Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

6 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Smartest move ever.

Plus, no more inspections. 

Exactly. Besides, what we put aside for the repayments won't really be any more per week than the rent plus saving we're doing now, so it's definitely the way we want to go. Things are looking good at the moment on all fronts though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. Lusty I've always hated the idea of renting long term, hell it's only been a bit over a year and I'm sick of it haha. Scoped out a brewing area should we get the place ?, but overall we both really like it and it's well within our budget so even better. The seller came back with a counter offer today, which I daresay we'll take, just have to discuss it with swmbo first. If we do then by the sounds of things we pretty much have it pending finance and building/pest inspection.

I offered a counter offer to the counter offer when I bought my place, and knocked another 2.5k off. Makes a difference in the long term. However understand the feeling if you just want to get it done! I think I literally did cartwheels when I got mine. And I'm not the cartwheel kind of physique. 

Cheers fellas! Yep already know where I'll brew, semi outdoors in the carport/garage which has a few power points. The keg fridge (bar later down the track) could either go in the "rumpus" area or the patio next to the carport. I liked having it out on the deck at the olds so I could do the outdoor setup again. Well protected from sun there too.

Recipe: How low can you go?
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 19.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.026 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.40 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   1          -             -             
1.72 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -             
1.55 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
0.11 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   4          -             -             
1.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         5          42.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         6          21.1 %        0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         7          21.1 %        0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         8          10.5 %        0.16 L        
0.12 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY® (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         9          5.1 %         0.08 L        
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           10         19.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml]  Yeast         11         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The race that stops a nation doesn't stop me brewing! ?

Pale Ale...

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Pilsen Light Dry Malt extract 500gms
Coopers Lager/Pilsner Malt grain 500gms
Munich Malt grain 300gms
Gladfield Supernova Malt grain 200gms
Weyermanns Dark Wheat Malt grain 200gms
Bravo 12gms @ 60mins
Citra 15gms @ 10, 5, 0mins
Bravo 8gms 0mins
Chinook 40gms dry hopped
Mosaic 30gms dry hopped
Nelson Sauvin 20gms dry hopped
US-05 yeast (rehydrated)
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18°C
OG = approx. 1.049
FG = approx. 1.012
EBC = 14.6
IBU = 33.9
Kegged ABV = approx. 4.8%

Cheers,

Lusty.

Recipe: Plum Porter
Style: American Porter

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 50.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 43.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
10.57 g          Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   1          -             -             
7.67 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   2          -             -             
6.11 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   3          -             -             
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         4          63.0 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         5          15.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         6          15.7 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         7          3.1 %         0.13 L        
0.15 kg          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC)     Grain         8          2.4 %         0.10 L        
50.00 g          Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           9          43.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml]        Yeast         10         -             -             
750.00 g         Prune (Secondary)                                Flavor        11         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Recipe: Plum Porter
Style: American Porter

Recipe Specifications...

...750.00 g         Prune (Secondary)                                Flavor        11         -             -             

I can only think just maybe my blueberry porter made an impression on you? ?

All fruits have different complexities & throw different weights of flavour when used in beer. That said, don't be afraid to throw some decent weight of fruit at your beers.

I used approx. 1.25kgs of blueberries in my Porter. Some fruits will "leach" flavours while others pretty much need to have the liquid flavours held within the skins squeezed & extracted out of them. I don't have all the knowledge in the world on how to effectively "macerate" all fruits successfully, but there are best practices for various types of fruit to infuse their flavours & it is certainly not a "one size fits all" type situation for all.

For hard skinned berries in particular I liked the idea of making a fruit compote wort combining the berries & some sugar/dextrose. It certainly worked well in my Porter.

Just my 2 cents, & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Nope - not you. Wifey came up with the hazelnut porter and I came up with the cherry stout - she was interested in me making this one, likes the dark beers she does. I will be soaking the prunes, as they are dehydrated plums I think there will be plenty. I made a compote with the cherries and that worked really well - that was based on reading your stuff.

Archived