Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Cap! Yeah I have been progressing steadily. I just put down a K&K of the cerveza with BE2, as a quick brew and I can def tell the difference in what I have been doing and that K&K. The grains bring a freshness to the batch that I like. I do love how a kit can take 20 minutes or less but the extra time I put in, now, makes the beer SO much better. Opportunity cost is time spent brewing, an extra 2 hours but the payoff has been worth it.

19 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Thanks Cap! Yeah I have been progressing steadily. I just put down a K&K of the cerveza with BE2, as a quick brew and I can def tell the difference in what I have been doing and that K&K. The grains bring a freshness to the batch that I like. I do love how a kit can take 20 minutes or less but the extra time I put in, now, makes the beer SO much better. Opportunity cost is time spent brewing, an extra 2 hours but the payoff has been worth it.

Well said Norris.

12 months time you’ll have a 3v system, brewing a 13% double Russian imperial stout with bourbon, juniper and blueberry.

I look forward to that post!

Captain

Hahaha! I spit my beer out reading that! "Juniper and blueberry" hahaha! But on a side note my wife loves 2birds passion victim, they use mango juice, but not a ton, it came across as a sh@@load of galaxy to me, so who knows(evil laugh which fades to dreams of brewing on a 3v system).evil laugh GIF

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

I am almost thinking about dropping the galaxy for amarillo or citra but I already have the galaxy so...but the centennial is staying, it is one of my favourite hops, but judging from some other posts it seems everyone likes some Centennial!?

Yep. Centennial is definitely one of my favourites. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty! I have to say your example showed me anyone could do a partial mash ?brew.

Just Kidding! Your recipes and processes, the ones I can pick up on here, has given me the confidence to try to use grain more in my brews.

Norris

Hey Brew Dudes

Firstly a weather update from the Valley,  it's 4oC and like pea soup out there this morning.

fog GIF

I am off to the Valley Brewery right now to put my Burton on Trent Strike Water on:

30 litres of Valley Brew Water

18g Gypsum

11g Epsom Salt

5g Baking Soda

5g Chalk

a pinch of Calcium Chloride

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

5 hours ago, Scottie said:

Hey Brew Dudes

Firstly a weather update from the Valley,  it's 4oC and like pea soup out there this morning.

fog GIF

I am off to the Valley Brewery right now to put my Burton on Trent Strike Water on:

30 litres of Valley Brew Water

18g Gypsum

11g Epsom Salt

5g Baking Soda

5g Chalk

a pinch of Calcium Chloride

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Scottie I’m super interested in how this turns out for ya. 

Like you’ve said it’s a pretty radical profile, so I’d love to find how this compares to other brews you’ve made

Captain

Ben I def will keep everyone posted. I cannot wait for it. I almost went with Joystick which is citra and barbarian yeasts blended, which would of worked well on this centennial and galaxy batch, but I thought I should know what each one bring individually first.

Norris

Little Irish Red again and this...

Recipe: US Wheat 336
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Wheat Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          48.1 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          48.1 %        1.63 L        
0.20 kg          Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC)                 Grain         3          3.8 %         0.13 L        
10.00 g          Topaz [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min            Hop           4          18.6 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Topaz [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           5          10.3 IBUs     -             
10.00 g          Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          4.8 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today im brewing a Bohemian Pilsner.

3.250kg Weyermann Bo Pils Malt, 95.6%

100g Melanoidin Malt, 2.9%

50g Acidulated Malt, 1.5%

90 min mash at 66°C

90 min boil

No Chill

25g Saaz FWH 3.7% AA for 20.7 IBU

25g Saaz 10 mins 3.7% AA for 10.1 IBU

25g Saaz Flameout 3.7% AA for 6.2 IBU

WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager

1.041 OG

37 IBU

16.5 litres into FV

Pitch yeast at 10°C, ferment at 10°C for 4 days, ramp up 2.5°C every 12 hours until it reaches 18°C. Leave at 18°C until FG is reached. Then ramp down 2.5°C every 12 hours until it reaches 1°C for cold crash. Leave there for 5 days, then bottle. Warm back up to 18°C for 3 weeks then lager in bottles in the freezing cold Melbourne shed.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Brew day! ?

Time for another batch of my Mosaic Amber Ale.

I've been pining for some of this lately. ?

For a small twist (this time) I'm going to add a little honey late in the boil.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty, 

Since your first attempt at this amber ale, has the recipe changed much?

Obviously apart from the honey, this time.

It does seem like a cracking beer and I think the pairing of Mosaic with an amber is spot on

Captain

Hiya Captain. ?

I did one major variation on the recipe listed in the first post...once. It was nowhere near as good. All other brews I have done of this recipe have been exactly as written in the O.P.

It just works. I'm very proud of this beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Double brew day;

EB

Coopers EB kit

500g LIght DME

100g Gladfields Crystal Rye

50g Gladfields Chocolate Rye

21 L 

S-04 @ 19C

Pale (Inspired by Gash Slugg's NEIPA recipe)

Coopers APA kit

2Kg Gladfields American Pale Ale Malt

250g Flaked Rye

20g Centennial + 10g Citra @ FO

20g Centennial + 10 g Citra @ 70C for 30 mins. 

Thinking double dry Hop of the above combo day 7 and day10?

21L

US-05 @ 19C

OG 1044

Cheers,

Dave

3 minutes ago, Koo wee brew said:

Double brew day;

EB

Coopers EB kit

500g LIght DME

100g Gladfields Crystal Rye

50g Gladfields Chocolate Rye

21 L 

S-04 @ 19C

Pale (Inspired by Gash Slugg's NEIPA recipe)

Coopers APA kit

2Kg Gladfields American Pale Ale Malt

250g Flaked Rye

20g Centennial + 10g Citra @ FO

20g Centennial + 10 g Citra @ 70C for 30 mins. 

Thinking double dry Hop of the above combo day 7 and day10?

21L

US-05 @ 19C

OG 1044

Cheers,

Dave

I agree with that dry hop method. Nice one. 

As long as your getting time on your day 10 dry hop fair call. 

Captain

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hiya Captain. ?

I did one major variation on the recipe listed in the first post...once. It was nowhere near as good. All other brews I have done of this recipe have been exactly as written in the O.P.

It just works. I'm very proud of this beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Looks sensational Lusty. I’ve always been impressed with this beer looking at it, but now I have more experience with different hops and styles I think it looks like a cracking beer.

For all of you out there that like ambers and want to brew one with extract. Brew this and you’ll be on a winner.

Captain

21 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I agree with that dry hop method. Nice one. 

As long as your getting time on your day 10 dry hop fair call. 

Captain

Cheers mate,

I usually ferment Ales for 14 days before a week CC. I think that this will be enough time to get benefit from a dry Hop at day 10. 

Dave

Archived