Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

Having another crack at an English Best Bitter...

• 1.50kg Gladfield American Ale Malt 
  • 1.7kg Coopers (OS) Draught
  • 0.25kg  Gladfield Biscuit Malt
  • 0.20kg  Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt
  • 0.15kg  Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt
  • 0.04 kg  Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt
  • 25g Fuggles - Boil 10.0 min
  • 50g East Kent Goldings  F.O.
  • 10g Gypsum
  • Yeast: Liberty Bell (Mangrove Jack's #M36)

Just cooling the wort now...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I’m brand new to HB. Bought a kit last week and swapped out th standard lager for another recipe.

So, trying a recipe from the coopers diy being Fruit salid ale. Though I added twice the hops. 50g ofcascade and 25g armarillo steeped with 200g dex. Then 25g dry hop Amarillo 2 days later.

then I had to go back to current residence (in between houses atm) 10hrs drive away. So hopefully it takes care of itself till I return in 7 days.

thats what’s in my FV now and my very first brew ever.

Hello & welcome to the forum Vinot.

As fate would have it, I have this very beer on the pour from my keg setup atm. The base recipe using the reactivated commercial ale yeast makes for a lovely beer to drink during the warmer months of the year.

Best of luck with your brewing of it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

The nice banana ester from the commercial ale yeast is right there, but the cascade & amarillo influence is a little more subdued this time around for some reason. No fault of the recipe, maybe just the age of the hops I used this time around.

Your version will come out a little different given your yeast choices & your heavier hopping & dry hopping. The Cascade & Amarillo combo is a winner though so provided your ferment goes well, I'd expect a nice beer to enjoy once you have it on the pour.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ever hear of All Inn Brewery? A lot of fresh wart kits around the HB shops.

well my very good friend built his (Harley) crash cooling system. This mate is setting up a fridge for me (all digital, quality controls free of change (thanks Adrian)).

but back to brewing. This being my first, I hope it will finish as a good drinking beer. Ready for the worm temps at Ballina.

thinking of bulk priming (dex in boiling water) rather than using the carbonation drops.

I'm sure this is the wrong three to ask the coming question (I'm not a seasoned forum poster) but is bulk priming for secondary (carbonating)  fermentation a good or bad idea? 

I understand that the least amount of oxygen the better but I'm not liking the idea of the carbonation drops. 

Sorry if this is annoying to post on this thread, if there is a better thred or this question is already more than explained on another please point me in the right direction.

Thanks, VinoT

Gday Vinot, Welcome to the forum.

First question: yes, all inn brewing is a fairly common fresh wort kit. I have heard numerous people using these kits with great success. 

I am personally not a fan of the carb drops however I know a lot of people use them.  

Bulk priming is a better way to control carbonation. I wouldn’t worry too much about adding oxygen to your beer through this process, if your racking to a second bottling bucket just make sure the hose is all the way to the bottom of the bucket, even better if you can create the whirlpool action to ensure sugar is mixed correctly. 

On 10/20/2018 at 9:22 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey popo, I haven’t tried it before and thought I’d give it a crack. I reduced the bitterness by a fair chunk. As I think it would be a very bitter beer with not a lot of body for my tastes. 

Americans seem to enjoy a bit more bitterness overall. 

ill be sure to let you guys know how it goes once it’s in the glass. 

Cool. 

I brewed Drew Beechum's Citra Saison last summer and it was pretty popular. I was gunna give this one a whirl this year. Keen to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Cool. 

I brewed Drew Beechum's Citra Saison last summer and it was pretty popular. I was gunna give this one a whirl this year. Keen to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Well from what I understand the citra Saison and springtime are the same recipe just different hops obviously. 

Ill be sure to let you guys know how she fairs. 

Brewed up a dark mild tonight... All about some tasty malts. 

1.037 OG, 15 IBU, 35 EBC, 11l fermenter volume

90 min mash at 67C, 60 min boil, no-chill in the kettle

1.7kg Simpson's Maris Otter malt

100g Simpson's Light Crystal malt

100g Simpson's Medium Crystal malt

75g Voyager Chocolate malt

10g Aramis at FWH

Will ferment with my S-04/BRY97 slurry blend.

Cheers, 

John

4 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

...Will ferment with my S-04/BRY97 slurry blend.

Well there's a match made in Heaven. ?

As far as the brew getting up & going, it must be like watching two snails race each other! ?

Good luck with the brew John.

Fingers crossed,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Well there's a match made in Heaven. ?

As far as the brew getting up & going, it must be like watching two snails race each other! ?

Good luck with the brew John.

Fingers crossed,

Lusty.

Haha! This will be the third pitch of this blend and perhaps I'm lucky, but the first two were up and running very quickly.

Cheers, 

John

Well hiya all,

Hope all is well on the brewing front .....and personally aswell.

Been a while since I posted - stopped brewing for a bit and was enjoying all the latest craft beers out there, then any brews I did were lazy FWK's - hardly worth posting about even tho some were tasty.

Just started back again - drinking 2 FWKs at present and a Robust Porter which I make regularly. Just put down the Shark Attack XPA ROTM and then going to do a small batch IPA from the Mr Beer pale ale kit picked up at the same time.

Planned to go all grain (and still do) - but just time poor, (hence the FWK's!) Will get there one day with a Robobrew or similar but in the meantime Ill do a few partials to get me back into it.

Cheers and beers

Payno

On 9/15/2018 at 6:45 PM, Rowbrew said:

I made an Aussie Pale Ale today. No long boiled hops in this one, just at flameout and in the cube.

Pale, 84%

Victory, 6%

Munich, 6%

Wheat, 4%

Mashed at 66°C for 60 mins

25g Topaz flameout

10g Summer flameout

10g Galaxy flameout

25g Topaz cube

20g Summer cube

20g Galaxy cube

30g Galaxy dry

38 IBU (no chill)

Cheers!

I finally got around to putting this in the FV tonight. Its been sitting in a cube for over 5 weeks just waiting to be fermented. Lately i have just been so busy, its hard to find time to get out in the shed. This brew had 65g of cube hops, so i guess time will tell if the prolonged cube storage causes any ill effects once its in the glass. It sure did smell awesome going in though!

Cheers!

What yeast did u go with rowbrew? How do you find it when you do no long boil hops? Must say i did an all late hops brew once and wasn't my cup of tea. Had a lot of galaxy like yours too. I find my taste buds need a bit of early boil bitterness. I now aim for at least 40% of total IBU from early hops for a pale ale and 50% for IPAs.

Hey Greeny, the plan was to use Coopers Commercial Ale yeast, but i didn't want to waste more time making a starter so i went with US05 at 18°C. I have never made a pale ale with only flameout and cube additions before, so i can't comment on that just yet. But once its bottled and carbed ill let you know my thoughts.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, Beerlust said:

You're obviously pitching good healthy volumes of yeast John that is helping reduce lag times.

A good thing with those two strains. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes, I think so. I pitched around 200ml thick slurry at 11pm last night, and awoke to a nice thick krausen at 6am (yes I slept in today?) .

Cheers, 

John

@Beerlust

Recipe: not Dale's Pale Ale 344
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 65.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
14.87 g          Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
3.28 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.50 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   3          -             -             
1.49 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   4          -             -             
0.35 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   5          -             -             
4.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         6          77.9 %        2.93 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         7          17.3 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         8          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         9          0.4 %         0.02 L        
40.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           10         33.9 IBUs     -             
80.00 g          Cascade [6.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           11         16.7 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           12         15.1 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop           13         0.0 IBUs      -             
German Ale yeast
---------------------------------------------------------

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Recipe: not Dale's Pale Ale 344

Yeah not really...

anyway this is going on today.

Pacific Saison

Recipe: Pacific Ale 195
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Cost: $18.87

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 52.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.75 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          49.7 %        1.14 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          42.6 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         3          7.1 %         0.16 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         4          0.6 %         0.01 L        
60.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          35.0 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          17.3 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived