Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Ive never used Hallertauer Mittelfrueh before and wow does that give off a herbal spicy aroma.

It smelt sensational. 

Of the Hallertau family, Mittlefruh is my favourite too. It has a nice floral & spicy note to it that I like. I'd like to use it a little more but it'd just get buried in among the other hops I use in my pale ales. ?

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Well brew a lager with it then Lusty ? The ones I've been doing recently have been turning out really well. I'm looking forward to getting back into some pilsners but these German lagers have been very nice in the meantime.

I've postponed the big stout brew day for another weekend. The dog is going to obedience training at the moment and that kind of brew day is one that I really would rather start early around 7-7.30 instead of 9, given the two mashes will add about 90 minutes to the brew day if not more when you include the time to drain the bag twice. Not brewing at all this week now, but the next one will be a pale ale with Vic Secret, which is one of the ones I bought last order to try. Given my recent move to cube hopping pale ales I'd prefer to brew it closer to the pitching day than 4 or 5 weeks out from it just in case the cube hops start throwing grassy tones. There's 4 weeks including tomorrow left of dog training so after that's done I'll do the stout brew and it will just ferment at ambient the other spare room. That room seems to keep a pretty constant temperature, and in a month or so's time it should be perfect for ale fermentations.

Cheers

Kelsey

Only thing I can say is record everything from the first few brews. i.e how much strike water. After taking grain out how much wort before boil. After boil how much wort etc..

That will help your beersmith predictions get more accurate. I did that the first few then after a while you just know the numbers in your head.

Looks a yummy brew. Never tried denali hops before but after googling them I might have to source some. 

I don't have mobile beersmith but it should be somewhere in the figures like batch size, boil time etc. on the recipe design bit. I think it defaults to 70%, which sounds about right for 6kg or so of grain in a 28 litre batch size.

PS you'll only need about half a whirlfloc tablet too.

If I Well all finished and cleaned up, 9am-2pm. Happy with that. Time to enter all the figures but what I do know is the OG was a lot higher at 1.060 haha.

If I entered the figures correctly i got 68% BH efficiency, is this good ?

On 8/3/2018 at 1:28 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well brew a lager with it then Lusty ?

I have a lager brew in rotation at the moment that I am continuing to work on until I get it where I want it. I have a lot of hops in my fridge atm so a BIG pale ale is on the cards for my next brew, but after that, another crack at improving the 'Enterprising Lager' will follow. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I did a simple brew today but keen for the results. A golden ale from BlackRock. With 1 can of ultra light malt extract and 250g of carapils with a 20minute steep of 30g of citra and 15g of Nelson sauvin while the wort was cooking in an ice bath. I will dry hop this at 2to1 probably, so something like 35g of citra and 15g of Nelson sauvin.  I used M42 yeast from mangrove Jack's. This took me less than 2 hours all up, here's hoping for a nice one.

Norris

3 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

If I Well all finished and cleaned up, 9am-2pm. Happy with that. Time to enter all the figures but what I do know is the OG was a lot higher at 1.060 haha.

If I entered the figures correctly i got 68% BH efficiency, is this good ?

For a first time yeah it is. I think my first time was early 60s. Average about 75% these days with changes to my crush and ph adjustments and also sparging in my robobrew but wouldn't worry about BH efficiency for now. Just get your process down pat then make tweaks to it. 

Yep. It aint difficult once you get the hang of it and the taste is certainly a step up from kits and extracts. Cheaper too. When you do it a few times you will hardly have to be there either. I usually mow the lawn and garden when i brew. Set alarms on the phone and come back and drop in hops etc

Spent grain and hops make decent compost as well.

7 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Only thing I can say is record everything from the first few brews. i.e how much strike water. After taking grain out how much wort before boil. After boil how much wort etc..

That will help your beersmith predictions get more accurate. I did that the first few then after a while you just know the numbers in your head.

Looks a yummy brew. Never tried denali hops before but after googling them I might have to source some. 

Top advice Greeny. I started my brew diary from day 1 and listened to you guys when you said take measurements and record them throughout the all grain process. I dialled in my kettle volumes/timings/temps after about 3 brews, then got my own mill and had to dial that in too.

In contrast to my brewing buddy who doesn't keep any notes and still hasn't yet nailed the exact strike volume and efficiency for his system. Def pays off to do it right the first time.

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I have a lager brew in rotation at the moment that I am continuing to work on until I get it where I want it. I have a lot of hops in my fridge atm so a BIG pale ale is on the cards for my next brew, but after that, another crack at improving the 'Enterprising Lager' will follow. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I know about that one, I meant make one with just Hallertau Mittelfrüh minus all the fruity hops, at least then you'll be able to taste/smell its influence ??

Put down my 3rd 1st borough lager (brew 12) today. First one I bastardised with Amarillo and it's sensational so trying to emulate it. Hallertau Mittelfrüh FTW. 2nd one I added some Munich grain and cascade instead. Bottled last night and it didn't taste as good. Back to the original I say. Got my  w34/70 on 6th gen though it may be a bit of a gamble. Silly too as I've got a pack in the fridge. Once you start washing, it's hard to get out of the habit.

elaine benes idk GIF

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

It's as complicated as you want to make it. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

That it is Lusty, but looking from the sidelines it was quite the step from extract. Now completing my first AG, all I can say to people that haven't is give it a go..... it's very achievable, even on the simplest of setups. Obviously I'm still waiting and eager to taste me first AG, but time will tell. Thanks to this forum I'm at the level I am.

Cheers, Hoppy

Archived