Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

Hi all,

Bottling night and a double brew night here.

Finished up the amber ale I've had going and harvested the yeast slurry (CCA)

Put down PB2's Toucan Stout

Coopers Stout 1.7kg

Coopers Dark Ale 1.7kg

Dextrose 1kg

Made to 23 litres

Pitched 360mls* CCA yeast slurry at 20°C and fermentation will be at 18°C for both batches.

O.G. came in at 1.058

* I intended on only pitching 250mls but stuffed up.... hopefully all goes well.

Second batch was an IPA Hop Slam

3 litre boil with 300g LDM

15g Cascade at 10 mins

25g Cascade at F/O

25g Galaxy at F/O

T.C Brew A IPA 1.7kg

LDM 1.2 kg 

Water to 23 litres 

O.G. was 1.045

240mls CCA yeast slurry

Dry hop to follow 20g each of Galaxy and Cascade

Going on a 12 day fishing trip in 7 weeks time and I'll be buggered if I'm forking out top dollar for shop bought beer so I'm upping production for the next few weeks! Double bottling and brew days ?

Cheers, Lee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew day today. ?

Coopers DIY recipe: Fruit Salad Ale + 200gms Caramalt.

I was 5gms short on Cascade & Amarillo, so added in 10gms of Citra that should work in with these flavours nicely. The reactivated CCA yeast was roaring to get at the wort prior to pitching too. ☺️ A 30min steep of grain & hops, then mixed with the kit & LDM, yeast pitched & everything cleaned up all in under 45mins. I reckon that's a new record here at the Beerlust brewery! ?

I'm really looking forward to reacquainting myself with this beer. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, Beerlust said:

Dale's Pale Ale is still the best commercial all Cascade beer I think I've ever drank. I must get around to making a batch this year.

Have you tried the Epic Pale Ale? That's all Cascade and tastes great. 

Cheers, 

John

A British Golden Ale on the go today using 'left-over' hops.  My usual partial-mash approach i.e. 50/50 grain/extract where the extract is courtesy of a Coopers OS Lager can.  First time using Gladfield's German Pilsner Malt.

• 1 x 1.7kg Coopers OS Lager
  • 1.5kg Gladfield German Pilsner Malt
  • 500g Gladfield Toffee Malt
  • 200g Sugar
  • 50g Bramling Cross @ 5 mins
  • 50g Taiheke (30 min post-boil steep)
  • Nottingham Yeast

Mash 75mins@66ºC.    

| OG=1.044 | EBC=8 | IBU=30 | ABV= 4.6% |

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Have you tried the Epic Pale Ale? That's all Cascade and tastes great.

I have John & it is a very nice beer, but Dale's Pale Ale just tops it I reckon.

I actually did a side by side of these two beers along with some others back in October last year. (Linky)

Have you tried Dale's Pale Ale?

Cheers,

Lusty.

It could well be mate, I honestly don't know as I've never brewed an attempt of the beer to know for sure. I've actually seen & read that post in the past. I've seen quite a few variations of supposed clones across a few different forums etc. BYO have one that has no Northern brewer at all. The 3 remaining hops in that clone recipe you linked to are all very similar & very citrusy so it would be easy to lose any of those hops in a blind tasting I reckon.

I had a link to an HBT listed clone that was part of their top 100 a few years ago, but when I upgraded my comp last year, I lost a lot of web-based links that I had saved including this one. ?

I did a solo FWH Cascade brew with only a further dry hop addition of the same a few years back that turned out terrific for the small amount of hops I used on it so when I do plan to make an all Cascade beer, this will be part of the angle I'll use to hopefully make a beer like Dale's Pale Ale. ?

If you haven't already, try the commercial beer. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

19L Belgian blond ale batch on the boil at the moment.

3.6kg JW pilsener

0.6kg BB pale malt

0.6kg dextrose added with 10 mins to go in the boil

27g Hallertau FWH

24g Hallertau @ 10 mins with the irish moss addition

Mashed at 67c for 75 mins. Will be fermented using a 2L starter of Danstar Abbaye @ 18c for 2 days then raised 1c each day till 25c and held till done. 

Hoping for an OG of 1064 with a FG of 1012. Unlike all my other belgians this will be force carbed after a 2 week condition at 1c. 

Alright, so have any of you all grainers wondered what a kit and kilo beer would be like if you did one with the knowledge you have now? Well thats what im planning next. I picked up a Coopers Draught kit and a box of BE3 to see if i can make a decent quaffer for summer. The kit seems pretty fresh too, its best before date is 17-5-20. Ill post back here when i get around to brewing it up

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Alright, so have any of you all grainers wondered what a kit and kilo beer would be like if you did one with the knowledge you have now? Well thats what im planning next. I picked up a Coopers Draught kit and a box of BE3 to see if i can make a decent quaffer for summer. The kit seems pretty fresh too, its best before date is 17-5-20. Ill post back here when i get around to brewing it up

Cheers!

I’ve wondered and the beer I’ve been looking at is the sparkling ale recipe that lusty posted a while back. I love a good sparkling and thought I could age it a bit as PB2 has spoken of that beer being good when aged a bit. 

Good luck with the brew Rowan. Hope it turns out well for ya. 

I feel the pure extract beers tend to stay "green" for a little longer. That 6-8 week bottled mark & beyond always seems to be a nice point to be drinking them from my experiences, so PB2's comments on ageing this beer a little longer in a home-brewed scenario certainly have merit along with the fact it's a higher ABV beer.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Archived