome crisp clean lager is an achievement. From my point of view its quite easy to throw a s*itload of hops at an IPA and make it great. Much harder task to make a lager great.

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks good mate. I know they are not the "in thing" these days but for me brewing an awesome crisp clean lager is an achievement. From my point of view its quite easy to throw a s*itload of hops at an IPA and make it great. Much harder task to make a lager great.

I agree. I love a well made lager and they are great on a warm/hot day. 

Iv been away at sea for quite some time and get home in the next few days, got 4 empty FVs and when I was gone I had the missus after pay a whole heap of kits and bits and a 19L stock pot. Going to head to my LHBS and grab some grains and put down my first AG batch (11L) in my craft fermenter then also put down the Shark attack XPA, TOUCAN Stout with some fuggles and choc malt steeped in and my alcoholic sars with 2 kg of dex. Not a bad little brew day roughly 80 litres of mixed goodness.

Just need to work out a basic first AG recipe got Galaxy, Cascade, Centennial, Fuggles, Citra and Amarillo on hand.  

Cheers Greeny and Beer Baron! I have the same thoughts. I love hops, but I appreciate a well made lager, any brand.

I think it tests your brewing/recipe skills also, because there is nothing to hide behind, no esters, not a lot of hops, just clean crispness. If it is out of balance, you will know. I had a can of cerveza sitting around but I also have some briess munich, pilsner and rye extract that I need to use. I was going to do an Oktoberfest type of thing but I felt the hops I had wasnt going to be enough or the right kind and I didn't want some sweet lager thing that was really trying to be an ale. So I decided to use up the grains I had and poof....Motezuma's Golden Falcon was born( I know pretentious name for something that could be crap...but I am a believer!)

With that said falconers flight isnt the usual hop to use, while motueka fits in, I felt based off another lager I read about, Millennium Falconers Lager, these would work nicely and Lusty's Enterprise Lager also featured some other hops besides the noble varieties and finally Worthog mentioned he would of used cascade next time in his Hallertau Lager so I said why not.

Thanks again guys, I will let you all know how it came out, the code word for crap will be "Nickleback".

Norris

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

@Otto Von Blotto

I have been meaning to ask you how the Vic Secret Pale ale went, I apologize if I missed your posts on it.

I want to know your hop additions and did you get a lot of fruit or some earthiness from early additions.

Cheers

Norris

It turned out really well. Lots of fruit, didn't use any early though due to its high cohumulone level. The Vic Secret hop additions were at flameout and in the cube, plus a decent dry hop after fermentation, along with a bit of Magnum early in the boil. I'll definitely be using the hop again, in combination with others.

Recipe: not Dale's Pale Ale 344
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 65.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
14.87 g          Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
3.28 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.50 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   3          -             -             
1.49 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   4          -             -             
0.35 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   5          -             -             
4.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         6          77.9 %        2.93 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         7          17.3 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         8          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         9          0.4 %         0.02 L        
40.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           10         33.9 IBUs     -             
80.00 g          Cascade [6.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           11         16.7 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           12         15.1 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop           13         0.0 IBUs      -             
German Ale yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to use the German Ale yeast i have, i have found that to be very good, brings out a good hoppiness.

Big thanks to @Hairy and @Worthog for their suggestions for my 20ltr urn. I finally put the wort in the fermenter this morning, Sierra APA. After 60min boil ended up with 17ltr @1055 ish. Topped fermenter to 20 Litres fo a 1.042 start, pretty happy with that, mind you boiling 19 Ltr in a 20 pot is pretty hairy (pardon the pun) fingers crossed BR97 harvested yeast

john

Brewing my red ale again tomorrow, and going back to the original water profile which comes straight from the tap for it. After a bit of mucking around with the water, I've decided the plain old tap water profile suits this beer better than anything else. Naturally, will treat with potassium met prior to mashing in to get rid of those pesky chloramines.

25L batch size, working on 75% brewhouse efficiency.

Water
36.00 L Brisbane Water Water 1 - -

Grains
4.000 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 2 86.6 % 2.61 L
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 6.5 % 0.20 L
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 % 0.13 L
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 5 1.5 % 0.05 L
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 6 1.1 % 0.03 L
Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes, 78C mashout.

Hops
30.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 7 22.6 IBUs -
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 12.0 IBUs -
75 minute boil

Yeast
West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469), fermented at 18C. This is the last time I'll use this culture, will go buy a fresh pack of it before the next use.

I'm also going to throw some oak chips into it at pitching time. Last time I brewed it I threw them in with the dry hop and couldn't really notice any influence from them so maybe a bit longer contact time will help. Might skip the Polyclar too this time around.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 34.5 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey,

For my next red ale I might try this Wyeast 1469 out. It seems very similar to the 1450 in terms of finishing dry but malt shines, think I’ll give it a crack.

I’ve been brewing the not as big as Benny’s Big Red Rye IPA, with the 1450 it makes it more of a malty type beer or English style, however the hops are still able to be very prevalent with the 1450.

I think it’ll be an interesting comparison between the two yeasts

Doing a saison as I type. Simple simple recipe of 3.8kg pale malt, 500gm wheat, 100gm crystal. 5gm gypsum added to tap water. 60% of the IBU from 60min magnum addition with the other 40% from a 20gm cascade @ 10 mins and a 20g flameout steep for 15 mins. 5gm of coriander seed added at 10 mins as well. 19L batch which i am going to split in half and do half with Belle Saison and half with 3724 dupont. The dupont i will wait for full krausen then take the lid off and open ferment with kitchen towel and a rubber band over the cap hole. 

Same ferment schedule of 20c pitch for 2 days then 1c per day till 25c

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey Kelsey,

For my next red ale I might try this Wyeast 1469 out. It seems very similar to the 1450 in terms of finishing dry but malt shines, think I’ll give it a crack.

I’ve been brewing the not as big as Benny’s Big Red Rye IPA, with the 1450 it makes it more of a malty type beer or English style, however the hops are still able to be very prevalent with the 1450.

I think it’ll be an interesting comparison between the two yeasts

Yeah I haven't used the 1450, it's not always available though. I quite like the 1469 in English ales as well, due to the dryish and balanced finish but still brings out the malt. It went well in my stout too, but didn't go as well in my porter recipe. That one turned out nicer with S-04. 

Kelsey your recipe looks nice, I can see the oak really adding some dimensions, vanilla? Hahha that was an off hand joke about biotranformation.

Greeny! That looks super interesting, in an awesome way! It sounds tasty, but I haven't had a saison I liked yet.

Good brewing ya'll

Norris

Just now, Norris! said:

Kelsey your recipe looks nice, I can see the oak really adding some dimensions, vanilla? Hahha that was an off hand joke about biotranformation.

Greeny! That looks super interesting, in an awesome way! It sounds tasty, but I haven't had a saison I liked yet.

Good brewing ya'll

Norris

Yeah not everyones cup of tea. I love them in summer time. Do 4 or 5 a year at least.

Archived