Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I haven't had a saison I liked yet.

No? I love them.
The issue is I guess, what makes a saison? Is it only the yeast? I have a kettle sour with passionfruit and a saison yeast - is it a saison?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they seem super popular, maybe I dont like them because I haven't brewed one? I like the idea around them, make the recipe toss in yeast and walk away. But the taste I get from some is too much, I haven't refined my pallete enough for esters to truly appreciate them. I also can taste the yeast in some...an aftertaste of something I dont like. But that has been in the 3 or 4 I have tried.

I have to say though how could it be bad with cascade? It sounds good, but I know my tastes.

Wow! I saw that recipe and, as always, I was like this guy probably has headhunters from breweries calling him daily! @Ben 10

Yeah that passionfruit sour with saison yeast could be what tips me into the saison hole. You should send me some and I will send a Ginger beer and 1 kilowog krush.

Yeah if I made one I would keep the temp down and try to accentuate the hops or coriander fruit whatever is tossed in. If I liked that then maybe try one where I let it free rise. I guess I have to go buy some to taste...you know for research purposes.

38 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I guess I have to go buy some to taste...you know for research purposes.

Norris, can you get La Serene from Vic where you are? 

As an introduction to Saison, try their Urban Pale. It’s my favourite pale ale, I pretty sure it’s made with a Saison yeast. So refreshing!

For something that is more Saisony have you tried the Bridge road Chevalier?

That is a great example of a megaswill Saison. 

Once you start to get a taste for it La Serene have some amazing horse blanket barrel aged sours. 

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Kelsey your recipe looks nice, I can see the oak really adding some dimensions, vanilla? Hahha that was an off hand joke about biotranformation.

Greeny! That looks super interesting, in an awesome way! It sounds tasty, but I haven't had a saison I liked yet.

Good brewing ya'll

Norris

The vanilla influence is behind the skipping the polyclar on this batch. I was reading about how polyphenols react with something in the timber or something to produce the vanillin. Polyclar removes polyphenols so it might not occur if I use it.

49 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Very so so on the bridge road chevalier. Very mild for a saison in my opinion. Dupont for me is the gold standard. But very overpriced.

That’s why I think it’s a good “beginners” Saison. It’s not too offensive. 

Du pont is definitely the gold standard. 

Ah I see. hahaha. Otto should change to the science dude on Simpsons!

My lager is coming along slowly. I had some setting to raise it to 14c today...I freaked out and changed it back to 10c. Because that's how I roll.  Cool, calm and collected. I should of checked the gravity.

So have on the boil at the moment and just killing time. :D

Recipe: Hard Root Beer
Brewer: Unknown
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Mixed Style Beer
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.85 L
Post Boil Volume: 23.96 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 61.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.72 kg          Dark Liquid Extract [Boil] (165.0 EBC)           Extract       1          73.1 %        1.93 L        
28.00 g          Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min               Hop           2          14.4 IBUs     -             
0.50 kg          Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil] [Boil for 15 min](0. Sugar         3          13.4 %        0.36 L        
0.50 kg          Amber Dry Extract [Boil] [Boil for 10 min](24.6  Dry Extract   4          13.4 %        0.32 L        
1.0 pkg          Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast         5          -             -             

I've posted this up before, I've made a tweak by moving the Lactose and Amber DME as a late addition.

Tristan

Just a nice pale ale today

3.2 kg P/A 

.4 kg munich II

.2 kg caramunich 

.1 kg Acid malt

6 g warrior 60min

30g Cascade 10 min

10g Cent + 30g Will cubed

25 each of cascade and Willamette dry 

001 yeast 

Making some really nice beers lately, good stuff

Have a box of hops in the fridge and was hoping to get rid of my last two cans of extract so I can finally move over to all grain, hoping to fill 3 fermenters this weekend ?

Can of Coopers Int Pale Ale ~ Fruit Salad?
Can of Morgans Light Lager ~ Thirst Quencher?

Tristan

Brew day went well today. OG of 1.0443 on this brew so if I get the full 25L into the fermenter that gives me an efficiency of 76.4% (I think).  Got the smoker going now doing a pork loin roast for dinner as well as a piece of bacon, which was made from a similar piece of loin. It will come out before the roast, gonna check temps when this lot of chips stops smoking. Good day!

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Brew day went well today. OG of 1.0443 on this brew so if I get the full 25L into the fermenter that gives me an efficiency of 76.4% (I think).  Got the smoker going now doing a pork loin roast for dinner as well as a piece of bacon, which was made from a similar piece of loin. It will come out before the roast, gonna check temps when this lot of chips stops smoking. Good day!

Sounds like a great day!!

Lil cleanup sesh pale on the boil at the moment, 'hop bursting' again after my idaho7 ale came out so damn nice.

4kg Golden Promise

500g Vienna

250g Oats

@15 30g Astra

@10 30g Ahtanum

@5 10g Astra

@FO 20g Mosaic

Cube hopping at 82c 30g Astra 30g Ahtanum 30g Mosaic

Gigayeast Vermont IPA slurry ?

Recipe: Lightweight Lager 175
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          100.0 %       1.96 L        
30.00 g          Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           2          22.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Bohemian Lager Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M84)      Yeast         3          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New house smaller garage but started a double batch.

Brew 1 Pilsner.

4.6k pilsner malt 

300g caramalt

200g Acidulated

Hops

Northeren brewer 27g 60m

Northeren brewer 35g 15m

Northeren brewer 40g flame out.

60 min mash 68deg no flame out.

90 min boil

Bohemian lager yeast.

Brew 2