Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

I feel the pure extract beers tend to stay "green" for a little longer. That 6-8 week bottled mark & beyond always seems to be a nice point to be drinking them from my experiences, so PB2's comments on ageing this beer a little longer in a home-brewed scenario certainly have merit along with the fact it's a higher ABV beer.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

From memory he was talking about the commercial bottles and he was saying something like Sparkling ale really starts to shine at the 12 month mark

20 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Alright, so have any of you all grainers wondered what a kit and kilo beer would be like if you did one with the knowledge you have now? Well thats what im planning next. I picked up a Coopers Draught kit and a box of BE3 to see if i can make a decent quaffer for summer. The kit seems pretty fresh too, its best before date is 17-5-20. Ill post back here when i get around to brewing it up

Cheers!

I do one for the old man about every 3 months. Same recipe every time. Can of pale ale and can of light malt extract with 2L CCA starter. Comes out the ok but you still know its a kit by the taste. He likes it though and is a creature of habit.

2 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

From memory he was talking about the commercial bottles and he was saying something like Sparkling ale really starts to shine at the 12 month mark

In higher ABV beers malt complexities & hopping begin to meld better the longer they're aged, but given the Sparkling Ale isn't a particularly complex hop & malt bill I'm a little befuddled about what would surface as being improved at that point as opposed to half that timeframe in ageing.

PB2 has far more experience than I do on this front so I'll take his word for that, but admit I do find it just a little perplexing. I suppose until you've sampled the beers at those ages it's hard to really have a view at all.

So I'll shut up now. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

In higher ABV beers malt complexities & hopping begin to meld better the longer they're aged, but given the Sparkling Ale isn't a particularly complex hop & malt bill I'm a little befuddled about what would surface as being improved at that point as opposed to half that timeframe in ageing.

PB2 has far more experience than I do on this front so I'll take his word for that, but admit I do find it just a little perplexing. I suppose until you've sampled the beers at those ages it's hard to really have a view at all.

So I'll shut up now. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep completely agree with that lusty. 

I think I’d like to age that beer to find out WTF he is talking about TBH. However you really can’t shy away from what he’s saying as we all know he’s a gun!

Anyway, I’ll shut up too. 

Long weekend over here, I’m going to have another beer.

Captain

2 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Alright, so have any of you all grainers wondered what a kit and kilo beer would be like if you did one with the knowledge you have now? Well thats what im planning next. I picked up a Coopers Draught kit and a box of BE3 to see if i can make a decent quaffer for summer. The kit seems pretty fresh too, its best before date is 17-5-20. Ill post back here when i get around to brewing it up

Cheers!

I've actually done it, but out of necessity more than anything else. A few years ago I made an English bitter kit with 1kg dry malt because I had no time for an AG brew. It was nice, but not as nice as my AG beers and not as nice as I remembered it from my kit days either. Maybe it was just psychological/confirmation bias; knowing it was a kit beer perhaps skewed my perception. 

Having said that, someone brought some home brew to a party about a year later and I immediately picked up that it was a kit beer without being told before tasting it. So who knows. I think it's fair to say that the brew would turn out better with the knowledge than it might have as a newbie though.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:13 PM, Beerlust said:

I have John & it is a very nice beer, but Dale's Pale Ale just tops it I reckon.

I actually did a side by side of these two beers along with some others back in October last year. (Linky)

Have you tried Dale's Pale Ale?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice work Lusty! No I haven't tried Dale's... No point if they're not fresh, and I can't seem to find anything under 4 months old.

Do you stock them at work, and if so, what dates do yours have on them? 

Cheers, 

John

6 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Nice work Lusty! No I haven't tried Dale's... No point if they're not fresh, and I can't seem to find anything under 4 months old.

Do you stock them at work, and if so, what dates do yours have on them?

AFAIK, imported beers arrive in shipping containers, so the northern hemisphere beers take quite sometime to reach our shores. 3-4 month old stock would be fairly typical by the time it hits our shelves. Being that NZ is a lot closer their stuff is obviously not as old by the time we see it here. Part of the reason some of the prominent beer brands have their beers brewed under license by local breweries is to avoid this scenario & have their beers hit the shelves fresher.

The Dale's Pale Ale I had would have been at least 3-4 months old too I would think (I didn't check). Don't worry about it though John, this beer is not heavily dry hopped & retains the flavour better as most of the hopping for the beer is either in the boil or steeped.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just askin, it’s not really a “normal” temp mate.

thought you might have your 6 and your 9 mixed up. 

Hooe it goes well for ya bud.

Going to do some real simple brews next break to get the stocks up. With the wife now burying her mouth into them it’s taking its toll ya ha ha ha

31 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Yeah fair enough mate. I thought fermenting it a little cooler might make for a very clean crisp fisnish in the beer. Anyway we'll see how it goes. Cheers and Happy brewing

Apparently not from what I've read, it's cleaner at 18. I don't know why, perhaps the yeast are a bit stressed trying to ferment that cool.

Archived