• Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

Just pitched the yeast in my next batch. I've gone another toucan consisting of

1.7kg Coopers Draught 

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa 

0.2kg Dextrose   

made to 25 litres                         

175mls rinsed slurry from my previous batch (O.S. kit yeast) & dry pitched 1 pkt O.S kit yeast at 18°C

O.G. was 1.044 

Still have some Cascade left over (20g) that I opted not to use in the toucan I just bottled (really liked the F.G. hydro sample so I didn't end up dry hopping)  so I might dry hop this one instead ?

First brew night in the new brewery, all went well, almost ready to start doing some experimenting with BIAB. ?

Cheers, Lee

On 7/8/2018 at 7:40 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Looks sensational Lusty. I’ve always been impressed with this beer looking at it, but now I have more experience with different hops and styles I think it looks like a cracking beer.

Thanks mate. A few of the boys on the forum have brewed all-grain versions of the beer & enjoyed it. ☺️

On 7/8/2018 at 7:40 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

For all of you out there that like ambers and want to brew one with extract. Brew this and you’ll be on a winner.

For those kit brewers out there, Coopers DIY developed a very similar kit based recipe that I too have brewed, that will produce a beer very close to my extract/partial recipe.

Coopers DIY Recipe: Midnight Mosaic Amber Ale

It's a nice beer to be drinking this time of year. 

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

Brew day tomorrow. Another Northern English brown ale styled beer, and probably the last of this type for the year as once the keg goes on tap and is emptied, the weather will be warming up again.

Water profile built from scratch using distilled water. Mashed at 64C for 70 minutes, then 72C for 20 minutes before mash out at 78C. Fermenting at 18C.

Estimated FG is 1.0114 for an ABV of 4.7%.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 35.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 31.56 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 24.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.0473 SG
Estimated Color: 41.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
36.00 L          Brisbane Water (Dark Ales)                       Water         1          -             -             
7.23 g           Chalk (Mash)                                     Water Agent   2          -             -             
4.67 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
3.98 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   4          -             -             
3.90 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   5          -             -             
0.44 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   6          -             -             
4.000 kg         Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC Grain         7          78.4 %        2.61 L        
0.300 kg         Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EB Grain         8          5.9 %         0.20 L        
0.200 kg         Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC)                 Grain         9          3.9 %         0.13 L        
0.200 kg         Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         10         3.9 %         0.13 L        
0.200 kg         Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1100.0 EBC)     Grain         11         3.9 %         0.13 L        
0.200 kg         Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         12         3.9 %         0.13 L        
30.00 g          Fuggle [5.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min            Hop           13         18.1 IBUs     -             
10.00 g          Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           14         10.2 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)           Yeast         15         -             -             

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:39 AM, Beerlust said:

Thanks mate. A few of the boys on the forum have brewed all-grain versions of the beer & enjoyed it. ☺️

The AG Mosaic Amber Ale I made was pretty good.

But I was cunningly clever. I tweaked it just enough to take the credit if it was good, but not enough that I couldn't still blame you if was shit null

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

But I was cunningly clever. I tweaked it just enough to take the credit if it was good, but not enough that I couldn't still blame you if was shit null

I remember. ?

I was just glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

Nothing wrong with inspiration. But stealing and calling it your own? 

Thats a real hairy thing to do ha ha ?

1 degree and a 0600 start to my brew day but I am up early brewing!!

I’m brewing my Bohemian Pilsner with Saaz and MJ’s Bavarian Lager yeast. 

This will be brewed and lagered for a couple of months.............hopefully!!!!

BF400173-B197-4776-A6CD-6DA5866AB51F.jpeg

Brew day today, converting my brother in law to the dark side that is home brewing. I kept it simple.

1.7kg Coppers English Bitter kit

1.3kg Light Dry Malt

250g Dextrose

25g Challenger - hop tea 

23 litres

Nottingham yeast

OG - 1048

Easiest brew day I have had for a while and should produce some good beer. He is lucky; most people’s first batch is the Lager with BE1 fermented at 30 degrees.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Brew day today, converting my brother in law to the dark side that is home brewing. I kept it simple.

1.7kg Coppers English Bitter kit

..and you call yourself an experienced brewer?!! ? Shame...shame... ?

Would you like a Coppers Larger? ?

I haven't used Challenger. What do you like flavour-wise about it in an EB?

Good onya for setting your brother-in-law on the right path though. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

..and you call yourself an experienced brewer?!! ? Shame...shame... ?

Would you like a Coppers Larger? ?

I haven't used Challenger. What do you like flavour-wise about it in an EB?

Good onya for setting your brother-in-law on the right path though. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

He is an English Bobby so I thought that kit to be appropriate ?

The main reason for using Challenger was that it was the only English Hop I had in my freezer. Plus I really like it. I often (but not always for some reason) get a marmalade type flavour from it which is great in an EB.

17 minutes ago, Hairy said:

He is an English Bobby so I thought that kit to be appropriate ?

Your choice of kit was spot on. I wasn't haven't having a dig about the kit brewing, just your pronunciation of "Coopers" as some new to the forum often write "Coppers" & "Larger" instead of lager. ? 

20 minutes ago, Hairy said:

The main reason for using Challenger was that it was the only English Hop I had in my freezer. Plus I really like it. I often (but not always for some reason) get a marmalade type flavour from it which is great in an EB.

OK. Marmalade. I'll remember that. Thanks. ?

Hopefully your B-I-L's first experience into home brewing is a good one. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Your choice of kit was spot on. I wasn't haven't having a dig about the kit brewing, just your pronunciation of "Coopers" as some new to the forum often write "Coppers" & "Larger" instead of lager. ? 

I got that. An English Bobby is a copper.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

I got that. An English Bobby is a copper.

I know that, as do many, but you slipped up you newb & you're not worming your way out of it despite how clever your quick thinking & retort actually is! ?

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

...1.7kg Coppers English Bitter kit...

There is no such thing as a 1.7kg Coppers English Bitter kit. ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi everyone,

Just put down my version of the Coopers Czech Pils recipe

86 Days Pilsner Kit 1.7kg

800g LDM

25g Saaz steeped for 15 mins in 500mls boiled water

Water to 21 litres

O.G of 1.038

Kit yeast and a 10g pkt of saflager w-34/70 rehydrated 

Pitched at 17°C 

Will hold at that temp until morning then set controller to 11°C for the next 6-10 days.  Then raise up to 18°C until day 14,  when I'll cold crash if stable S.G until day 21.

Really looking forward to drinking this in a couple months ?

Cheers, Lee

On 7/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, Hairy said:

As did I... It was yummy! 

Cheers, 

John

Archived