Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doing a Mosaic single hop brew at the moment. Nothing overly complex going on here, just lots of delicious flavour and drinkability I'm betting 8-)

Boil Size: 34.04 L
Post Boil Volume: 29.17 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 27.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 16.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 61.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.6 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
39.05 L          RO Water                                         Water         1          -             -             
14.80 g          Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -             
4.80 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
4.10 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   4          -             -             
0.40 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   5          -             -             
7.00 kg          Coopers Premium Ale Malt (5.9 EBC)               Grain         6          83.3 %        4.56 L        
0.70 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         7          8.3 %         0.46 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (63.0 EBC)          Grain         8          6.0 %         0.33 L        
0.20 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)                 Grain         9          2.4 %         0.13 L        
60.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 20.0 min       Hop           10         50.2 IBUs     -             
0.50 Items       Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)                Fining        11         -             -             
0.50 tsp         Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)                  Other         12         -             -             
50.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           13         11.1 IBUs     -             
2.0 pkg          Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast         14         -             -             
50.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days    Hop           15         0.0 IBUs      -             
40.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days    Hop           16         0.0 IBUs      -             

Is it considered a partial mash if I only added carapils, steeped not mashed per se? I am asking because this local competition has 3 categories, extract, partial mash and all grain. My recipe is all extract except for the carapils.

Norris

Cleanup pale ale today, I recon sometimes these turn out better than beers I've planned out, fingers crossed.

5kg Maris Otter

500g Flaked Oats

170g Light Crystal

@60 10g Magnum

@0 Cool to 82c, 27g Amarillo 20g Centennial 20g Mosaic for 20 mins

Then 20g El Dorado 20g Centennial 20g Mosaic for another 20 mins

23L batch with gravity of 1.052, will pitch m36 yeast tomorrow.

Cubed overnight for now sample smells like golden circle tropical punch ?

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Is it considered a partial mash if I only added carapils, steeped not mashed per se? I am asking because this local competition has 3 categories, extract, partial mash and all grain. My recipe is all extract except for the carapils.

Norris

I’m gonna go with that’s an extract based beer

Golden Ale

2.2 kg Pils

1kg Wheat

.6 kg Munich 2

.03 kg midnight wheat

.1 kg Acid malt

3 gms Cal Sulphate

4 g Warrior 60 min

30g Amarillo 10 min

40g cubed for 25 min then cooled

Thinking of dry hopping with Citra ? 40g  Any comments welcome

OG 1039

IBU 29

WLP 001 Yeast ( It need waking up again after 6 mths) ?

Finally punched in the post boil SG etc. to Beersmith, ended up with 76.3% overall efficiency this brew. I wonder if the Gladfield malt had something to do with that; I'd done a number of pale ales recently where for some reason the post boil SG was being missed even though the pre-boil SG and volume was spot on. This time the pre-boil SG was 1.5 points higher than predicted, and the boil didn't increase the SG by as much as Beersmith suggests it should, but the higher pre-boil SG ensured the post boil SG was on target (or a point above it actually). I'll be interested to see what happens on my next 'normal' batch in which the base malt will be all Gladfield ale. I have a Bo Pils to brew next, and then that big stout after that, after which I'll probably do another batch of the red ale and try adding the oak chips from the beginning of ferment.

I also need to get some more fn 25 litre cubes. The one I have from Bunnings has decided that it wants to leak wort ever so slightly out of the bung; I replaced the tap with the bung because the tap was leaking water when it was being soaked in perc. As a result the cube is out on the front deck away from anything important because last time a cube leaked like that it blew up, although that one took about 4 weeks to do so. Luckily this one will be pitched on Saturday all things going well. It also leaked out of the lid when I filled it and tipped it on its side to get hot wort up around the handle area. I might try those ones from Anaconda that Kirk linked to recently. I'm happy enough to use the bungs in them and simply fit a tap when I'm ready to transfer to the FV, but I'm not gonna put up with leaking shit.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey, I have heard from the LHBS that gladfield malt converts a bit higher and a few brewers have reported increased efficiency. I can't comment because I started using gladfield from the start and haven't had a lot to compare to.

I also rarely brew they same recipe twice so don't have a baseline efficiency with minimal variables.

Re: cubes I got my last one (20L) from cheeky peak and it came with the bung/tap hole u drilled. I have kept it like this as it is one less point of potential infection, and one less spot to clean. I used the siphon method last time I pitched and was able to leave the cold break behind.

How would you fit a tap before pitching? Turning it tap side up would stir up the cold break and negate the benefit of pouring it from a tap

Yeah, my pale recipes change although the malt bill remains the same on pretty well all of them. It works so I haven't had a need to change it; did play around with it a bit at the beginning before settling on the current makeup though.

The cube would be turned bung side up to fit a tap and yes it will stir up the trub, probably no more than picking it up to pour it in though. However, this would be done before anything else, in order to turn it right way up and allow it to largely settle out again.

Last batch I would have stirred it up moving the cube from the spare room to the kitchen bench, but I left it sit for half an hour before transferring and hardly got any trub into the fv. Obviously in that case it wasn't opened, but I can't see anything happening in half an hour or so re infection. 

I'm definitely going to do it!  I found an interesting recipe on the Gladfield malts page.  And was looking at my Brewing Classic Styles book the other night and there is a good recipe in there as well.

The thing is I have quite a few dark beers here at the moment.  My robust porter is drinking quite nicely and the smoked porter in the fermenter is... well interesting.  Rather smoky and I only brewed this because of a special request from a mate who absolutely loves the dark beers.

I have a fair bit of stock here, so the next beer will be a lager and that should be fine.  No beer shortage/crisis so the lager can take its sweet time to ferment, cold crash for two weeks then time in the bottle to come good.

I am thinking I will brew a Japanese Rice Lager for the challenge though.  Something different using a touch of sushi rice for a cereal mash.  I have Tettnanger that I think will go well in a Japanese Rice Lager.  I think I'll save my Saaz for a Czech premium pale lager (or is it a pilsner ?)

Archived