Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2018 at 4:36 PM, Beerlust said:

If used this way I would expect it to throw very harsh tones much like Galaxy does when long boiled.

I just don't get this in real life. Theoretically it makes sense, but the smoothest, softest IPA I've ever made used a Galaxy bittering addition. It was fermented with an English Ale yeast which might have been enoug to take the edges off.

Cheers,

John

8 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I just don't get this in real life. Theoretically it makes sense, but the smoothest, softest IPA I've ever made used a Galaxy bittering addition. It was fermented with an English Ale yeast which might have been enoug to take the edges off.

Cheers,

John

I've definitely tasted the harshness of Galaxy when added too early in the boil and left to sit in a hot cube overnight.  Drinkable, not a tipper, but close!  Certainly not an award-winning beer nor my finest.  The yeast may have a bit to do with it - need someone (else not me!) to do further experiments!

11 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I just don't get this in real life. Theoretically it makes sense, but the smoothest, softest IPA I've ever made used a Galaxy bittering addition.

I'd be interested in what weight you used, how long it was boiled for, & in what gravity of wort it was added.

Wort gravity affects hop utilisation during the boil. This will play a part in softening harsher tones attributed to bitterness. The higher the gravity, the softer the tone. As a natural progression of long boiling, the wort increases in gravity throughout the boil as evaporation & hop absorption impact on it.

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

...It was fermented with an English Ale yeast which might have been enough to take the edges off.

There would be something to this too I reckon John. A more malt friendly yeast including most lager yeast strains that tend to smooth bitterness would certainly have an impact as well I would think.

The thing is Galaxy & Vic Secret for all intents & purposes are flavour & aroma hops that have been genetically engineered for this purpose. Why you would want to long boil them given that drives off most of that aromatic character does seem a little self-defeating when other marvellous hops such as Magnum ? can easily be used in a wider span of wort gravities using almost any yeast to ferment them without worrying about harsher tones presenting.

In the session-able 4 - 5.5% ABV range using hop friendly yeasts I've found long boiling these high co-humulone hops to be a No-No, & have found short boiling, steeping & dry hopping the zones to get the best out of them.

By all means John, put your little 'George' fermenter to work on some experiments though. I just don't have the time for those 'tipper' type mistakes through experimenting anymore.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Here is the recipe for the pale ale I'm brewing on Saturday. A couple of things not written there; target 35 litre pre boil volume and about 1.042-3 SG*, 75 minute boil. There will be a 40-50g dry hop later in the fermentation as well. Mineral salts are based on 36 litres distilled water.

I have to go to Craftbrewer tomorrow to get the yeast, and might pick up a couple of packets of Brewbrite and one of isinglass while I'm there as they getting low. Should be good for grains, the MO is getting low too, but I have a sack of Gladfield Ale malt from the last bulk buy that hasn't been opened yet, so I'll top up with that if need be.

*This part always seems to be on target but it never seems to increase the SG during the boil as much as BS predicts. We'll see on Saturday.

IMG_20180823_113559.thumb.jpg.bf35796a4f8b9ad3018abb87e27cf195.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Mash underway here, I only had 1.3kg of Maris Otter left, so used 3.2kg of the Gladfield Ale malt for the rest. Will be interested to see if my efficiency changes; Beersmith has the potential for the Gladfield listed at 1.037 vs the MO at 1.038. Will find out in a couple of hours when the pre boil SG and volume are measured.

Lots and lots of variables BB. I set mine to average 75 brewhouse efficiency but it does vary. Have done the same brew with same crush and same mash regimen and got 70 and 77 with different bags of the same grain. I have found the same bag of grain to be fairly consistent but it does vary between bags I have no doubt. The commercial breweries do have a tolerance which I believe is 0.3. i.e a 4.5% beer could be 4.2 or 4.8..

23 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

My goal is to get consistent efficiency. Some people get excited when they get super high efficiency but then it throws the balance out. I aim for 75% every brew to keep the balance of my beers. 

Same, my overall efficiency is usually around 75% as well. I like to know the mash efficiency though, then if the OG is too low I can rule out the mash as the problem. I don't worry about a couple of points but if was under by 5 or more I'd be looking into it.

I just put down another Pacific ale,

1.5kg briess pilsner lme

500g light dry malt

250g wheat malt

250 dextrose almost left this out for 250g more of malt

250g carapils steeped

50g of each motueka, nz cascade, and galaxy steeped for 15 minutes then actively cooled to pitching temp. expecting 24ibus. I toyed with a 60min bitterness addition but after reading my notes I went with a steep to get all the flavour and aroma without losing it on a long boil. My warrior hops are getting old but..I truly love what I get from late additions.

m54 yeast rehydrated. Sitting in the fermentation chamber, 1st one in, at 22c but have it set for 17c, so will see how long it takes to come down to that temp. I will ramp up the temp 1 degree a day on day 4 until it hits 22c. then dry hop 35g of each hop, 5g/l.

I am hoping for a clean and crisp ale that is similar to some of the pacific ales out there. I am loving these beers right now.

Norris

Yeah both you guys are on the right track. Some other ones are like kaiju krush, brewmanities the beast, thunder road pacific ale and stone and wood pacific ale.

I like ales that are easy drinking but have a nice nose to them, hop aroma, and to a lesser extent whatever malt there is and or esters from the yeast. So I try for around 22 to 26ibus on these beers. I want them to be crisp and to highlight whatever hops I am using. That is what I get and expect when I drink a pacific ale. I guess thunder road and stone and wood breweries were in a 10 year battle over the name pacific ale, the court said it was a style not a brand, so I started calling my ales like this Pacific ales.

I used m54 yeast because I am familiar with it and it is clean but I have used several different yeasts in this style with barbarian from imperial yeasts being the one that really stuck out as bringing more complexity to the previous versions. My lhbs didn have any not expired in stock so I went with the m54.

Not sure I'll get a post boil SG tonight, too much crud in the jugs I'm drawing from the dregs in the urn to get a good amount of clear wort for a reading. Might have to wait until pitching day. 

I've done pitching day readings in the past even on batches where I did a post boil reading on brew day, and the pitching day readings were always a couple of points lower for some reason. 

To easy Hoods. When I met my wife I was like "does Australia have any rappers?" She bought me a Hoods CD and I have been a believer ever since. When I was in Iraq I sent them a message and I even got one back from Suffa. It was cool and helped make a shitty place nice, for as long as it took me to read the message at least.

Norris

Archived