Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

Hi all, finally taking the plunge into all grain. I realised I had a urn in the garage I scored from the catering manager at footy park when we were servicing them. ( RIP FOOTY PARK )The only problem it is only 20ltrs, not a huge issue will have to do 15ltre brews for a while, just have to scale down some recipes with the help of some software and give it a go, really looking forward to the new venture, thanks to everyone's help on here

cheers

john

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I can get them at my local Bunnings however it’s too late in the season for them to really take off where I am. 

You can mail order seeds from diggers club in Melbourne. They’ll have em for sure. 

But again a bit of a pain.

Thanks mate. ?

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

But it's a sour? uggghhh. ?

Your Saison version is much more suited (IMHO).

Cheers guys,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just about to put the first lot of grain in to mash on my stout. Going with 4.5kg of the base malt for the first one, then the second part will be the other 3kg plus the specialty grain. Gonna be a loooong brew day!

Yes it is. You just about be into your second mash now hey Kelsey? Going alright?

Yeah just doughed in the second half. Had to waste half an hour going to get money out because swmbo wanted to buy a bloody dressing unit thing. However, at this rate I expect the boil will begin around 2ish so I'll still be done by 4 I reckon. Going alright so far, and just fired up the smoker to get the bacon done as well.

Neipa V6 today, first time trying liquid yeast too will def harvest it due to the price I went with GY054 Vermont IPA Gigayeast.

4Kg Maris Otter

1Kg Vienna

650g Oats

650g Wheat

@60 10 Magnum

@5 25g Citra/Mosaic

@0 40g Citra/Mosaic/Azacca 20 min steep,

Thinking double dry hopping, first at day 3, then dose it again for last 5 days of ferment.

I think I'll wait until I have some kind of hoisting system before I do another reiterated mash. The first half went as normal but the second half when I pulled the bag retained a lot more wort and made a bit of a mess in the process. Took about twice as long to drain. The time isn't the issue but the mess... I reckon with a proper hoisting system it would be much less messy lifting the bag out.

Anyway, the wort is finally coming up to the boil now, sitting near on 70 degrees. I have a pre boil sample cooling in the fridge so I'll test that once the wort is boiling and adjust the hops if necessary.

At least I got the starting water volume right. Got about 30.5L pre boil so I'll stick with the 75 minute boil.

I made an Aussie Pale Ale today. No long boiled hops in this one, just at flameout and in the cube.

Pale, 84%

Victory, 6%

Munich, 6%

Wheat, 4%

Mashed at 66°C for 60 mins

25g Topaz flameout

10g Summer flameout

10g Galaxy flameout

25g Topaz cube

20g Summer cube

20g Galaxy cube

30g Galaxy dry

38 IBU (no chill)

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Gully85 said:

Well I thought I would try this one out to this weekend. Thoughts?

Screenshot_20180915-152944.jpg

Screenshot_20180915-152958.jpg

Screenshot_20180915-153010.jpg

Hey Gully,

I think the grain bill is great. Quite a dark ipa with some malt flavour. 

Citra and Centennial area good hop combo. 

For an ipa I’d loose the 5 min addition pack up the steep for some flavour. Do a 15 min steep of like 40-50g of each. Or cube hop if you cube. Sorry cant remember if you chill or not. 

For a IPA you could up the ibu count to match your OG as a general rule

Captain

In terms of infection risk, cubing is better done at 80 or above. If you are pitching yeast the next day or two, it probably doesn't really matter though.

The post boil SG on today's epic stout brew day ended up at 1.0855. By far the biggest beer I've brewed. Full cube so will get target batch size too. Depending on FG it will be somewhere between 8 and 9% ABV and that's without priming sugar. I'll pick up a second fermenter in the next week or so and use that to ferment it in.

Cheers

Kelsey

11 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

It depends if i want to get some bitterness from the cube hops. If i do, like todays brew, i transfer at about 85°C. If i want minimal to no IBUs from the cube additions i transfer below 80°C. Usually at about 77°C

Hey Rowbrew do you have timings on how long your kettle sits to cool to these temps for transferring to cube? I took a reading after a 30min whirlpool and I am struggling to remember, but think it wa about 87C. Depend on season n ambient though. I remember last summer after whirlpool I transferred at 92C

So for this particular brew my process was this,

Fameout, add hops and cover for 20 mins. Temp after 20 mins was 89°C. Then i removed the hops, whirlpooled and left uncovered for another 20 mins, then transfered into the cube at 82°C

Smashed out another cleanup brew out just before, going to cube hop for the first time, hope its good.

4kg Gladfields Ale Malt

250g Carapils

250g Light Crystal

170g Wheat

100g Oats

@60 4g Magnum/4g Northern Brewer

@10 25g Ahtanum

@0 30g Ahtanum 30g Kohatu 20 min steep

Cooling to 82c and cube hopping with 30g Ahtanum and 30g Kohatu

Pitching harvested m36 tomorrow

Btw this thread is awesome, if I need inspiration for next brew I read a few pages here and boom ?

Thanks @Rowbrew those timings make sense.

@Dirtman Dan this thread is great and I have been inspired many times and even brewed recipes verbatim. Your brew looks great, I love a little bit of wheat and oats in my pale ales too. You won’t be disappointed by cube hopping either. I am not familiar with Ahtanum but from what I read it is a classic American style hop so will mix well with the NZ one.

yum

Archived