Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 52.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.75 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          49.7 %        1.14 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          42.6 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         3          7.1 %         0.16 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         4          0.6 %         0.01 L        
60.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          35.0 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          17.3 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try this again, not going to portion the hops until i need them

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's how I always do it, they don't come out of the freezer until a few minutes before the addition is due, when I weigh that particular addition. If I'm cube hopping I'll weigh that one and add it to the cube after I drop the 10 minute addition in, flameout additions get weighed after that, or when the cube hop would be weighed if not doing one. Haven't managed to stuff up the additions yet doing it that way.

56 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

That pacific ale type recipe is cursed for me, not the first time I have forked it,

There's nothing wrong with the recipe.

It's likely the consumption of those Big Red Rye's (& cohorts) over the course of brew day that are leading to the shall we say, "hop malfunctions". ?

Good luck avoiding those malfunctions this time around Ben. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, tja1980 said:

Love the malt and hop smell, certainly gets rid of dog smell ?, was actually thinking about getting a sealer so I could seal up me hop bags, kogan has them cheap ?

Tristan

Hi Tristan

I have got the Kogan Premium Food Vacuum Sealer. It does the job with plastic vacuum sealer bags.  Though, I have not got it to work on foil bags.  It might not be meant for them.

I use it to seal up my home grown and dehydrated hops, small batches of cracked grain and commercial hops I am part way through using.  All of these get put in the freezer.

Cheers Shamus

10 minutes ago, tja1980 said:

@Shamus O'Sean not a bad idea, home grown hops, I have been wanting to do that ? where do you go to get hop seedlings ?

Tristan

Hey Tristan

Search "Hop Plants" on ebay.  There is somebody in Silvan, Victoria selling them now.  I got mine in 4inch pots from a seller in Seaford, Victoria. 

Planting them now might not give you much.  Usually want them in the ground by late winter.

I also remember reading how Bunnings had them once and they were described as a perennial climber.

Cheers Shamus

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I also remember reading how Bunnings had them once and they were described as a perennial climber.

Bunnings piss me off. Basically for this reason. They were selling garlic at my local one as I was harvesting the similar type. Piss poor in my opinion.

Just cooling the wort on another NZPA...

• 2.00 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt 45.5 % 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt  4.5 % 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Supernova Malt  4.5 % 
  • 1.70 kg Blonde LME  38.7%
  • 0.30 kg Sugar 6.8 % 
  • 20g Nelson Sauvin Boil - 40min  
  • 20g Kohatu - Boil 15min 
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin - Boil 15min
  • 20g Kohatu - Steep/Whirlpool - 30min 
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin - Steep/Whirlpool - 30min
  • 40g Kohatu- Dry Hop 3-Days 
  • 20g Nelson Sauvin - Dry Hop 3-days
  • Yeast: M36

Expected brew figures:

| OG=1.048 | IBU= 31 | EBC=16 | ABV=5% |

40 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Looks like a good brew there @BlackSands

And it nearly wasn't!  Was lifting the pot out of the cooling bath... and lost my grip and dropped it back into the tub!    ?

Fortunately it was only 12 litres of wort in a 21 litre pot so was it mostly contained. Phew!   ?

Mosaic Amber Ale , Hairys AG recipe from Lusty haha

3 kg P/a

.6 kg Munich

.2 kg Med crystal

.2 kg Biscuit

.1 kg Choc

.1 kg Acid malt

8 g Warrior

5 g Mosaic 10 min

20 Mosaic cube

25 g Mosaic dry

1272 yeast        IBU 25      OG 1041

Looking forward to this ! 

I'm doing a bit of a mongrel lager probably this Saturday but maybe next Saturday, just to use up the Saaz and probably most of the Hallertau Mittelfrueh. I did come up with a recipe in Beersmith but it seems to have disappeared completely, so I'll have to re-do it and then I can post it. This will probably be the last brew day of the year, certainly the last one I do in this house, and the wort won't be fermented until we move house. We've put an offer on a house we looked at over the weekend (dropping it into the agent today), so if it gets accepted and everything else with it goes to plan we should be able to move into it before the end of the year. If it doesn't work out we'll keep looking, but either way things will likely be too busy to do any more brewing until we're settled in a new place.

Archived